Books?

Discussion in 'Other Advanced Survival Skills' started by John Snort, May 27, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    I've heard it said that you should always have a book with somewhat sturdy pages with you at all times because you can:

- use the paper [as tinder] to start a fire.
    - use the paper to make paper cups. They can hold some water for a little while.
    - read the book if you are bored.
    - you can use the book [assuming it's a hard cover book] as a weapon if you don't have any weapons with you.

Thoughts?

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    how about for reference and knowledge? or is that just too obvious?:D:D

Lee CT NE and Keith H. like this.
  3. John Snort

92/93

Blog Posts:
    That too.

Having survival handbook all the time could be really helpful especially if there are some skills you have to learn. Should SHTFs and you can't get home to get your gear, you could at least use the knowledge you extract from the book to survive.

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    For reading or writing fine, any other purpose is pointless. Which would you rather use to defend yourself, a tomahawk or a book?!
    Many years ago I was a reviewer of survival equipment & survival books. There were very few survival books that I could recommend. Most of the authors simply coppied from other authors who knew absolutely nothing about survival & had absolutely no experience with the methods they were recommending. As a for instance, this one is a classic & found in many books: "For creating a spark for making fire strike a razor blade with a rock."
    One of the best series of books written were by John & Geri McPherson. Written simply, good illustrations & easy to read & understand. When I came to write my first book I based mine on the same style though it was not the same sort of book. John & Geri's books were on a variety of primitive skills & tools, my books are on Primitive Fire Lighting only.
    Unfortunately there is not enough interest in this subject in Australia, so because not enough coppies of my second book sold, the hard copy was discontinued by the publisher. Now it is only available as an Ebook: http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/2015/03/my-book-primitive-fire-lighting-ebook.html
    [​IMG]
    There is more in this book than the title indicates. I wrote this book for Australian survivalists & Living Historians, but I have cross indexed plant materials with other countries.
    Keith.

Lee CT NE and John Snort like this.
  5. John Snort

92/93

Blog Posts:
    What if armed terrorists take over a building you were in? Say a mall? You wouldn't have tomahawk or even a gun if you don't have a concealed carry license.

What weapons would you use to defend yourself since the odds of surviving such an encounter if you surrender are close to zero?

6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    anything you can find lying about, improvise!!

Lee CT NE and John Snort like this.
  7. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If my chances of survival are close to zero, a book is not going to make any difference. I would be getting the hell out of there or finding somewhere to hide.
    Keith.

Lee CT NE likes this.