Are You A Member Of Prepper Groups

Discussion in 'Newbie Corner' started by Danny Luke, Jul 4, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Danny Luke

Danny Luke New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I currently live in Southeast Asia and there's not much of a prepper community here. It seems to me that prepper groups and communities are most active in the United States and Europe.

TENNGRIZZ and Keith H. like this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    A prepper by definition is low key not attracting attention, we don't jump up and down shouting "yoo hoo!!look at me, i'm a prepper".
    there are places where preppers meet, like "The Wilderness Gathering" in Wiltshire UK, and other outdoor type events, but groups are pretty non existent. most UK prepper "groups" are family units, and family only.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    TENNGRIZZ and Keith H. like this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I agree with lonewolf, much the same here. More forums where people can make contact than actual advertised groups. Don't forget Australia Danny.
    Keith.

howler and TENNGRIZZ like this.
  4. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I live in Europe, in Serbia but we do not have these. I prep myself actually by learning stuff that I think I will possibly need in future. I go to woods and try them out. Just basic stuff that I always found interesting and useful. Setting a fire is without a match or a lighter is not that hard actually if you set your mind to it. I just go on a near hill in the forest and I stroll around, learning about nature. Looking for some food, trying to find mushrooms and later identify them. people are not very into this and it is hard to find good company.

barok129, TENNGRIZZ and Ystranc like this.
  5. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    No I don't. I am not even sure how to find one.

TENNGRIZZ likes this.
  6. NomadWill

NomadWill Expert Member
      240/345

Blog Posts:
    I'm pretty secretive about the fact that I'm a Prepper, Part of me doesn't want people to know because they'll be like "Oh hes one of those crazy conspiracy Theorists" but the other part of me doesn't care. Also I don't want people to target me whenever the SHTF for my resources.

Honestly though, I wouldn't mind grouping up with a very few other Preppers, share resources maybe, or just create a network to share news from across the country(countries).

The Innkeeper and TENNGRIZZ like this.
  7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have belonged to a couple of prepper groups but the problem is they tend to fall apart long before they are need for real, people move on, change jobs, move house and lose contact.

8. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    To me groups can be a bad thing as you can't control what others might do. Do you know that someone hasn't "invited" their crazy brother-in-law or deadbeat parents r sibling to come to their place if things get bad? Do you know what kind of unwanted things or illegal activities someone might be up to that could draw attention to yourself or your group?

To me you roll the clock back like things used to be 30 or 50 years ago and get to know your neighbors. Get out and talk with them, lend a hand, get together on occasion, be a community, build that sense of belonging to where they know if they need something or vice versa you're there for each other, when you're away you know they have an eye on your place and same for them. Share extra things from the garden and get a sense for who lives next to you and what they're into. Might find some great new friends and be able to share and even spread interests, and you might also find out who those are that hide in their house with the blinds drawn or totally ignore any attempts to connect. Better to find out who you're dealing with now than later.

Same goes for if you have a camp or a BOL. Try to get to know those that are around you, get to know shop keepers in the town "nearby" that you go to pick up things be that the grocery, hardware, lumber yard, farmers market etc... If you make the effort to know them and for them to know you (especially of a first name basis) if things go south they'll be a resource that you can call on and since they already know you they may be more willing to do business or help you out. Be willing to do the same for them.

9. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    presently 10 in my group , my kids and grandkids comprise of the group . Presently 3 houses within quarter mile area . Other houses to be built . I suspect plenty of locals would jump at the chance to join , but I don't want them , not because they are not good people , but because I would lose control of what we stockpile and overall survival plan . just like grizzleyetteadams said on another thread there are a lot of preppers in this area. This seems to be a magnet area for preppers to move to . No doubt in a apocalypse , the survival rate here would be one of the highest in the United States .

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  10. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I'm not part of a formal prepper group but I'm on good terms with most of my neighbours and we tend to be pretty self sufficient around here.

11. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    No. I am not part of any group. I do suspect that if SHTF I will have two additional family members show up. One would be a help. The other would be a boat anchor. Doesn't matter. I will be stuck with them. I have included them in my preps and plans, so IF they bring anything to the party it will be a plus. We will not be short changed.

12. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I actually know a few local preppers but most people are either just sheeple waiting for slaughter or pretty quiet about their preparations. All that said though compared to most places prepper type of thought is pretty common here. Rural people in South East Texas tend towards having more guns and bigger larders than most people. Since power outages are not uncommon most people are at least basically prepared for that with alternative lighting and cooking stuff.

Also when you live close enough to the coast to be affected by hurricanes you tend to at least plan ahead a little bit and prepare when a storm is in the Gulf of Mexico. I'm about one hundred miles inland but nonetheless, Rita took out the power for weeks and Harvey dumped 3 feet of rain on us and caused huge and long-lasting flooding. Houston got five feet of rain so our water couldn't drain downstream. It was a huge mess.

