A Pack of Cigarette?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by John Snort, Jun 11, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    According to one prepper whether you smoke or not you should also buy a pack or two of cigarette because post-event when cigarette will be hard to find, offering someone a cigarette could make them your friend long enough for you to get what you want from them.

Or if your companions happen to be smokers the cigarettes can help calm their withdrawals.

Thoughts?

cluckeyo likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    No one in my family or group smokes. I think trading of any kind is not wise. No one has anything I want. I have better things to spend my money on.

IF my companion smoked, they would have to stop smoking or leave. I can smell cigarette smoke a long way off, & the glow from a cigarette can be seen at night.
    Keith.

John Snort likes this.
  3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I gave up smoking back in 95, I wouldn't bother, cigarettes aren't cheap these days and i'm sure I could spend my money on something better.
    trading will be a long time down the road post collapse and dosent really figure in my plans.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    I don't smoke and neither does my close friends. I find it to be a nasty habit. The only benefit I see in having tobacco in storage is for bartering sometime down the road. I don't need it to survive, but it might come in handy in bartering. It's my ace in my back pocket.

5. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Food and fist aid help better. Barter than smokes

6. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    Its quite ok. The basics first and cigarettes come towards the rear end when it comes to basic necessities. I would view the time spent prepping as an opportunity to quit the cancer sticks anyday. I am not a smoker and would feel irredeemably guilty was I to carry a pack of cigarettes and then proceed to offer a stick to someone who doesn't smoke. But they can become handy in the thick jungle since the strong aroma would scare dangerous animals away.

7. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I guess having a pack around would be an advantage if you could trade it against food or water but only if there is no other way possible. Other than that I would also think that such an apocalypse would rather encourage you to stop smoking.

8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think the survival rate will be so low that we'll be lucky if we see anyone else let alone want to trade with them.

9. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I wonder why movies about survival always have the cigarettes and whiskey (or liquor) in their scenes. My impression is that the director or writer is a smoker and drinker so they just want to be realistic. This is not a turnoff for the smokers but I'm sure those things would be forgotten when you are in survival mode. What I mean by forgotten is the importance will be at the lowest since the primary need would be water and food and safe shelter as well. I don't think you would still crave for a smoke or a drink when you are running away to escape potential capture by enemies or you are in the woods wary of potential predators.

There was this notion that when the government would impose a higher tax on cigarettes, the number of smokers will dwindle. But when the tax was doubled, nothing happened. What lessened the number of smokers is the ban on smoking in almost all places in Metro Manila. The restriction had discouraged at least 10% of smokers (based on the sales of cigarettes in the past year) because of the difficulty to find smoking areas. Almost all buildings in Metro Manila are no-smoking zones so you have to walk a distance to find a smoking area. Even parks here also disallow smoking.

10. ally79

ally79 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Personally, I think that it is an excellent idea to keep a couple of cartons of cigarettes around, as well as dried tobacco and rolling papers, and alcohol. Even if you don't use these things personally they make great barter items in a SHTF type of situation.

Ashton_XIII likes this.
  11. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    Mr. Cluckeyo has almost quit, completely. He first cut back to 3/4 cig, then for awhile he went 1/2 cig. Then 1/4, then 2 puffs. Now one puff, at a time!! It's taken several months and he still can't let go of that one puff. But he's not coughing anymore, like he used to. Except when that one puff shocks him for a second! And yeah, I think having cigs in the survival kit is a good idea!

12. crmeche2

crmeche2 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Have you ever thought of other uses for cigarettes other than barter? For example, moist tobacco is good to put on a sting or bite. It can also be used to carry embers to another location. There are plenty of other survival uses for cigarettes other than a nicotine fit. A pack or two doesn't take up much space.

hollowgirl likes this.
  13. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    There's no point in doing this. The cigarettes will run out and then people will be addicted to something they can't have anyway. It's better to not have any addictions then you won't have to worry about withdraws. Cigarettes are terrible for your health anyways.

14. rickymuus

rickymuus New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Having cigarettes is a good idea. Cigarettes could be used as currency to buy other supplies or even barter with other goods. As much as they are expensive their value is highly likely to rise after doomsday, given that heavy smokers can't do without their poison.

15. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Sure, why not? It's not like a pack of cigarettes weights anything. And yes, you could definitely barter with it. As long as you are traveling and manage to exchange it for anything heavier than the pack itself, then you just saved yourself some weight. :)

16. MelissavdW27

MelissavdW27 New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    As I am reading through this thread and comments, I am sitting with a cigarette in my hand. I've been smoking for a very long time and don't intend to stop soon. However, if the situation demands that I stop, I probably will. Facing the decision of getting smokes or getting food for my kids will definitely be motivation. I am including a carton of cigarettes in my prep bag, whether it be for my own smoking benefit, to use for other survival tricks or to use to trade with, they will be a feature. I personally think it's a good idea to have a pack or two (even if you are not a smoker) with you because it has more than one use post-event.

17. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I've never smoked because my dad used to have a horrible habit. I don't like cigarettes, I think they're a stupid way to pay to kill yourself and they're an excuse for your inability to remain calm on your own. People that need them to not be stressed out are turning their personal responsibility into the need for a cigarette, what does it even do? It just ruins your baseline, now you NEED cigarettes. Not gonna keep em around, would lecture anyone I tried to trade them to, and even then, I don't trust people as is...let alone in a bad situation.

18. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I agree it will only be a mere distraction from the situation that surrounds that person. It might work for a little while but they will run out soon and by that time the person that could help you has moved on.

