Best plants for the apocalypse.

Discussion in 'Gardening, Plant Propegation, & Farming' started by jonthai, Jun 11, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. jonthai

jonthai New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    So I've been wondering for this for a while. What are the best plants that fit the apocalyptic environment in case a disaster occurs? Are there some plants that are stronger than others, or what should we plant?

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    anything you can eat.

3. DecMikashimota

DecMikashimota New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Tomatoes can supposedly survive in some of the harshest conditions known to man. If they can grow on planet mars then they will certainly survive an apocalypse.

4. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Any plants that produce food are good ones. Bonus points if they can survive tough conditions, where they may not get the proper sun and water they need everyday. I think that means potatoes would be quite a good thing to grow. Besides that, there's lots of herbal things and spices. Those are always great as they can come in handy. Having spice can be the defining factor on being able to withstand your food for a long amount of time. Bland, boring food can get disgusting after a while, but if there's spices, you can use them so it's not as disgusting. Herbal things can be used for medicinal purposes, which I think would be very sought after in an apocalypse situation.

5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    What depends on where you live. In a lot of the US the old Indian three sisters would be hard to beat. The three sisters are corn, pole beans and squash. You plant it in a little mound or hill. The corn first;plant 4 or 5 seeds then thin to the best three. You let it grow a little then plant the pole beans around it then after that comes up you surround the hill with squash. The beans climb the corn and make it stronger while they tend to feed each other as the beans fix nitrogen in the soil. The squash grow thick and will sort of protect the corn and beans from coons and such. Throw in some lambs quarters, and maybe amaranth or other sort of wild grain and you have a pretty good low maintenance food supply.

Old Geezer likes this.
  6. PaulBell

PaulBell New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    This is a good discussion. I haven't thought of this before.

7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Another thought that you might look at would be tuber type plants like sweet potatoes, yams and peanuts. The thing about these plants is that if you plant them in a scattered sort of pattern, most people don't have a clue what the above ground part of these plants looks like. Growing your food will only be half the work. Keeping people from raiding it and steeling it will possibly be at least as hard to do. Also, these plants are relatively low maintenance type plants and the less time you spend around them the less attention you will draw to your crops. In an urban environment these could be planted covertly in low areas of over grown lots or parks. Just a thought.

8. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Obviously we should plant something that we can eat. My best bet are root crops and my favorite is the sweet potato. The advantage in root crops is that the root is under the soil so it cannot be easily seen by people who have bad intentions. In an apocalypse, you really cannot say what will happen to the behavior of people. Especially if you plant the root crops in the wilds, no one may suspect that it is for food unless they are familiar with the plants. Taro and yam are good but cassava is noticeable that it is a crop so I don't recommend it.

9. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    NOTHING HYBRID!

If you save seeds from hybrids versus heirloom you won't get good fruit/veggies from saved seeds.
    I buy only heirloom and save those seeds.

For fertilizer I use a bit of 10 10 10 if I use it at all.

I compost grass, use lawn grass clippings for mulch to keep weeds down and hold
    precious moisture.
    Clippings biodegrade too and build good soil
    Fish leavings from cleaning edible fish are great but don't plant too close to plant roots.
    My tallest tomato plant ever was 7 feet and it made plenty of tomatoes.
    Long ago I would take carp with archery gear. LOTS of carp breeding in shallows.
    Dad and I would cut into large pieces with a hatchet (the SHOWER!) and "plant" the
    pieces next to plant roots but not too close.
    Rotting fish can rot plant roots.

Try as we might we never grew a carp! :>)

Food did NOT taste like fish. :>)

Gramps was a Russian immigrant and threw a fit over "wasting" fish.
    He'd PICKLE and fry the carp.
    ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

10. kamar19

kamar19 Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    plants that are easy to grow, but it all depends on your Location, I live in Florida and we have year around crops, also weeds like dandelion are very healthy and they grow all over the country. Cactus is another plant that grows in the dessert, that is also fit to eat, Aloe vera is another plant that is easy to grow, not good for the taste buds, but in an emergency any food will do.

11. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts: