AR-15 SBR Upper Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Gun building, Maintenance, and Care.' started by CivilDefense, Jul 7, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    Hey pallies. So, our primaries have tended towards the traditional (e.g., Mini-14), but I am adding an AR-15 in 5.56mm NATO to the mix. In fact, it is at my FFL now, I just need to pick it up. Anywho, once I do, I will be submitting the NFA Form 1 paperwork to legally convert it to a short-barrel rifle.

The question is, which shorty upper should I go with? There are quite a few on the market these days. The DPMS 7" Barrel Kitty Kat and PSA 8½" barrel both look interesting, but there are others. Some are a bit longer and I could see going with something like a 10½" barrel.

Any recommendations from those that complete such a project? Thanks for sharing!

2. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    This is a personal opinion but I prefer a 20" barrel in the 5.56.
    When I was in one of many firearms training seminars a fellow had a select fire 5.56 with
    10 or 12" barrel and couldn't hit squat with it.
    We did quite a bit of night firing and that stinkin' thing blinded everyone on the firing line.
    I have a picture laying around someplace that I took at night using just his muzzle flash.
    I'm fine with my 20" barreled AR.
    To each his own.

3. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    CivilDefense: I like the Sagan quote.
    I'm a Sagan follower.
    Sagan was a mentor to Neil Degrasse Tyson.
    I'm a Tyson fan also.
    This ^^^ has nothing to do with survival.

Or does it?

4. CivilDefense

235/345

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the comments. I am still waiting for a federal friends to approve my Form 1. Over ten months and still pending! Anyway, I have decided on a 10½" barrel upper from Model 1 Sales, but won't purchase said parts until the F1 is approved.

Concerning the efficacy of short barrel carbines, I've never had an issue with them in the AR pattern or really other. And they are very commonly employed these days. This particular carbine will wear a suppressor too, so flash and noise is of minimal concern. I've already ordered the can and the Form 4 has been submitted, but, alas, it too is awaiting approval.

And, indeed, Jeager, thinking scientifically is, imho, a necessary survival skill. Far too often this subculture is marked by pseudoscience, magical thinking, conspiracy flapdoodle, and other silliness. But, I digress. ;)

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  5. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    A suppressor makes total sense on your carbine.
    It's a great way to go.
    It takes our Federal gun cops at least a year to o.k. a suppressor purchase.
    Shame ain't it?

6. CivilDefense

235/345

Blog Posts:
    Indeed, the wait times sure are aggravating on NFA forms. They used to be floating around the 3-5 month range. Now it is closer to a year. Word is, though, due to the implementation of the 41F ruling, there was a glut of filings, followed by very few. So, maybe we'll see approval times get faster after the mid-July 2016 filings are done. I'm not holding my breath though. ;)

7. CivilDefense

235/345

Blog Posts:
    Woohoo! Tax stamp finally, after 11 months, approved! I'm going with a shorty 5.56x45mm upper to start with. I'll post pictures after the build is complete.

I'm seriously considering a second upper (and related parts) in 9mm. It would be shorter, handier, and I already have a suppressor that would work for that. But that is a secondary project.

8. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    A 9 mm upper makes a lot of sense.
    Cheaper bulk ammo and good practice.
    Not a terrible defense round either.

Any recommendations on a 9mm upper with sights?

9. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    I like the AR platform. It is versatile & adaptable. The first question is usually asked when building, what is the intended use of the weapon? Long range, close quarters, intermediate defense, hunting, all around utility? The AR gives the flexibility to build for many possible scenarios.

10. CivilDefense

235/345

Blog Posts:
    Very true, GS AutoTech. The AR pattern platform has come a long way. One can buy, or build, one to just do about anything. This particular one was for short range defensive purposes, but as noted, one can mix and match uppers and other parts to fill other rolls.

GS AutoTech likes this.
  11. GS AutoTech

232/345

Blog Posts:
    I started with straight S&W M4 carbine style AR. Just to get my feet wet. I found with my optics at range the carbine was lacking. So I got 18" SS 1:7 free float upper. Cant wait to zero it soon. Very versatile platform.

12. CivilDefense

235/345

Blog Posts:
    Very nice. Out of curiosity, whattype of optics were/are you running? Thanks.

13. GS AutoTech

232/345

Blog Posts:
    Nikon Prostaff 5 w/ BDC Reticle. Works very nice. But should have got MilDot.