A bear story

Discussion in 'Wilderness' started by cluckeyo, May 31, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    When we were hiking the PCT out in California, we saw some bears. One day a bear came out and stood right on the trail about 100 feet in front of us, a black bear which is less aggressive than some. Glenn stepped in front of me, started clanging his trekking poles together, making loud noises, and rushed towards it. Believe it or not, the bear ran away. I'm not sure this was the correct thing to do. But it did work. Any other wild animal experiences?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Smokie is about 10 years old now large male about 700lb black bear he lives here on my place he lives in the shed where the balers are stored he is not a pet but he is cool we share what we have with him he is our early alert when he hears or smells something he dont like he lets us know

cluckeyo likes this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Many years ago up in the Territory a friend & I were camped out on army camp beds out in the open. One night a wild pig came charging through the camp & ran right into my mate's bed throwing him out & tipping the bed over. He was luckily not injured. There was no way of telling whether it was a sow or a boar, nor of course do we know why it charged through our camp. Wild boars can be very dangerous, they will kill & eat you & unless you have a gun can be very difficult to stop.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]
    This wild boar was shot here in New England NSW using an antique Black Powder cartridge 12 gauge shotgun loaded with round ball.

cluckeyo likes this.
  4. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Went boar hunt in texas with bow good solid shot in lungs at 20 yards that pig tore. Woods up bleeding out to die

5. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    I remember the video of a swedish man that scares off bears by screaming them in their faces. Seems like sudden loud noises discourage bears to charging at you.

6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    there are a lot of wild boar in North Devon, I say "wild" they were let out from a farm by the Animal Liberation lot and have since expanded, they now roam from South Molton in the North to the fringes of Plymouth in the South.
    they ripped up the lawn of a local public house(tavern) and scared a few dog walkers but nothing too dramatic.
    a boar hunt was organised with Johnny Kingdom-a local celebrity- as a tracker but they never found any.