Are Underground Shelters Safer?

Discussion in 'Natural, Temporary, and Permanent Shelter' started by John Snort, Jun 16, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    There are places where people have to build storm cellars so they can have a safe place to be when a tornado ravages their area.

I'm thinking that underground shelters could also be very safe when shtf because unless someone knows you have an underground shelter it can be real hard for anyone to find you.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    hiding it will be a problem what with air vents and chimneys, and you would have to come out sometime to farm, hunt and fish.
    I don't like the idea of being underground with no way of seeing whats going on "upstairs", build it into a bank so part is underground and part is above ground maybe, but I think i'd get claustrophobic if I was completely underground.

3. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I think if you're looking purely for safety, and no other aspect, yes. I would classify underground shelters as some of the safest. There's really no risk at all with them. Natural disasters can't get to you, and there's only one entry way, so no intruders will get to you. The only downside is that it can be easy to run low on resources. Drinkable water, food, and the like don't really tend to come by underground. Plus you don't really get a lot of sunlight, or interaction with any other people/wilderness while down there. It obviously has it's uses, and it's one of the only shelters that could be used a nuclear bunker, but it has a lot of drawbacks too.

4. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I agree about the nuclear option but other than that I think there are too many downsides, not that we see many bunkers in the UK, one or two army bunkers have been purchased for this purpose but the sales of these are far too public.

5. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I forgot what it's called but that shelter in the basement against cyclones is one of the best that I have seen on tv. We don't have those because our problem with nature is typhoons and flooding. We don't have cyclones or tornadoes here. I have read that in the 1960s, the bomb shelter was in fashion for the rich. It comes complete with facilities so the survivors of the atomic bomb can live for long. The design was so good that they are even challenging the doubters to test that shelter. During that time, there was the notion that US can be at war with USSR.

I think the underground shelter is one of the safest especially if it is 5 feet below ground level. The thick soil and rocks above can protect it from radiation and probably also from explosion. But the problem with underground shelter is the lack of air when something goes wrong with the ventilation.

6. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    I've written about this before in this forum. It's called Atlas bunkers. They are circular bunkers buried several feet underground and have everything you need to live for a very long time underground. It has entrances, and one being a secret and hidden exit. It even comes with it's own power source and radio active air cleaner in case of nuclear fall out.

ucuMT8lIu_VGdFjQuos53SWoLyFXbkUM.jpeg

7. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    If made right a underground shelter is fine the vc and nva had underground systems that worked well for tthem

8. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Underground bunkers!
    Good in theory not in reality!
    The amount of money needed to do it properly is just off the scale!

Three things
    Condensation
    Seepage
    Mould

All three need serious funding to keep at bay
    and they must be kept at bay right from the start with no letup at all!

Condensation will rust/ruin most everything
    Seepage will do the same and drown you.
    Mould will make everything you touch or breathe toxic!
    Similar to living in a sewer.

9. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    In World War II you also had the underground bunkers.
    I am sure they can be good if you have no other possibility but I would not want to stay there for a longer time.
    Mold is something you would definitely need to take seriously. It can make you sick so fast....

10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the WW2 bunkers were something else, the Anderson shelters would not withstand a direct hit and were little more than a tin shed with some dirt thrown over.
    the public shelters were mostly underground railway stations or similar, and there were severe health hazards with that many people together .
    I don't think modern shelters are anywhere as bad as this, but apart from all out nuclear war I don't see the point of being underground, how do you keep watch on what is going on in the area and in the distance if your permanently underground?

11. Amhart6970

Amhart6970 New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    The worst thing about underground shelters is that they are cramped and it's tough to hide the sanitation smell I've a longer duration in tim. Cav s located near to home is b st option. One of the best secrets of St Louis is that the whole city sits on top is a natural cave network.

12. Easyrider

Easyrider New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    do restrain yourself from this type of affirmations.are you an engineer?ever been in a bunker?ever got interested in design?a proper desgned underground room has forced ventilation, manually or electrically.2 small computer fans move enough air from a 6 meter long container, in 5 minutes an hour for 2 persons.the electricity could be generated by a very small portable solar panel, by human powerd bicycle, or by a small biolite stove that also produces electricity.if you live in a high table underground water are, any 30.000 liter undeground gas or water container which by construction is waterproof will work, as long as is very well put in place with cable not to allow him to pop up when the undergound table water rises

13. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Just don't put a bunker under a building; if the upper structure burns, then you bake like a potato in your "shelter". Or even near a largish structure -- some buildings burn then collapse by infolding; other building shift to the side as they collapse, which is to say that your shelter could become your coffin, no exit.

14. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Bunkers are usually intended for short term use.. Just to get you through the actual event or avoid the worst of the radiation. Even if you have the space for stores to get you through hiding long term the build up of body waste would be sickening.
    If you liken a bunker to a panic room rather then long term accommodation you have a better idea of what I mean.