19. Iohndee

Iohndee New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    While I understand meeting new friends is a never ending cycle and the eagerness to help those we already have, I wouldn't try it with anything toxic.

I smoked for 26 years and among those years, many are the times I regretted to have picked the habit. I longed to quit, but as any smoker will tell you, its not easy.

When I finally managed to quit, it was a great relief. The reason I so badly wanted to quit is because I knew it was and still is harmful to anyone's health. How then can my conscience allow me to aid the same habit?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  20. tgthewriter1

tgthewriter1 New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I think people will start vapping. People are not going to smoking cigarettes in future. Vapping is a lot cheaper. I will say that people who smoke are easier to get along.

21. neoKit

neoKit New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I don't think that you should carry a packet of cigarettes and yet you don't smoke. My friend told me that he could carry some cigarettes to keep himself warm on a cold day. Cigarettes are not necessary for survival and you can avoid them if you can.

22. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    with the factories shut down and no more being made, smoking will become just another addiction preppers can do without.

23. emmaruthnagano

emmaruthnagano New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Do not encourage someone who is trying to quit and don't have cigarettes with them. This could be the perfect chance for them to get rid off te nicotine in their body. Smoking could kill you. Besides, you might be tempted to try one if you have it in your hand.

24. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    trading is only okay if it is safe to do so, immediately post SHTF it wont be safe, better to spend that money on something we need ourselves.

25. hollowgirl

hollowgirl Administrator Gold Supporter
      85/99

Blog Posts:
    One point no one has brought up is that tobacco can be grown quite easily if a smoker wished to continue smoking after SHTF. The way I look at prepping is that you are planning for the future so you do not have to do without later. In addition, organic tobacco would not have the dangerous chemicals added by cigarette manufacturers.

26. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think trading post shtf would be a very dangerous enterprise, & smoking is also dangerous with or without the added chemicals. Yes I guess if you do not care for your own health or the health of those living with you, then you could grow your own if the climate suits.
    Keith.

lonewolf likes this.
  27. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Me I am a non smoker and I would not be spending money on cigarettes
    but
    They will be a valuable item so I would not pass them up as salvage.

hollowgirl likes this.
  28. JimLE

JimLE Expert Member
      198/230

Blog Posts:
    i'm a smoker.and i find,by going to the tobacco barn and buying filtered cigars is a whole lot cheaper then buying cigarettes.pluss i buy the ones on sale.just yesterday.i bought 4 cartons for the price of 2 cartons..so i paid 20.98 + tax instead of 41.96 + tax..i have thought of buying a bag/pouch of rolling tobacco,seeing how it's good to use on bee stings..

hollowgirl likes this.
  29. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If wanting to keep tobacco fresh, don't forget to have a humidor, else tobacco dries out and goes to waste flavor-wise. Freezing tobacco crystallizes the water content and results in "freezer burn". Poor man's humidor = big glass jar with an apple nailed to underside of the wooden lid. Change your apple or half apple as the old one gets nasty with rot & mold.

I wonder if nitrogen storage would work? I wonder if oxygen absorber packs would work? Does anyone out there have experience with such?

hollowgirl likes this.
  30. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Don't grow tobacco during a survival situation! I come from tobacco country and tobacco plants EAT the soil -- suck all the nutrients out. Left-over tobacco sticks (trunk of the plant on which the leaves grow) make for super fertilizer -- works as good as horse dung. Tobacco sticks are almost too much fertilizer and will burn grass / grass seeds unless you put wet straw over the grass-seeded ground prior to laying the tobacco sticks thereupon.

31. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Give it away Jim, smoking will kill you eventually one way or the other. Can't believe a prepper/survivalist smoking!!!
    Keith.

32. LilSoldierGirl

LilSoldierGirl Expert Member
      173/230

Blog Posts:
    I have never smoked, but my understanding is that cigarettes go stale. If that is correct wouldn't that make them a poor choice for long term storage?

I have spent periods of time in remote locations in the third world. So remote we were inserted and resupplied by helicopter. So dangerous we were tooled up all the time. Yet our small unit of 12 still set up a bartering system with a boy from a local village. We recharged his mobile phones (yep, coverage even in that remote spot), and he supplied us with fresh food. Despite the location and high threat level this little enterprise worked well.

33. JimLE

JimLE Expert Member
      198/230

Blog Posts:
    yeah.i heard that tobacco plant eat up the nutrients real fast.2 years when the soil is done up right,to begin with.then hold off a certain amount of years,while taking the needed steps to replace the nutrients.

34. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Can plant alfalfa over and over, but most folk dump hundreds of pounds of store-bought fertilize on these fields.

35. Birla Andrei Marian

Birla Andrei Marian New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Hello, I'm a smoker since I was 18 when I left professional football because of an injury. What I can definitely say is like a strong mental man can not be manipulated with a cigarette. Yes, although I know it's not a healthy habit I like to smoke, but still I have the power not to smoke and for 2-3 days when I go to my parents home, out of respect for them because they are not smokers. Indeed, there are also weak people who can be manipulated, but it is not necessary for cigarettes to be banned, it is enough to have a bad financial phase or simply to lack cigarettes at some point. This idea can be applied in any context that contains at least one addiction, it is quite vague. Anyway, interesting idea, I think you'll be successful in business.

36. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    No you do not have the power to quit smoking. Smoking is a way of slow suicide, if you were serious about wanting to live & be healthy, & you had the power/ability to stop smoking, then you would do so. I used to be a smoker, then one day something happened that made me realise that my lack of fitness due to smoking almost cost someone else their life. I went home & thru the cigarettes in the bin. I have not smoked since. Stop kidding yourself, your lack of health could cost someone their life!
    Keith.