Avoid panic in times of crisis

Discussion in 'Mental Preparedness' started by Corzhens, May 19, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    When we rented the house of a family friend, we were warned of the floods because the house is situated in a low lying area. But we didn't expect that the flood was waist-high inside the living room. Worse, the floodwaters rushed in and in just a matter of minutes the ground floor was filled with knee-high waters.

I was scared. And who wouldn't? But my husband had the presence of mind to bring me to the second floor. We sat there looking out the window to see the flooded street. He said that we cannot do anything. And since we are helpless so what we can do is just to wait for the water to subside. He went down to get some supplies - food and drinks - and we had some sort of a picnic on the second floor, unmindful of the submerged appliances and furniture. In fairness to my husband, he is right. We have to think of ourselves first before other things.

2. Lakeisha Brown

Lakeisha Brown New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Panic attacks are so easy to have but all you have to do is breathe. In a time of crisis, the last thing you need to do is panic. Thank you for this post. Good read.

3. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    An unexpected situation, one you weren't prepared for will most probably make anyone panic and should they there's a high likelihood that they'll make the wrong choices which may not be good for them in the long run.

This is one reason why one must be mentally prepared for anything. There's no assurance that everything will alright all the time. When you least expect it you can find yourself in a survival situation but you'll make it out fine if you know what needs to be done.

4. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Panic is often a recipe for disaster. When you are able to put your mind together, you have better chance to think for a viable solution in moments of distress. Most unexpected events as burning or natural disaster have several ways to going trhough them unscathed. Panic could lead you to a worse situation, towards an unavoidable harm to your physical integrity or even directly towards death.

5. Dilof

Dilof New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    This honestly depends; in most cases panic is bad as it forces you to make quick unnessecary decisions. But it can't be all bad seeing as the fight or flight response is there for a reason. Panic depends on the situations, there are some situations where you should panic and it's very hard to overcome.

6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    its not just ourselves that might panic, its others who might be around us, that could be family or it might be complete strangers. I tend to avoid the latter by not going into big cities and large public gatherings.

7. Dilof

Dilof New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Going in to large public areas and events is in general a bad idea nowadays with the constant terrorism threats.. Which is near impossible because in cities the trains are in use 24/7 and always crowded even though several warnings.

8. Aimee

Aimee Member
      11/23

Blog Posts:
    I just posted a thread about my having panic disorder. I can not imagine how scared you must have been and I am so glad that your husband was there with you and helped you. Mine would help calm my fears some but sadly when I get into a state of panic I feel as thought nothing and nobody will help me. It is a helpless feeling and horrible. But I want to learn how to be more prepared and that is why I joined this forum. Thank you for posting this!

9. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I have a feeling I won't be near as mentally prepared as I think. I have anxiety and other personal issues I deal with. I do think I would adapt rather quickly if I'm able to make it through the initial shock.

10. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    unfortunately, most people these days have never been through truly hard times so have no idea of what they are really like.

11. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    In a situation like this you must really have the presence of mind because if not you will not have only that fears for yourselves but as well a panic attack that you are saying. I am glad that you and your husband had overcome this kind of unavoidable crisis in your life. Maybe if this will happen to me I will have this anxieties and lose of hope because personally I easily get nervous to unexpected situations. You are right that in times like this we have to think first of ourselves before other things. Nice post :)

12. NormaD

NormaD New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I have a little mental trick that I use in such situations. It involves taking a few seconds to breathe really deep and calm myself before I react. Next I think of all the things that I have to be thankful for in that moment. For example, if a friend or family member has been in an accident, then I always give thanks for the fact that they were not hurt any more than they are, and so on... This really helps me to stay calm and grounded.

13. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    That must've been a crippling moment for you, especially if there's really no immediate solution to the problem at hand. I can only imagine how i'm going to be like under that situation, i'll be a complete mess. But like some people have mentioned, pausing for a second and taking a deep breathe really helps you to calm down and brings you back to the present moment and instead of panicking, you'll be inclined to finding solutions to the issues.

14. cecejailer

cecejailer New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Panic attacks is the worst thing that can happen in a bad situation. A few days ago my mother called for help, she cut her finger pretty badly and was bleeding heavily. Thing is, I didn't realize it was her finger bleeding, so I freaked out, specially because she passed out
    (probably because of the sight of blood). So I just stopped, braced myself and calmed myself just enough so I could call 911. If I had panicked for too long, it might have compromised her health.
    You can't freak out, unless you're in immediate danger (fight or flight type of cases). You need to calm down and think of the most plausible solution.

15. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    In a survival situation avoiding panic is crucical, it can be the difference between survival and dying. You need to be prepared for every scenario possible and be at an all-time high in terms of your mental state. You'll have to make crucial decisions and those can't be made under panic.

16. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Keeping a cool head in emergencies is important. I know this is easier said than done but it is a must. When we panic during a crisis it can make
    things 100 times worst. What your husband did seems pretty smart.