Bear and Boar proof shelter

Discussion in 'Primitive Shelter' started by Nedbushcrafter, Jun 21, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Nedbushcrafter

Nedbushcrafter Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    1339999435671.jpg 1339999436926.jpg 1339999436061.jpg
    This is my design for a Bear and boar proof tree shelter lets ya sleep safe in woods with bigger dangerous animals about this took a day to build from.scratch

2. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Looks nice. How warm is it in the wintertime?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Nedbushcrafter

143/173

Blog Posts:
    Its pretty good its out the cold air on the ground good sleeping bag or bed roll your warm

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I have seen tree houses with modern designs but your design truly is the traditional. And I like the ladder which I'm sure would lift when you are on the tree house so there is no way an intruder can come up. Sometimes it's nice to imagine an overnight stay in that kind of tree house. Some years ago we went to a beach resort with a tree house for accommodation. It was built on a real tree but it has a bathroom. That ruined it because that bathroom with faucet gave it a modern look. But there's no facilities like tv or refrigerator. However, there is an air conditioner, huh.

TMT Tactical and koolhandlinc like this.
  5. Nedbushcrafter

143/173

Blog Posts:
    Ahh this is purely for living out in a long term survival situation this type of shelter the ends can be blocked off to conserve warmth by tying on a tarp on each end

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    looks good Ned, I always fancied a tree house when I was a kid, but never got one.
    it certainly makes sense to go higher, better for security and you can see further than on the ground.

7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've just subscribed to your channel mate.
    anyone else wants to, just go on youtube and type in "nedbushcrafter" in the search bar, click and it comes up.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    A bears climb trees easy and quick nice shelter tho.

9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    no bears in the UK.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    This is true. Black bears climb trees all the time.

11. Nedbushcrafter

143/173

Blog Posts:
    Yes but it gives you some protection at least living on the ground is no joy when bears are around we have wild boar here they are dangerous

12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yep, same around here too Ned.
    never mind what the situation, I think its better to set camp away from the damp ground, even a few feet is an improvement.

13. Nedbushcrafter

143/173

Blog Posts:
    Exactly mate up off the ground is so much better to sleep your body has a tendency to draw the cold up from the ground I know there are ways to combat this but raised is far better

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. Mert01

Mert01 New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    What about monkeys

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:

They aren't performing any longer but were popular for a while.

https://www.biography.com/people/groups/the-monkees

"Hey hey, we are the Monkees/You know we love to please/A manufactured image/With no philosophies." In 1968, the Monkees addressed their own reputation in the song "Ditty Diego (War Chant)," which summed up the bad rap they'd received in the music press since they first emerged in the summer of 1966.

Sorry I can't help myself.
    I'm out of prozac!:(

16. Okaviator

Okaviator Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    This would definitely be a fun way to live off the land during the summer. However, as soon as the cold weather hits I think that this could be a viable hunting post.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    Bear don't go looking for people to attack. That is nonsense. A tree-house is exellent bear protection, allthough I never seen one before. But what happens on the VERY few occations people are attacked by bears is they either get in between a mother and her cub or that the bear accidentally walks into camp and people start shooting or creating a ring around the bear so it feel threatened. Bears are not to play with! I'm not saying that.

Point is, I think a treehouse would make a great shelter. I would try and get some more substantial walls and a roof on that baby, I don't know where Ned lives but If I was to build something like that in Northern Sweden I would put alot of effort into insulation and a heating option, like a woodstove.

Cool project, I would love to do something like that.

18. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We have a just huge hog problem here but even with that they are not really a danger. Even the Russian Boars that are here will avoid people if it can. The only time people have bad issues with them is if you mess with their little piglets or trap them or injure them. Domestic pigs are about the same. Pigs are smart and generally don't start problems. Boars are mean but even with that they are generally more bluff than really dangerous. Bulls can be mean but I've never had a problem with but one and have been around them all my life. That one bull...well I suspect that the fact that we were cutting his balls off at the time might have had something to do with his aggravation. He got loose and put us ALL over the coral fence!! LOTS of bruises but in the end we got the job done. Four lariats and a set of bull tongs in his nose held him still for the rest of his surgery.

That is a cool tree house!! I would like one of those tree houses to get up and away from the bugs and snakes you have on the ground here. I've had a couple of deer stands up off the ground that were big enough to sleep in. We don't currently have bears but they are trying to reintroduce them. Personally I like being the top of the food chain. At least here we can legally carry a big handgun any time we go in the woods...or all the time with a license.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  19. koolhandlinc

koolhandlinc Expert Member
      245/345

Blog Posts:
    Clearly in many countries this would work well. Bears? Which would be better? Attacked by a bear and it has to climb to get to you or on the ground only. If a bear attacked I would prefer to be raised in a tree shelter!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    If you urinate at the base of each tree, the vast majority of animals bears and wolves included will stay away. Unless they smell food.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    To a hungry bear, you are "food".
    Your scent won't necessarily deter them.
    It's not unusual to see them around people's houses.
    9aZRaP7i10Y15b0HEc4hHrcgDbgOAhcE.png
    9aZRaP7i10Y15b0HEc4hHrcgDbgOAhcE.jpeg

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  22. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I do love the tree house. Very impressive, and built in a day. Boar proof for sure. Bear proof? Probably. I would like to think if a bear was to climb one of the trees you would be able to hear them coming. I wonder if there is a way to raise and lower the ladder for a little added security? A two-legged predator might be overly curious.

TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  23. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Truthfully I would be a little freaked out by the way the two joists come to a single point (attached to a single tree) at one end of the shelter but the logs on top are the same length. This would create a lot of leverage (rotational moment) on the two joists if someone got too near the edge at that end of the treehouse, especially if they didn't understand how it was constructed.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  24. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Drop Bears live in the trees! But not in the UK;) Good shelter mate, well done.
    Keith.
    d94010232b8ab6515dda60604f252f82.jpeg

TMT Tactical likes this.
  25. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    How about a bitch-proof shelter?!

fc3714c0110c75fe2b8a69a63fd926f3.jpeg

TMT Tactical likes this.
  26. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I once saw a black bear "teenager" climb a tree more quickly than any squirrel could have. The bear was healthy fat ... and fast.

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  27. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    image.jpeg
    Almost pissed myself laughing the first time I was told about the drop bears, funny they only ever attack visitors..

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  28. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    e61e72dc2475ee7ac90b8c0b8902b4d4.jpeg e61e72dc2475ee7ac90b8c0b8902b4d4.jpeg
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.