Avoid Hunting/Fishing

Discussion in 'Hunting / Fishing / Trapping' started by Arkane, Apr 19, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    If ever you need to hunt or fish to survive DON'T!
    as you probably won't live to regret it!

Just think the world has gone to hell, everyone is starving, everyone is desperate!
    Do you really think it will be safe to go to a KNOWN FOOD LOCATION and just fish?
    It will be very unlikely you will be alone!
    If you catch nothing you have wasted your time and effort and if you do get something what are your chances of getting you and your catch home?
    If you catch nothing and another person gets lucky and gets something, you will seriously consider mugging them for there catch same as everyone else!

JimLE likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    wait until after the "hunker down" period, post "die off" there will be less people around and it will be safer to go outdoors.

3. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Yes might need to give hunting/fishing a miss for a few years!
    Suddenly there will be a lot of hunting pressure where any game/fish not caught will be very skittish and very few left!
    A year for the die off and maybe a year or two to breed and hunting/fishing should become feasible again and fairly safe!
    and a few years after that bountiful!

lonewolf likes this.
  4. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    relying on just hunting and fishing to survive is really "putting all your eggs in one basket".

5. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    A lot I have talked to are planning to get 50% or more food from hunting/fishing in the first year.

6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    50% sounds quite high given that part of the time it will be winter and or bad weather.

7. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Hunting fishing food gathering going to be a must after the shtf fresh restock of food going to be a must gardens and farming can only produce in growing season canning and stocking new fresh supplies are a must if you dont restock you will be hungry

8. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Air rifle bow crossbow all quiet ways of hunting for game a simple trout line rig can keep you in fish restock of food is a must

9. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Going out to restock food is a risk no one but the unprepared need to take! until the die off is mostly done!
    Food is cheap and safe now! take advantage of that! during or after whatever it is restocking may cost your life
    If you can't stock a years worth beforehand maybe sell some Gucci kit or guns so you can stock a years worth of food!

Not having to go out and scavange eliminates a major risk to your life!
    Every risk you don't need to take is one you can't loose!

JimLE and lonewolf like this.
  10. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    As you die just remember i will be here doing what i do and liveing just fine we are well prepared for whatever comes along good luck to you

11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I agree with all the above.

12. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Your stock piles of food are fine if they there are the in good shape are you able to get to them alot of things can go wrong survival food is away to go i myself grow my food my meat ect i know what i have i know what it is i can and will hunt and grow fish lead a life im use too as the rest try to survive life here will be about the same except that outsiders comeing in will not be told to leave they will be dropped and rolled into a hole i might seem cold and heartless but thats what its going to take im not sorry for this you all should be doing the same for you and yours you will find alot of people that will be the same as me. We have worked to had for this life its ours and we will stand and hold it

13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    my stockpile is rotated so it is always refreshed and we only store what we eat, in a SHTF situation this will be used to SUPPLEMENT any fresh food we can get, either by growing it ourselves or by foraging etc.

14. judyd1

judyd1 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Okay, you guys are just making me depressed. You are welcome to come share my vegetable soup at my campsite anytime. But if a catastrophe to civilization is all it takes to bring out the animal behavior, I don't know that I'd want to live there.

I prefer to keep a more optimistic view of the future. Maybe I've watched too much Star Trek. Call me naive.

15. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    When the time comes you will do what you have to do keep you and yours safe i think you will adjust and overcome the shock and fear its in all of us

16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    many people these days feel like that.
    the only ones that will survive will be the ones that can ADAPT to the new "normal".

17. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    I feel here where are most peiple will head south to warmer weather. We are well hidden here and with little effort the road in will be hidden if we stay low and quiet after a awhule life will be pretty normal for us we have made the effort to be this way

Ronnie Sanders likes this.
  18. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    most people here in the UK say they will head for Europe or Canada.
    me? i'm staying put, i'm already in a remote rural area of the UK.

19. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    People need to relize its getting kind of late

20. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yep, it sure is.

21. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    For some reason, I visualized one of those night vision scenes from Wildlife Kingdom or whatever that show was called... you know, where they're on the African Serengeti and you're forced to watch a weary zebra stroll on over to the riverside only to have it's head snapped off by a crocodile. Or when a pack of hyenas swoops in and ambushes the zebra from behind.

I think people could get like that. Arkane makes a valid point. A well known hunting/fishing location will only attract trouble. People will indeed get desperate, and in a situation where survivalists are separated from those dependent on first world comforts, things can get pretty ugly. Fortunately, I don't think a truly prepared survivalist would become the zebra or the pack of hyenas.

22. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    many people will get desperate post event, especially if they've got children to feed.
    the trick is to stay out of their way and avoid them if at all possible.
    remember a human being can only go without food for around 30 days, 3 days without water, when even half that time is past they will be too weak to go anywhere or fight anyone.

Sonofliberty likes this.
  23. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Pardon me but I have to rebut this thread. The setting is like a doomsday scenario that survival means it is you or them. For civilized people like us, I agree that it can happen when the crisis is between life and death. However, it was already proven in the Philippines when the province of Leyte was hit by a tidal wave in 2013. Majority of the people have no food and as I had posted in another thread, our former housemaid's family subsisted on raw vegetation for survival. One of my housemaid's brother joined the group that looted the Robinsons mall. There were no cops because even the authorities were hit hard, in fact, even the mayor's home was submerged by the tidal wave.

On a brighter note, there was no mugging or killing and the only crimes were stealing and robbery with holdup. Those stores that were closed were forced open by looters and if the owner resisted, violence is the only answer. But only because the owner had resisted. In cases where the store owner had cooperated, the looters left him something to eat. I hope all those reports were true. At least those survivors still showed their human part in times of severe crisis.

24. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    suit yourself, people have probably been lucky so far, and probably because the difficulty was somewhat short lived, maybe people are still obeying the rules up to a point, everyone seems to expect things to get back to "normal" at some point, I don't.

25. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Based on this sort of thought then the ONLY way to survive is to huddle in a bomb shelter forever and eat stored food until you run out and die. If you can't hunt or fish what makes you think that you will be able to farm or even garden without scavengers finding you and taking it away from you? What about livestock. If you raise cattle, hogs, goats or chickens are they going to come get you then too. Even now when I am fishing I am always armed. I stay aware of who is near me and what they are up to. I live in a VERY rural area and let me tell you that if you mess with a man's critters he may well end up feeding your carcass to them.

You will need to be careful but if you don't try you will be better off just killing yourself. You HAVE to eat. Even trying to store up enough provisions has its risks. Depending on what exactly happens the government may well declare your hoarding a crime! Now in the short term the woods are going to be full of idiots shooting anything that moves including each other. Even then though I will be able to do some fish and critter harvesting. For one thing hunting as most people think of it is a sport. If I'm feeding my family I am not worrying about being sporting. You know all those laws out there about what you can and can't do when you are hunting and fishing. Well I know why they have those laws and will be breaking all of them.

26. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    in Britain we wont be storing enough food and gear to last the rest of our lives, at some point we will run out-of everything, then we will have to survive on skills and knowledge.
    on the subject of scavengers, Britain is a small island with a fairly small population-well compared to the US it is, most people in this country will just sit and wait to be rescued, by the time they realise no help is coming its too late for them. some of the inner city scum will be rioting but they still wont go far. without power and fuel how far can they go? and where do they think they are going?

27. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Britain has a very different situation than where I live. Here guns are as common as water. While that means a lot of scavengers will be armed it also means that nearly everyone else is too and unlike most of them we are well practiced with them. While we do have more people in the US we also have a lot more space. Texas where I live is over twice as large as Britain with a population of 28 million where Britain has 65 million. When people get hungry they are going to come pouring out of those big urban areas. I actually don't know much about what the hunting there is like but no doubt it will be a lot tougher than here. Looking at maps I don't see the almost endless woodlands that we have here in East Texas. We have an epidemic of wild hogs here on top of having more cattle than people in a lot of areas.

My earlier comments were mostly made in reference to the conditions that I deal with and would not be at all applicable in a place like Britain. Honestly I'm not sure what I would do in that environment. I am mostly ignorant about the hunting and fishing opportunities available there. No matter what though Lone Wolf, I am SURE that the people there will persevere and survive. As a people they are tough and hard headed. They will shake off the riffraff and what comes out the other side will just be that much tougher. Brits can only be killed but never defeated!

LOL, can you tell that I am quite proud of my heritage from there? One side of my family is made up of very tall and broad red heads out of Scotland. The other side is black German so I got the hard head and NEVER quit attitude from both sides. I'm 5th generation Texan but still we remember our roots.

28. SSG Nasty

SSG Nasty Well-Known Member
      75/115

Blog Posts:
    As has been mentioned, hunting and fishing will be on the rise in the beginning. Your location will determine whether hunting and fishing will be beneficial. The city dweller, for the most part, will not wandering around lakes, rivers, streams and forests since many live to far from them.

29. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I live in a rural area, in the woods with lakes. rivers, ponds and creaks near by all around me. I'm going to harvest what is available. One thing that even an urban dweller can do is hunt birds, frogs, rats and lizards with a BB gun. Remember that old song about 4 and 20 blackbirds baked into a pie? You can also trap rats. They are actually pretty decent table fare once you get past the idea. I've always eaten little cat squirrels and all they are is tree rats. Survival is about adapting and taking what nature offers up to you. Basically in most any unsaturated environment if you starve to death it is basically ignorance or refusal to eat what is available. A saturated environment is one where there are just flat out too many people to ever feed them from THAT specific area. The urban inner city apartment dwellers are probably in deep trouble but in general most suburban places actually have a lot of resources if you know how and where to look. TEOTWAWKI will VERY quickly weed out the dumb, lazy and the squeamish.

The "Marauders" that everyone fears and that the Movies make a fortune portraying just won't last very long at all. You have to understand, if you get shot in the gut with a 22 you will DIE badly and slowly unless you have a doctor WITH you. If you get cut deeply you may well die if from nothing else, infection. Violent people just don't last long in an uncivilized anarchistic environment where medical treatment isn't there to save you. Basically they are stupid. One of the flaws of our "civilization" is that the dumb and the just plain evil are coddled and protected. For example, despite the TV shows, the Wild West was a pretty peaceful place. If you were a thief someone killed you. If you harmed someone then they killed you. If you were just plain mean and dishonorable someone would kill you. The murder rates nonetheless were very low by today's standards. You didn't get to do it over and over and be protected by a lot of technicalities of the Law. Recidivism for criminals were unlikely if they hung you or shot you.

Without the protection of the law, the lawless won't last long.

poltiregist and Sonofliberty like this.
  30. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    The "Marauders" that everyone fears and that the Movies make a fortune portraying just won't last very long at all.

Some will some won't ! way too many factors to say otherwise! but a blanket statement like that says plenty about your thoughts!:)

31. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm just telling what history has shown where I LIVE and projecting those possibilities into the future. Times change but people don't. The stuff about the Wild west was mostly pulp novel fiction. There weren't stand up shoot outs in the streets. The facts are that people have not had to put up with much in the way of Marauders since the invention of the repeating firearms. They take very little practice for a person to become lethally proficient with. They don't require special strength. There really is some truth to the old thing about Samuel Colt finally making people truly equal.

When the smallest nearsighted little nerd has the ability to drop a 6'6" 300 pound thug things change fast. Without guns the biggest and baddest will rule but when a gun enters into things that changes real fast. You have to understand, I could sit out at over a hundred yards with my Ruger 10-22 22lr in basically kill a dozen Marauders from ambush in ten seconds. Gut shoot them all real fast then fade into the woods and wait then for them to die. Life is so very fragile once you take out modern medicine. People that make other people feel threatened and afraid just won't last long where I live. Things may (WILL) be totally different in places where only criminals have guns and weapons. I truly pity those people.

32. Kootenay prepper

Kootenay prepper Expert Member
      227/230

Blog Posts:
    In western a Canada I have locations where I can gather during the summer months and hunt and fish year round and see very few people. I think for the first few years I will use compound bows for hunting to prevent drawing attention.

33. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    LOL, Hunting in the sense of gathering food from natural sources means a lot of different things to different people. Back in the late 70s up until that last of the 80s there were a couple million Vietnamese boat people that were refugees. The US took a lot of them in and resettled them in various parts of America. One of the places that got a huge number of them was the Texas Gulf Coast especially in the East Texas parts. The environment was similar to what they were used to. Where I grew up rice farming was big as was shrimping and commercial fishing.

One of the jokes that was based on reality was about the fact that when the Vietnamese moved into an area the stray dogs and cats just vanished. The fact is that they actually did eat them and looked at a stray do sort of like a we might look at a stray chicken. Even in an urban environment there are a lot of animals. Just because we don't think of them as food now doesn't mean that they are not eatable.

The fact is that in the event of all the people leaving the urban centers the abandoned dogs may become a serious problem on several levels. The bigger more aggressive breeds may become dangerous as predatory packs develope but there is another threat that they will pose. In the past one of the things that people feared most was "mad dogs". A mad dog was a threat unto itself but even worse it was a carrier of rabies and any bite they did was deadly! Without our care this will reappear. There was a reason that every town had a dog catcher and it wasn't because they got into the trash. Most places also had ratters that worked on keeping the rat populations down. Rats were also carriers of death and the plague was but one of their gifts.

