Best place to buy old style steel strikers

Discussion in 'All Resources About Fire' started by VARGRWOLF, Oct 13, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. VARGRWOLF

VARGRWOLF Well-Known Member
      75/93

Blog Posts:
    As i mature in my obsession with Bushcraft and more especially fire. As I move through and try to teach myself every possible way to make primitive fire I am wanting to purchase an old style flint and steel kit but no one has an online website or store for their Forge. I would like some ideas on the best place to purchase a kit.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If you are in the UK, you can check out http://sharkdesigns.co.uk/home_pages/1_fire_online_store.html But I have no idea what their fire steels are like.
    If you are in the USA, check out https://www.trackofthewolf.com/categories/partdetail.aspx/1107/1/STRIKER-KIT

If you are going to purchase a tinderbox, & I recommend that you either use an old tobacco tin or similar or purchase the real thing, be careful of what you buy. Some people are advertising 19th century tobacco tins with a burning glass in the lid as a tinderbox. These are interesting pieces, but NOT recommended for use as a tinderbox.

If you have not seen them already, you will find my fire lighting videos in this same forum. If you have any questions, just ask.
    Regards, Keith.

3. VARGRWOLF

75/93

Blog Posts:
    I am in Texas US and have seen many videos on this subject
    , but finding a good set online that is not a fake is proving difficult. Iv tried contacting forges here as i travel. But i am worried if i buy online i would get junk.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Track of the Wolf in the US is pretty good. If the product is not up to scratch, they will credit you or replace the item. I suggest you check out their hand forged steel
    STRIKER-CF & one of the tinderboxes just below it on this page https://www.trackofthewolf.com/categories/partdetail.aspx/1107/1/STRIKER-KIT either in brass or steel. Remember, not the ones with a burning glass in the lid.
    I can't comment on you having seen other videos on fire lighting. Many copy my videos but don't always get it right. A lot of research goes into my videos, & I have been doing this all my life. By all means watch other people's videos, but make sure you take a look at mine as well. I am just trying to help set you on the right path, there is a lot of amateurs & misinformation out there.
    Best of luck.
    Keith.

5. VARGRWOLF

75/93

Blog Posts:
    Your passion runs deep as does mine. I'd like to thank you for responding and I will definitely watch your videos and check out the website track of the wolf.
    Do you have a youtube channel i could subscribe to, or shall i find those videos here.

6. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    My videos are on this forum, but you will find my video channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHEOMSZJETfj3GnoyONuvCQ?view_as=public
    Regards, Keith.

7. DocC

DocC New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Dixie Gun Works catalog lists a flint and steel kit. I have owned and used one since about 1980.?

Keith H. likes this.
  8. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    As Doc says, Dixie Gun Works is in your own territory & can supply fire steels https://www.dixiegunworks.com/advan...=fire+steel&osCsid=lumrco9o7libhsk0ka51go9l04 I have not had any contact with them for years, but when I did they were always very reliable.
    Keith.

9. VARGRWOLF

75/93

Blog Posts:
    I went to their website but I couldn't find the steel Strikers

10. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
  11. Cornswaylo

Cornswaylo New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Google Hudson bay fire kit ,it's an remake of the brass kits trappers used with a magnifying glass in the lid comes with a Flint,steel,charcloth,some jute cord ,in a nice leather pouch. Got mine about a year ago. Great quality and price

12. Cornswaylo

Cornswaylo New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:

13. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Unfortunately this information is not correct. The container you speak of is in fact a copy of a 19th century tobacco box with a burning glass in the lid. This is not suitable if you want to use the flint & steel as it is meant to be used.
    Tinder is not only carried in the tinderbox, it is prepared in the tinderbox & the tinderbox is used to make fire. Plant tinders are charred directly in the fire, then they are placed in the tinderbox & the lid is closed to smother the smouldering tinder. There are several ways then that you can use this tinder to make fire. One common method was/is to strike sparks onto the tinder in the tinderbox, then offer the kindling grass or whatever you are using to the smouldering tinder in the tinderbox & blow it into flame.

If you were to use a tobacco tin to prepare your plant tinders, it will foul the burning glass & may break it. I strongly recommend that you purchase a proper tinderbox, or use some other form of tin container.

I sincerely hope you are not offended by this post Cornswaylo, but I feel that I need to correct this error. The people who sell these kits using the wrong containers simply don't know what they are talking about & it is not fare to newbies who don't have the correct information to be able to judge for themselves.
    Regards, Keith.
    NZ_5Q9J0Va9jhFuyDpALUxnnioZ51_G3.jpeg
    Brass tinderbox.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  14. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    Hell make one out of a old file easy to make

Keith H. likes this.
  15. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    This is my original 18th century fire steel, if you look closely you can still see the teeth marks of the file it used to be.
    Keith.
    phCntET3YvYG2wB6BVg-O-VvrYm_m1CD.jpeg

16. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
  17. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
  18. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Keith.
    It's the only site like that I've ever found.
    The custom muzzle loaders are pricey but they should be pricey.
    Built by hand one at a time that they are.

Keith H. likes this.
  19. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Ran across these sayings and thought I'd pass 'em on.

"An armed man is a free man. An unarmed man is a fool. A disarmed man is a slave."

A bad day shooting is better than a good day at work.
    I"m a proud infidel.

You know that little thing inside your head that keeps you from saying things you shouldn't? Yeah, I don't have one of those.

How to piss off a conservative, lie to them. How to piss off a liberal, tell them the truth.

You can't fix democrat.

Keith H. likes this.