Best shelter design

Discussion in 'Permanent Shelters' started by FuZyOn, Jun 5, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    With limited resources and a short time to build a house, what do you think is the best design for a shelter? I thought about using a lot of rugs for the roof with clay and straws for the foundation of the house. I guess this is the best idea if you want to get a shelter going fast, it's also a good idea to build it under a solid tree (it needs to be solid otherwise it can fall on you) for added protection.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Rugs for a roof leaks would be many lighter easier to carry how a bout useing a dark tarp or camo. One instead

3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    In my opinion the Tipi or Teepee is the best primitive shelter ever designed, & pretty much unbeatable in this modern age. However, it does require animal skins for the cover & for the internal ozan. The next one I like which is easier to construct is the Wigwam, these come in several shapes & sizes & can be covered in tree bark or reeds. The advantage to both of these shelters is that you can have a fire inside.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]
    This is the Wigwam I built for my own use in our forest.
    [​IMG]
    This shows the construction of the frame. Three main poles are secured together with plant cordage, then a hoop is made & tied to these three pole. Other poles are then secured to the hoop. The top is left open to let the smoke out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The bed at the back is made up of the inner bark I stripped from the bush poles.

MKprepper likes this.
  4. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    For most the best shelter would be a camper trailer one unit every thing you need stove water system food storeage a home on wheels mine is very comfy packed stocked ready to roll i did replace the two 20lb propane tanks with two 40 lb bottles a good deep cycle battery in the back and a smalll solar outfit we spend many hours huntin and fishing with it a week of hunting. Coiking and heating water running fridge and heat takes 20lbs of propane

5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    Having a fire inside is definitely a must for me, especially on some cold nights where it's hard to get outside. A teepee seems like a really nice design for a starter shelter, the structure of the Wigwam seems pretty sturdy as well.
    How much space can one possibly have in a teepee though? I'm a fairly big guy and I like to deposit a lot of stuff.

6. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    Agreed. I always had a particular fancy for tipi or similar structures. Having a fire inside your shelter gives you a one up on survival. But with limited time restraints, obtaining animal hide in time would be almost impossible. Maybe a Tipi structure with tree bark would suffice, or heavy leafage.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  7. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    The whole point of the thread was a shelter design that had time and resource restraints. The call for a camper on wheels defeats the whole purpose of discussion.

8. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I think a tent or a tepee would be sufficient initially. (Although I don't know many people with a teepee at the ready.) What to live in long term is the question. It will take more than a couple of weeks or a month for society to become organized and find its way if something nationwide happens. I know during the Great Depression and in other countries housing is made out of plywood and tin roofs.