Any Coffee Drinkers?

Discussion in 'Gardening, Plant Propegation, & Farming' started by hollowgirl, Jan 5, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. hollowgirl

hollowgirl Administrator Gold Supporter
      85/99

Blog Posts:
    I saw this topic touched on in another post and then get lost, but I want to find a solution. I love a freshly brewed pot of coffee. The rich aroma just warms my soul. Coffee beans thrive in tropical conditions, but I won’t be seeing any tropical days in hills of Tennessee. Any tips on growing tropical plants outside of the tropics? Or any suggestions on teas I could grow that are similar to coffee? I have never tried a tea that I like; they are always so bitter to me. I mean I could go without coffee if I need to, but if I can grow my own now and save money, why not? My end goal is to be self-sustaining so I need to find a solution to coffee or kick the habit now I guess. :D

sunnytn, Mekada and Keith H. like this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I drink instant coffee, if I cant get it post apocalypse i'll have more important things to worry about than coffee.

jeager and hollowgirl like this.
  3. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Coffee beans stored right have a very long shelf life

jeager and hollowgirl like this.
  4. hollowgirl

85/99

Blog Posts:
    I don't really like the idea of just stockpiling goods. I would like to be self-sustaining until I am forced to leave my home. If/when I am forced from my home I will be forced to leave what I cannot carry of my stockpile behind.

5. Mekada

Mekada Master Survivalist
      270/345

Blog Posts:
    I am not sure what the climate is in Tennessee but why not try a small greenhouse. If you need it moist... Simulate it... If. You need it warm put plexiglass on top... You truly have endless possibilities!

hollowgirl likes this.
  6. hollowgirl

85/99

Blog Posts:
    Do you have any experience with greenhouses? I don't have much. How is the upkeep on them?

7. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:
    Not greenhouses as such but some components... Definitely. If you build it from plexiglass it is uv resistant and can stand up to the outside pretty well. We built aircraft canopies from them and they had to pass stringent all weather tests. I believe if you maybe do the side from wood and then treat it properly it should last you a lifetime. I've seen treatments that include both all weather resistance and termite repellent. Additionally if you build it yourself you could save a fortune and you would be more proficient in construction. There are apps available from Google Playstore which can help you draft your perfect design. Hope this helps.

8. hollowgirl

85/99

Blog Posts:
    This is great information! Thanks! I have some experience building so I could probably handle it. Maybe I will take a stab at it sometime.

9. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:
    If you get stuck, there are some great videos on YouTube. Some guy even built one using old pallets.

hollowgirl likes this.
  10. hollowgirl

85/99

Blog Posts:
    They have everything on there, don't they?! :)

11. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:
    They sure do!

hollowgirl likes this.
  12. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Look up Yaupon Holly. This is supposed to be a really good natural coffee substitute. It is native in the south but might grow where you are too. Here's a description of a Texas site about its uses and caffeine content. It even tells you how to dry it.

http://www.foragingtexas.com/search/label/Caffeine

13. NomadWill

NomadWill Expert Member
      240/345

Blog Posts:
    A fresh bag of coffee beans has a labeled shelf life for 1 year. They usually last longer though, If stored properly. I would probably go for an air tight container.

14. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    http://www.coffeeresearch.org/coffee/homegrowing.htm

Most people would have googled it then ask questions.
    Like, "has anyone here grown coffee".
    I buy Gavalia coffee at the grocery already ground but beans are available.
    I've bought beans and have a small electric coffee grinder and love fresh ground coffee.
    But as has been pointed out I will have far, far, more important things to be concerned about in a
    post shtf situation.
    Perhaps that's we are here learning about preparing for such events.

Stocking up on coffee is one small part of my prepping plans.
    Well behind staying alive.
    Still it's a good question as it got responses.
    There are NO dumb questions.
    Growing coffee in N.E. Ohio isn't practical.
    There is a natural wild available substitute for coffee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicory

I've done that.
    Chicory isn't bad if eaten but in my opinion it ain't as good as coffee but it will work.

What ever am I going to do without my Pepsi?????????????????????????????????:confused:

15. woodchipper518

woodchipper518 Expert Member
      128/173

Blog Posts:
    I gave up alcohol, drugs, cigarettes and made a choice to stick with one awesome woman......so coffee might hurt but I'll survive. I will taper off my addiction with my stored coffee (rotated) and instant coffee. I was actually thinking instant coffee might be a good barter item to stock up on. I have no idea if you can grow coffee in Texas where we can grow just about everything else except cranberries. If hot and humid are required, I guess Houston and south would be the place.

16. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
  17. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    We do enjoy coffee. However, there is basically no way to grow it in our location. Instead, we just stockpile sealed canisters of the stuff. It is relatively inexpensive and lasts a long time. Ditto with black tea; can't grow it here, but can stockpile vacuum sealed tea.

18. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:

Me too.

19. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Did you say "coffee"? Here I am! :D

I've been completely addicted to coffee since Always. :cool: It's one of my favorite drinks in the whole world (I know the world is too big, but overcoming coffee is something that requires a lot of work :p). I like to drink coffee anyway, except for pure coffee (which I only take in the latter case, when there is no any alternative available).

20. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Anyone not a coffee drinker is a weird person or from England.
    Same difference.
    ( it's a JOKE! don't get'cher shorts all twisted )
    Everyone knows that England is the place to be.
    Unarmed and unafraid.

21. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I think trying to grow coffee even if you have a greenhouse, would be quite difficult. You would have to really study how to do it. I think stockpiling coffee or beans would make much more sense in the long run. I mean it lasts a very long time, and you could conceivably save enough to last for years.

22. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    LOL! Well, for a good chunk of my adult life, I drank only black tea for caffeine delivery. I'm not from England, but have been accused of being weird on more than one occasion. :p

jeager likes this.
  23. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    I love black tea.
    English Breakfast.

Earl Grey is another favorite.

24. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    While I will drink either tea or coffee I'm never desperate for either. I can however imagine the satisfaction of growing, picking, drying, roasting and brewing your own coffee beans.
    I wish you good luck with your project.