Boots on the ground...

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Requests' started by Charles R. Stevens, Feb 25, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Charles R. Stevens

Charles R. Stevens Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    wakey wakey, come on folks some one coment, ask a question or something! This forum has potential but it will die a slow death with out activity!

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    use it or lose it.

3. TheJim

TheJim Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    So....I have been doing some reset. Self defense rounds for a 9mm.... Seems ammo quest has found a winner...and it may not be what some would think....

4. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Not a fan of 9mm at all no knock down power hit them with 45 or 357 right they done

5. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Survive means stay alive quick hard kills a must ONE SHOT ONE KILL SPRAYING SHOTS INTO A TARGET WASTE AMMO MAKE EACH AND EVERY SHOT COUNT

6. TheJim

TheJim Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    Interesting... I can kill a man just as easy with a .22 LR at 50 yards as you can with a 45... It's all about shot placement...one shot one kill....just saying....

7. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    I can kill at 100yards with my 22lr rifle and if needed can do it not my first choice tho my first time with 9mm pistol i was unimpressed with what it did. Where the 45 i carry has saved my butt many times and my 357 has put many meals on the table its my choice to use what i prefer is all

8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    this is the main problem for us non Americans, most American prepper and survival sites focus far too much time on guns and gun related.
    post SHTF in Britain the die off will be so huge in my remote rural locality i'll be lucky if I see another person much less have to fire at them!! disease and bad water will kill far more people in Britain than violence will.

9. TheJim

TheJim Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    Ohh...
    357 mares leg or carbine? Or do you have a full sized barrel with a scout on pistol?...yes I'm a gun nut...we need to have a range day!

10. TheJim

TheJim Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    The differences is what makes the board a success, where as Stateside we may have a wider range of firearms to discuss, placing yourself in a situation abroad where improvised weapons may be needed to defend or hunt is a great topic for non-US folks to lead. Personally I lived in England myself or a little over 6 years so I know what you mean first hand.

11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    there are plenty of weapons we can use to hunt post SHTF in the UK, not all weapons need licencing.
    its the licencing that puts most Brit preppers off owning guns and the hoops we have to go to to get said licence in the first place.
    I personally live in a very rural location, the PARISH population is just over 2,000 , in a country where 80-85% of the population lives in cities or large "urban centres", strangers here tend to "stand out a mile" and are quickly noticed.

12. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    I have a dam wesson pistol and a rossi lever action in 357 cal. Ive had the pistol for years and the rifle was a. Xmas gift in 15 both are great tools and work well for me

TheJim likes this.
  13. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    My world travel days are done if i cant drive there not going

14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yep, don't use public transport, too many idiots and all those germs! besides public transport in my area is very limited, nearly non existent, if I cant drive somewhere I don't go there.

15. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Lol if i dont plow the snow. Noone makes it in to our place i plow 8 miles of drive and road to get out to a township road. It 18 miles to town erie is 60 miles

16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'm on the edge of a very small rural market town, nearest town is 10 miles, then 13, then 25.
    nearest large city is over 250 miles away.

17. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like your in a good place allso

18. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes, whilst its not isolated it is remote.

19. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I keep coming across people on the British forums who are preparing for what I call "the minor inconveniences of normal life", stuff like unemployment, illness, divorce, bad winter storms and very short power cuts(a few hours max.) and ONLY these!
    now I have already survived ALL of these and some of them several times over.
    these people are adamant that they will only prep for these events and nothing more, now I have never understood this sort of thinking and it gets me totally confused, just what is the point of prepping for some events but not others?
    I have never been overly concerned about the CAUSES of SHTF or more correctly an L.C.C-life changing catastrophe!
    what I prepare for is the mayhem that comes AFTER the event, the collapse of society and the dark ages which will follow.
    i'm a "prepare for the worst, hope for the best" kind of guy.

20. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Self defence with a pistol!
    Pistol/revolver MUST function first time every time!
    You must be accurate with it!
    and
    You will not have slept for a few days, you may be sick and hungry/thirsty, you could be cold!
    this is when you will need that pistol to save your life!
    Under the above conditions can you accurately shoot your chosen handgun???

