Becoming Ill

Discussion in 'The Apocalypse' started by Toast, Jun 19, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    If you were to become ill in an apocalypse, what would you do? Let's say in this situation you're alone. Would you look for other people who might be able to treat you? Would you look for documents on how to treat your symptoms? Would you recognize your illness and treat it immediately? How would you go about rationing your food, especially if you might spit it back up? You're supposed to stay hydrated, but what if you're running low on drinking water? How would you handle the situation?

2. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Hmm, I suppose it depends on what is ailment I have. I mean, if I catch the plague, I think I'd meet a rather unfortunate end. I wouldn't want to pass my incurable disease to others, so I'd try to fight it off the best I could alone. But if it was a common cold or the flu, I'd treat it myself. I know common herbal remedies for such issues, so I wouldn't have to seek out others for medical care. Since my mother worked in a hospital for nearly 30 some years, I've gleaned a lot of health care knowledge from her.

As for food, if I think I might vomit, I'd merely drink herbal teas and eat easily digestible vegetables with high water content if I could find them. Otherwise, I'd wait until my stomach settled before trying something more solid. Of course, running out of fluid would be a huge issue. If I could move myself to a place near water, I'd do that. If I can't walk and run out of water, well, there's a true dilemma. Guess I'd have to pull a Bear Grylls.

3. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    I Would look for other people who might be able to treat me, because I am not a physician, I can't always tell what is really happening to me without a proper diagnosis. Unless is something that I can recognize and afterwards treat with antibiotics, since bacterial infection is more common than a virus.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'd stay where I was and wait for the symptoms to pass.
    looking for others in a weakened state is leaving one open to attack and abuse.

5. Big K

Big K New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I just watched a new video about 10 things to add to your bugout bag and stomach medicine was one of them.Depending on the illness i may just stockpile food and water and whatever else i could find as quick as possible and find a rathole that was safe to wait it out.

6. SSG Nasty

SSG Nasty Well-Known Member
      75/115

Blog Posts:
    Depending upon your location will greatly determine how well you fare during an illness.

Wandering around the countryside would be the most detrimental scenario, dependent upon what you have in your pack and what is available around you.

Situated in a more permanent location, whether you bug out or in, could definitely make the illness easier to handle.

7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    even if one were to become a nomad, even nomads stay in one place for awhile if the food supply is good .