To some extent, the growing number of people that have concealed carry licenses shows that more people are beginning to feel the need to be prepared to at least defend themselves. Even without the license you can legally have a handgun in your car or truck and use it to defend yourself. Your vehicles, home, and place of business or employment are considered as places that you have the legal right to defend with lethal force from thieves and people that would do physical harm to you. this right even extends to you defending your neighbors and their homes.

Prepper groups as in social groups just don't exist here. At one time in the 70s, there were a lot of "militias" I was a member of one for several years. That has mostly either disappeared or gone dark and underground because the Federal government treated them like criminals.

Personally, to me, a prepper group needs to be closer than the militias were. I have a circle of friends that will gather if things ever crash. They are brothers and sisters from other mothers to me and we will be more as a family than just a group. I also know of a couple of serious preppers near me that I will connect to and offer mutual support and defense. Most of my neighbors have livestock and should make good neighbors in hard times with about one exception.

The proliferation of guns here will make things like gangs less of a factor. If you live by the sword you will die by the sword and in Texas, it will happen in a hurry.

13. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    No Prepper group, No MAG, no community but will have a family group. Family is a known, everybody else is an unknown. During a SHTF event, I will not venture into unknowns, anymore that I have too.

The Innkeeper and Morgan101 like this.
  14. Oldguy

Oldguy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    I have a small group but I know lots a preppers/survivalists all up and down the east coast of Australia
    As I would rock up with known skills and assets I would be welcome at most, not that I plan to do that.

I expect some I know to find me to group together at the time, I have plans for that also

15. pacmantacman

pacmantacman Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
  16. The GMAN

The GMAN Expert Member
      100/115

Blog Posts:
    I am not part of a group but out here in the country, everyone knows everyone in the immediate area (about 3 square miles). There are 5 families in this area. We are pretty self sufficient now and I will have two others join my homestead if the SHTF. Both are contributors.

The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.
  17. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    A lot of merit to this approach. It’s my basic group philosophy

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. LastOutlaw

LastOutlaw Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    About 9 years ago I ran across a web site that was designed for people to network together and start prepper groups. The idea was that if every county or a few counties across an entire state created groups of preppers and became prepared and organized into MAGs (mutual assistance groups) then if shtf these groups across the state would already be organized and could assist each other or even begin trading among each other. It seemed to be on the grow and at some point the web site owner stepped away from it and gave it away. I think he may have been approached by federal agents after some discussions on the web site got a bit radical or he simply decided that the site was not going where he originally intended and simply quit.

The site is still up and running but it has changed hands numerous times. Each time it changed ownership members were either run off due to heavy handed management or the direction of the web site changed thereby running members off due to it no longer fitting their own idea of what it should be.

There were hundreds of mags in the site and as we all know mags form and mags fail for lots of different reasons. I belonged to a MAG once that had a BOL and it wasn't too long before OPSEC was destroyed by members joining then quitting or being kicked out.

A lot of so called preppers like to play with firearms and talk the talk but when it comes to doing the work or investing hard earned money into food storage or equipment or medical supplies aren't really serious. Some members put food away for their pets but not for themselves. Some would never show up to work on flood plots or build structures but always showed up on range day. LOL.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  19. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    There are always the talkers and the doers. The old 80/20 rule applies to MAGs as well as everything else I have ever been involved in I am sure.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've heard of M.A.G. but haven't heard anything about them in the UK for many years.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Lone Wolf and all,

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/preparing-for-emergencies/preparing-for-emergencies

Note link's "3." Local Resilence Forums. "5." mentions volunteers. "6" has an edress for additional email.

The UK is definitely a little different than the startup colonies of USA. British Virgin Islands has prep groups and so too Hong Kong even after Handover.

SEA; Southeast Asia has a different political flavor than the USA and Canada. More government oversight/control is required. Singapore has a Civil Defense Corps with private citizen volunteer opportunities. It's about the same in Hong Kong. China has a large territorial section in SEA. China, too, has citizen orgs.

As an aside; believe FEMA Washington, D.C. has a couple of senior officials permanently stationed in London.

Much of the US program is "experimental" from the Washington, D.C. perspective. Only recently in rural Virginia, a volunteer fire and rescue squad was disestablished with funds transferred to the small county fire and rescue squad. Better efficency and accountability - especially with the funds - was showing up in the public sector squad. Much of the US still in decay from neglect and political mismanagement over the years until recently.

Without a NGO - Nongovernmental Organization - that's skilled and experienced - with integrity - then no grants (ie el $$$ and equipment) existence is "Gone With The Wind".

TMT Tactical likes this.