Bicycle Camper

Discussion in 'Natural, Temporary, and Permanent Shelter' started by joshposh, Jun 7, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    I thought this was another cool idea by the same inventor that I have posted here before. Not an original idea, but it is his version on a old concept.

It is very lightweight, can be made on the cheap, and for those that want to use bike as a bug out mode of transportation, this is a way to bring along some essential items and some comfort of having a small roof over your head.

What I started thinking of is having a few batteries in the back so that it can power a small electric motor on your bike. Add a small solar panel to charge the batteries during the day would be a nice addition as well.

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I think that camper is cute. But my question is the facilities that are supplied by a battery. If they would last long then it's fine. The issue with battery-operated gadgets is the durability. When it is time to use, it would fail to work. And that solar panel is not very reliable yet so I have apprehensions on such systems of energy particularly for new inventions.

But on the brighter side, that small camper is appropriate for group camping trips since it is a novelty. I'm imagining that our companions will be pitching their tents in the camp while I would have that camper for my comfort and convenience.

koolhandlinc likes this.
  3. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    You don't need the batteries and solar panels. That is just an accessory and not a necessity. The point is to have a bug out shelter that you can use with your bike, if you decide to use one. Roof over your head is the main factor. The solar panels and batteries you can do without. Since the inventor has made shelfs and other conveniences, might as throw in panels and batteries and use LED lights.

Corzhens likes this.
  4. Easyrider

Easyrider New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    bug out on a bicycle is called a tent, or aven better a bivy...400 grams a bivy, 700 grams a sleeping bag, and you are all set.

koolhandlinc likes this.
  5. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Some of the great things about bugging out on a bicycle are that they're able to go places that other vehicles can't, you can easily lift them over obstacles, they increase your load capacity and they'll increase your speed over level ground by around 400% using a similar amount of physical exertion to walking. The nomad cycle camper negates all of these advantages because of its extra weight/bulk/wind resistance but it is an interesting idea and looks like fun.
    PoshJosh, have you ever seen those homemade battery powered pedal trike taxies used in India. simple conversations to supplement the riders physical input with a battery and motor, they're very similar.

koolhandlinc likes this.
  6. koolhandlinc

koolhandlinc Expert Member
      245/345

Blog Posts:
    It might be fun for a vacation. But bugging out? I agree it would slow you down and limit mobility. In addition it would attract attention. If a mass die off occurred it could be useful. Especially the ease of building.