Bows

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by Aneye4theshot, Jan 21, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Aneye4theshot

Aneye4theshot Expert Member
      125/140

Blog Posts:
    upload_2016-1-21_16-37-22.png

Bows are a unique way to hunt and defend yourself from the dangers out in the wild. Finding wood that is straight enough to make arrows might be difficult but the effort is worth it. Some of the best woods for making bows out of include Red Oak, Bamboo, Hickory, Osage, Ipe, Ash, Cedar and Black Walnut. Just be sure that the branch you use can bend a little bit. To string your bow you can use your shoelace and put grooves on each end of your bow.Then tie your shoelace to one end and make a loop on the other. After that, you can use your body weight to bend the bow just a little and connect the loop to the other end and release the pressure, so the cord tightens up. Collecting arrows is probably the hardest part of making a bow and arrow because each arrow requires a little bit of craftsmanship. You're going to need to find feathers for the fletchings of the arrow and arrowheads for the point so they are effective. If your arrow is strong enough just sharpen the wood itself or use smaller sharp rocks. To connect the feathers to the arrow use tree sap or small fine fibers. You should probably make about ten arrows so that you have backups in case you miss. But even before you go hunting you should warm up and do some practice shots.

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    anyone can make a bow out of any bendy stick but it probably wont last long!
    in the UK we use Yew, Ash and Hazel to make bows, you can make a decent long lasting bow in about 6 hours hard work.

Marc Ortiz, Mekada and HappyJackSlade like this.
  3. BIll Dockstader

BIll Dockstader Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    i like the atlatl better personally

HappyJackSlade likes this.
  4. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I prefer longbows myself.

HappyJackSlade likes this.
  5. Charles R. Stevens

Charles R. Stevens Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    I prefer recurved/reflexed bows. Less stack allows me to shoot the long shaves I need (6'2" with long arms) but as they are compact they are better for brush and horseback. A note, if one uses 4 Fletcher's as opposed to the traditional 3, you don't have to worry about the cock feather when knocking. I prefer about 40# draw, as these are very fast bows.

6. HappyJackSlade

HappyJackSlade Well-Known Member
      90/115

Blog Posts:
    I have a z7 myself but I do prefer the recurve for its fast shoot from the hip if needed. I prefer a #60+

7. Prairie Dog

Prairie Dog Expert Member
      155/173

Blog Posts:
    I have seen posts on a couple other forums about making a traditional bow from pvc pipe with a "live" wood core. A select peice of wood is fitted into the pvc pipe, the pipe acts as backing. As I have no experience with bows or making one, was hoping you folks could givenme your opinion on the idea.
    Prairie Dog

TheKambo and HappyJackSlade like this.
  8. HappyJackSlade

90/115

Blog Posts:
    I have no intention of making a bow to hunt with. I have enough at home. As far as arrows go, I'd need carbon firbre or Aluminum for the compound bow but making arrow shafts for one of my recurve bows is not a problem.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    Prairie Dog likes this.
  9. HappyJackSlade

90/115

Blog Posts:
    I totally agree. Atlatl is just a brilliant hunting tool. Just have a few extra dart tips for the main spear and you are ready for some light weight boogie time. Plus they are allot easier to make and also fun to make.

10. HappyJackSlade

90/115

Blog Posts:
    Some of the best glues used to make bows in the old days are swim bladders from fish.

Prairie Dog likes this.
  11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    compound bows wont be much good post collapse, okay whilst they still work, but without a manufacturing base or a warehouse of spare parts post collapse aren't repairable.
    traditional wooden bows can be made from what we find in nature, arrows too.
    the simpler something is post SHTF the easier it will be to replace.

Prairie Dog likes this.
  12. Mekada

Mekada Master Survivalist
      270/345

Blog Posts:
    British longbows were among the best bows ever made!! I believe that they were made of Yew... The use of these bows were made famous by Edward Longshanks if i remember correctly. They gave him immense range when he was fighting William Wallace long ago. I could be wrong, my history is a bit rusty.

13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    they came into their own at the battle of Agincourt, they were the artillery of the day.

Mekada likes this.
  14. Thanez

Thanez Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Bows are awesome love mine but can't reliably kill with it. I don't practice enough with it and I should. Anything and everything that you do with bows takes time and practice. I highly recommend you pick up this skill. It is fun and relaxing not to mention the pride you will feel when you have made your first fully functional bow and made a kill with it. That my friend is a good day.

15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    you don't need to tell me, I have several, from a horse bow to a bow as tall as myself!!

16. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    Bow hunting can be easy if you practice

17. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    I like the recurve my self here me shoot in mine.

TheKambo likes this.
  18. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    I've shot a number of them, both recurve and modern compound. However, they don't figure particularly importantly in our preparedness battery. I am interested in possibly acquiring a crossbow, but since our state is one of the few you can't legally hunt with one, and a suppressed firearm works as well, it has been further down the list of priorities. All that said, it doesn't hurt to have the equipment and skills to use said.

19. Ronald Collins

Ronald Collins New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    Wow, those are so cool. I want one.

20. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    Thanks it's a 40# made by toparchery 99$ shipped to the door.

21. Okaviator

Okaviator Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    Awesome tips on what types of wood to make a bow out of. I prefer to make my bow out of cedar, I've just always had an excess of cedar around where I live so I can experiment as much as I want without running out.