Best foods to survive on

Discussion in 'Other Advanced Survival Skills' started by Aneye4theshot, Jan 25, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Aneye4theshot

Aneye4theshot Expert Member
      125/140

Blog Posts:
    upload_2016-1-25_2-47-58.png
    Went off grid or surviving out in the middle of the woods you might think hunting deer or big game for meat is your best source of food. This is not always true because big game is really hard to catch unless you are experienced and have a gun. In a survival situation, most people usually don't have a gun, so there are some certain foods that are easy to obtain in the wild and are really the best foods to survive on. Fishing is very easy if you have fishing line or strong thread and a hook even if it is improvised. Even if you don't have a fishing pole you can use your water bottle by simply wrapping the fishing line or thread around it when you are reeling it in. Fish are a good source of protein, and if you are craving meat, they will suffice. On the other hand, if you need to gather food quickly and don't have time to stand around you can find insects, nuts and berries in the surrounding vegetation. You can find grubs under tree bark, flat rocks, and crickets which can be consumed and are safe to eat as well. Always be careful with any nut or berry you eat because it may be poisonous.

Ricky Jeringan likes this.
  2. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    For the first week or so most can live on there own fat reserves, will probably do most of us some good to trim down somewhat!

3. Shamanoxxx

Shamanoxxx New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I think that surviving off grid is not hard at all if you are in balance with nature, nature will get you what you need for survival on a long run if you learn the ways how she functions and take a good care of her, it's simple as that. :)

John Snort likes this.
  4. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    If you can catch them or find them depending on where you are, grasshoppers can make a good meal. There are people I've heard of who survived solely on grasshoppers and locusts. They aren't that tasty though. Whilst camping in the woods at one time, I ate a roasted locust and it wasn't that great. It's something you can get used to eventually I suppose.

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    best foods to survive on are the ones you normally eat, changing your diet after some catastrophe is probably not awise thing to do under the circumstances you have enough to contend with.

6. Sealpikachu

Sealpikachu Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    Nuts are the best in my opinion. They are really easy to find and give tons of energy asides from being tiny so you can carry lots of them. One time my great grandpa was feeling really down and didn't want to eat so I kept handing him almonds. A tiny bag I had in my pocket was enough to sustain him that day.

7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think people are falling into the trap of waiting until SHTF and then going out looking for food, the whole idea of prepping is to prepare before anything happens, not after.

8. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Reading this made me realize I need to research foods that are safe to eat. I've never learned what types of berries,mushrooms, or plants that are poisonous. I imagine I do know one or two, but I'm putting myself in danger by not knowing.

9. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    Nuts are great, which is why trail mix is something we normally eat as a snack around here so we can rotate fresh reserves of it in and out of both of our survival kits (both our house kit and our mobile car kit). I agree with another poster that if at all possible you shouldn't try to make drastic changes to your diet right away if at all possible when disaster strikes. That is why it is so good to be prepared. Any drastic changes will be noticed by your body and can sometimes cause unpleasant stomach issues that you don't want to deal with on top of whatever disaster you have been faced with.

10. ZoeZoundBarrier

ZoeZoundBarrier Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    It has occurred to me that if you do not want to go without food while in the wild. Big game can not be your main source of food. View it as a luxury and not a necessity. The easier to find that your food is, the better off you will be.

11. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I keep a very large net in a bag in the rear of my vehicle!
    Strung up near a dam and birds are easy!
    If there is a locust swarm you can catch plenty!
    You can also net fish in streams and bats at night!
    very handy bit of kit!
    roasted locust with mustard or chilli or curry is ok!