Animals that Provide Food

Discussion in 'Animal Husbandry' started by TheSurvivalEnthusiast, Apr 28, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. TheSurvivalEnthusiast

TheSurvivalEnthusiast Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    During any kind of survival situation until you are set and know what you are able to and not to do it is a great idea to limit any kind of pets. You will want to try to have animals that will provide food. This is the basic concept of how farms were started. Back in the day, there weren't grocery stores, convenience stores, or food pantries to go to that you could just purchase food to take home. You had to hunt and gather as well as farm land to provide food for you and your family.

oZuCYa08C8UKmasxO9idQclgkWP3hLc4.jpeg
    Taking into consideration what kind of animals can provide food will help you to build an effective farm that will provide you with food for years to come. Obvious animals such as chickens and ducks are some of the easiest to care for. They also produce eggs which are extremely high in protein and other essential vitamins and minerals. When these animals breed you can breed a flock of them to be eaten and a flock of them to supply eggs. Because you will have nine times out of ten, be eating these animals one day it is probably the best idea not to name them unless that kind of thing doesn't bother you.
    [​IMG]

Animals such as horses, donkeys, and dogs are all animals that you may not want to start chowing down on right away because they will also help you to gather food and even water. Dogs may not so much help you gather water they will help you drink it for sure, but horses and donkeys can carry satchels of water from rivers, lakes, and streams that may be a good distance away. If you have these kinds of animals, though, you will want to make sure you have a good water source. When it comes time for hunting you will find the horse and dog will make a great pair in assisting your efforts in collecting game for you and or your family to survive on but they also require precious resources as well.

acheno84 and Keith H. like this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good post & good advice.
    Keith.

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    during WW2 a lot of British people kept rabbits and chickens in their back yards, as well as growing their own food.
    sadly this sort of thing has dropped out of favour in the 21st century, not many people in the UK even knows where there food comes from, or even which animal in some cases.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes, my parents always kept chooks & we grew all our own vegies & fruit. We were lucky enough to own a large 18th century house in West Sussex with a large garden. I wish I still owned it, but had to sell it when my parents died. It was either that or buy out my sister's share, which I could not afford at the time.
    Keith.

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    we have a fairly small garden, its probably the largest around here but its still small.
    we grow fruit and veg in raised beds. most gardens in the UK these days are kids playgrounds (cant let kids play on the street there might be "perverts" hiding round the corner, dontcha know??) with the ubiquitous trampoline!!

Keith H. likes this.
  6. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    When I was young, we would have our summer vacation in the province where the house is a rural house made of wood. The yard has a variety of animals from chickens to ducks and some others that are edible and normally provides a source of food. That's the lifestyle in the province. There is a saying that they are rich if they have lots of chickens or having several cows or goats is a status symbol. That was also my dream before, to have a house with a big yard so we can raise our own animals for food. Wouldn't it be nice to have a cow or goats that would supply our morning milk requirements? And our meat is fresh and fish too with that fish pond in the backyard.

But that dream did not materialize at all since we cannot afford to buy a big lot, so expensive now. Even in the suburbs, the cost of land is outrageously high. Maybe in the remote provinces where there are no good roads and no electricity, land is still cheap.

Keith H. likes this.
  7. Ascuasardiente

Ascuasardiente New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    When it comes to animal proteins, egg whites are the leanest. One egg white contains about 17 calories, zero fat and 3.6 grams of protein. The white, also called the albumen, contains about half of the egg’s total protein and a majority of the egg’s potassium, magnesium and riboflavin. While egg whites are the leanest protein source of the egg, research has debunked the myth that the yolk raises cholesterol levels, lowering overall concern of eating the entire egg. Also, the yolk is where the majority of the vitamins and minerals are found

Keith H. likes this.
  8. Ascuasardiente

Ascuasardiente New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    another excellent food, is Farmed rainbow trout is a heart-healthy fish That the Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch program is a better choice says than wild lake trout is farmed Because It in an ecologically responsible way. Three ounces of cooked farmed rainbow trout has just 128 calories, 1.3 grams of saturated fat, 1.5 grams of polyunsaturated fat (Which includes omega-3 fatty acids) and 20 grams of protein. Omega-3s help keep the lining of your arteries smooth and clear of damage can lead to thickening That and hardening, and the rate decrease They Also at Which triglycerides are produced in your liver, According to the Cleveland Clinic.

Keith H. likes this.
  9. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good info, thank you [​IMG]
    Keith.

10. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    Cows provide milk and beef. But goats would be an imortant animal to have around, as well. They provide milk, as well delicious meat. And they are small and easier to care for than cows. They are resiliant and also will help you clear brush, which might come in handy. Their milk is supposed to be delicious, though I have not tried it.

11. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    Sheep.

They're probably the only animals that can survive in virtually any climate. And I've heard that it's possible to obtain milk from ewes. It wouldn't be much obviously but if you have a huge flock of sheep then you'll probably get a lot of milk from them.

12. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    This is a great post and a great reminder. I think its great to have chickens and ducks if you have the space. My wife and I just discussed that we are going to start building a chicken coop out of pallets that she has at work that way we can have eggs, and chicken if ever needed. I don't think I would start to eat a horse or a dog for the same reasons that you stated. Horses can be used for transportation, and dogs are good hunters (excluding my dog, Charlie lol)

13. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    Chicken are one of the most sensible animals to rear for food. Eggs provide virtually every nutrient save for Vitamin C which is easily acquired from green leafy vegetables. On the other hand, they are easy to rear especially the more traditional type which can be kept on free range. The other animal I would keep for food is the tilapia because its a prolific breeder, so much so that farmers have to look for a method to reduce their teeming numbers for optimum growth.