For many years I used a .44m revolver and a colt.45 I shot excellently with them when I was well rested, fed and watered!
    but if I was sick or tired/cold! my shooting went to sheeeet!
    By backing down to .38 and 9mm even when sick and tired my shooting was not too bad at all!
    Yes less power but yes better shot placement!
    I sold off the 44m and .45colt as they are too fairweather guns for me!

Ended up with a Colt king cobra stainless 6in barrel in .357m and a Beretta 92 in 9mm
    both have never failed me! the ammo has failed me (reloads) but never the guns!

21. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:

22. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Reloads are used only after new rounds are gone use reloads only you have made

23. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    I do not have problems with reloads any more!
    Errors were on my part and basic laziness!
    I have not had a reload malfunction in over 60,000rds now in rifles or pistol rounds.

Just discovered 300 of the 700 12g I was going to reload wont hold the primer tight!
    So I have just reloaded 400 with slugs! and tossed the 300!

24. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    As to all round shooting!
    Stoppong power is useless if you can not accurately place your shots under all conditions!

What you can achieve on the range while well fed and rested means squat !
    How well you can place your shots under the worst of conditions is what counts!
    And only use as much gun as you can actually achieve that!
    My personal limit under testing conditions is in the 9mm/38special range!
    Love the 1911 colt45 and I shot it just fine at the range but it is strictly a range gun!
    The .45 was my survival gun for several years but excess recoil means it is just a range gun or a fair weather gun!
    Shame really as I really liked that gun, fit my hand better than most!

25. Para173

Para173 Well-Known Member
      95/99

Blog Posts:
    Here's the thing that firearms instructors know about pistols: All pistols, no matter what caliber they are, are weak sisters. There it is. I said it. It is out in the open. GASP!!! Sacrilege! I know I'm going to be damned to firearms hell for being so open and bold but it will be worth it IF I can get my message across to YOU.

Handguns originally started out as "close range, personal defense, final option protection devices used by royal blood people in Europe." In the days of melee fighting, swords clashing and battle axes, the first pistols were used by dukes, earls, kings and so on as a last ditch means of protection to keep their bodies safe from when the peasants got too close and would try to pull them off of their royal mounts. Over the years, the role of the pistol has changed because technology has changed and America has come along. Ben Franklin once called America, "a land of tinkerers." He was 100% right. We will tinker and improve ANYTHING, one way or another, if we can lay our hands on it. That brings us right back to handguns.

About 70% of all people who get shot with handguns normally survive. With rifles, about 70% of all people shot with rifles die. Hmm. So what gives here? Where American tinkering has come into play with handguns involves SWAT and tactical teams. What we've done is learn that by using more precise shooting patterns, multiple bullet strikes and by getting close to the target to deliver quick or double tap hits, we can now make our weak sister handguns MUCH more effective. By using the RIGHT TACTICS with handguns we now make handguns much more effective - in about the 90% range for lethality - so that handguns become more effective.

This has led tactical officers to rethink how they also use their rifles, sub-machineguns and shotguns as well. This is why Navy SEALs, Special Forces Hostage Rescue, Army Rangers, Airborne Recon and Strike Force personnel all practice close range engagements with every weapon that they have. Even long range snipers also get into the act of close range encounters as well.

So no matter what weapon you have, a part of your effectiveness is the firearm and another part is HOW you use your firearms or the tactics behind using your guns. Keep that in mind. Practice for every condition that you may end up operating in. Cold weather, rain, hot weather and so on. Plan ahead now because, if or when trouble hits it will be too late to wish you had done it.

26. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    A firearm is a tool like ay tool it only as good as the person useing it when and if you get or have a firearm use it at a range with someone that can helpyou learn the proper way to use it

27. judyd1

judyd1 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    The most important thing is to practice, practice, practice. Know your weapon, and be familiar with your surroundings. Most usually, those who aren't prepared for possible scenarios in which they would be using a weapon, are those who make the most mistakes. If you don't know how, or can't learn, or don't do well in practice, leave that task to someone who can protect you well.

28. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I really need to get to a gun range. You can always improve. I've had a little experience, but not as much as I would like.

29. Rere

Rere New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    The most important thing is to practice, practice, practice. Know your weapon, and be familiar with your surroundings. Most usually, those who aren't prepared for possible scenarios in which they would be using a weapon, are those who make the most mistakes.