Ammo Storage?

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by CivilDefense, May 26, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    I am curious about how others are storing/stockpiling their ammo supply. Personally, I take surpluses out metal ammo cans, paint them as needed, and then place a label indicating the caliber/gauge on the front and top. And then, rinse and repeat. So far, so good and no real issues.

How about you? Any issues you ran into with your method? Thanks.

2. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    Ammo cans are great. That's what ammo cans are for.
    They are made to be stacked outdoors nears guns for quick use.
    I like the new ones made of plastic.
    They never rust. I store most of my ammo in plastic ammo cans.
    Mil surp cans have dried up around here and are now more money than plastic ones.
    I've even used plastic bags heat sealed for extra ammo.
    Not at all necessary but works.

PCH likes this.
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Ammo cans. Put in lockable metal cabinets / gun cabinets dedicated to ammo. Temperature: Exposure to extreme temps must be prevented. Moisture exposure will cause cartridge case corrosion. If you have bulk quantities (range-blasting surplus for practice) store away from your house and the houses of others -- locked in stand-alone shed is best. Fireproof safes serve to store ammo, handguns, and important paperwork.

Make sure your security is such that your ammo doesn't fall into the hands of felons, genetic trash, evil people. I have motion detection devices watching locked containers. I have an electronic, battery backed-up, perimeter that is ALWAYS switched on at bedtime. Add canine(s). If you live anywhere near a location where home invasions could occur, keep a chopped handgun in your pocket at night. I've got some lightweight "friends". This is the norm for me. I've never lived where there were not weapons all around me -- even as a child. Even in grammar school, I'd drop the bolt out of my uncle's German Mauser he'd liberated during WWII, drag it out of the closet and clean it. My Grandma always kept a revolver nearby. I was not permitted to touch the handguns. One did not disobey the men in my family, or God-forbid, grandma. All rules were absolute and punished with physical pain.

Owning firearms and ammo requires rigid self-discipline. Develop your rules after seeking advice and doing your readings -- the NRA is a rich source of safety information. Follow the rules, absolutely. Never stray from disciplined behavior. No compromises. This was driven into me as a child -- if you didn't suffer such, then you are going to have to burn the rules into your own head.

4. Okaviator

Okaviator Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    I've just always stored ammo in labeled plastic containers. It doesn't really matter what you store ammo in, as long as you label the ammo correctly.

jeager likes this.
  5. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    Pretty much correct.
    I'd just not store in a damp place but you wouldn't either.
    Mil spec surplus ammo cans are great.
    They are made to store ammo outside in all climate conditions.
    I like the plastic commercial ones.
    Plastic won't rust.

6. OnTarget

OnTarget New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    Depending on where you live, you may want to control moisture/humidity.
    Silica gel or something similar in each can or in the storage room.
    It's cheap and effective.

PCH likes this.
  7. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    My bulk purchased ammo in cans stay sealed in the cans until I need to charge mags. Charged mags go into sealed plastic mag box for quick access.

8. operator6

operator6 New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I keep mine in metal ammo cans. Most plastic cans will not hold the weight if stacked full and they are not as durable as the metal cans.

I live in a very humid climate near saltwater and have left ammo in the factory box on a shelf in my garage. It had some case corrosion but every round went bang.

GS AutoTech likes this.
  9. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    I bought a plastic box made for this purpose. It has a gasket seal ( water tight ) foam inserts made for mags. strong construction with handle, lockable & stackible. :)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HVDFSQ0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

10. operator6

operator6 New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Yes, the plastic cans I had were designed for ammo. When packed full it wouldn't hold the weight.

Stacking them with loaded mags would probably work because you can't put as much ammo in the cans in magazines as you can loose.

I couldn't see a plastic ammo can filled with ammo being thrown around and still stay together. No thanks.