Hunting animals is more than just a food gathering exercise. Their populations have to be controlled and people are especially hard on other predators. People that are not experienced hunters are not going to find a lot to eat in the woods. Bambi isn't often just standing out there asking to be shot and with a bunch of crazy people out there they are going to be even more likely to lay low. I know that here you can tell when deer season starts. A week before it you will see deer all over the sides of the highways in the morning but a couple weeks later they are GONE!! It is a joke around here that a week after the deer season opens all the deer have moved into the state park or the country club subdivisions with golf courses. The truth is that they get so thick that some subdivisions allow bow hunting in the mornings before 8am to keep the deer from eating all of the landscaping. Even the state park closes for two weeks to allow hunters to thin them out.

A year after the fall most of the stupid will be gone. Most of the violent will be gone. Those that are left are going to be a lot different than the average person is today. We live in a time when stupidity is encouraged. Even murderers are allowed to go free and do it again at least once in most cases. Once again hunting will be a way of life as it used to be. Every community will have its hunters and they will provide most of the meat while others will grow things and others will make things. If you will study the way the various tribes worked world wide you will see this theme repeated over and over.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  34. Hick Industries

Hick Industries Expert Member
      155/173

Blog Posts:
    The OP offers a reasonable warning, and im sure it makes sense for their area. It does not make sense in rural Oklahoma.

We have so many perch, bass, and catfish that no one will bother fighting over them. It will be like zucchini in the summer, every one will have plenty and sick oif the taste.

The same is true of wild hogs and white tail deer. Hunters harvest 200,000 deer legally every year in Oklahoma, and the population continues to grow. No one knows how many hogs are taken each year, but their population continues to grow.

If a person would learn to grow a garden, they will not starve!

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  35. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    If you are worried about your garden being found, google "guerrilla gardening". You can also plant non-standard foods. Most of the sheeple will never recognize even regular foods in their normal, planted state. How many sheeple will recognize carrots still in the ground? How many know you can eat Moringa? They will recognize tomatoes, cucumbers, and other vine grown veggies and tree grown fruits. Everything else is a mystery to most of the sheeple.

The GMAN and TMT Tactical like this.
  36. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    You could plant potatoes, yams, and peanuts in the middle of a divided boulevard and nobody would know what they were.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  37. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I agree with Hick Industries , I live on the other side of the Ozarks from him . People may be that cruddy where some folks live that they are afraid to fire a gun to obtain food , or grow a garden , some appear to think they might be robbed of their catch if they went fishing , and admitted they would consider mugging someone and taking their catch . Some on here may not believe this , but that simply is not the kind of people that inhabit the Ozarks . Actually the culture is like going back in time about 50 years . There was a documentary made about the Arkansas Ozarks back in the black and white film days depicting how backwards in time these hill people were . That film has since been made illegal to watch , but was very accurate . I guess some folks just couldn't handle the truth .Personally I like living backwards in time . I know of one family that lives in a cave . Mess with these hill people and you might disappear forever . Act decent and you will probably never find nicer folks . Getting mugged for a fish around here is a ridiculous concept .

Sonofliberty and TMT Tactical like this.
  38. Oldguy

Oldguy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    Getting mugged for a fish around here is a ridiculous concept .

It might be now but it will come to a place near you sometime after the apocalypse, maybe not your fish but something similar.
    It would be unwise to discount the possibility.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  39. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    It's impossible to know how people will react in a new and desperate situation. While some good people may pull together the original premise of this post is very likely for some areas, especially those with higher population densities.
    A lot will depend on the people and abundance (or lack) of resources in your location.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  40. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Immediately after the collapse the best idea is to hunker down with your supplies(that's why we have them) so that you don't go out and put yourself at risk among the looting and rioting non prepared people.
    once the mortality rate has set in and the "die off" is complete it will then be safe to go outside- 30 days without food will do it for most people, if they aren't actually dead they will be close to it .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  41. Kootenay prepper

Kootenay prepper Expert Member
      227/230

Blog Posts:
    If your forced to go out and find food and your worried about hunting with a gun might want to consider hunting with a bow or using snares for small game.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  42. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    good idea to keep the noise down, you don't want undesireables coming to check you out!!

TMT Tactical likes this.