Barrels, Pro And Con

Discussion in 'All Resources About Fire' started by PriscillaKing, May 23, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. PriscillaKing

PriscillaKing Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    On the pro side: Burning all but the most toxic waste, during all but the driest drought weather, is legal (in Virginia) if you burn in a nice solid metal barrel. Leaves, wood, garbage, junkmail...and what you scooped out of the litter box converts from "nauseous" to "Hey, where's the barbecue?" (Worked on my neighbors, anyway.)

On the con side: That's because it is hard to get a fire going in a barrel. Fire burns up, but just try to get a match down to the tinder, or add more tinder if the first layer has not ignited the kindling.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Don't you have a firestick??

PriscillaKing likes this.
  3. PriscillaKing

133/173

Blog Posts:
    No. Might be useful while it lasted though :)

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We have fire bans in the driest & hottest summers, & with climate change it is gradually getting worse. I would imagine that most people using a 44 gallon drum to make a fire is are probably using petrol to get it going. You need to be very careful when doing this & make sure you fuel container is no where near your fire drum.
    Keith.

PriscillaKing likes this.
  5. PriscillaKing

133/173

Blog Posts:
    I use wooden matches myself, but thanks for reminding anyone using gas, kerosene, lighter fluid, etc. Flames usually go straight up; sometimes a spark or blazing sheet of paper will fly up out of the barrel on the updraft. Virginia law requires people burning stuff in a barrel to stay nearby while it's aflame.

I also wear cotton not nylon...when paper, leaves, etc., blaze up I don't know whether a nylon sleeve would start to melt or ignite before you could move out of range, but prefer not to find out.

Most of the year the ground is wet enough that if a leaf or piece of paper flies out of the barrel and lands on the ground, the flame immediately dies and you have to put the thing back in the barrel to burn any remaining portion of it. Some years we do have long dry spells when it's possible for dry leaves or grass on the ground to catch fire.

Keith H. likes this.