Buy Used

Discussion in 'Financial Planning' started by John Snort, Jun 2, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    Or even get freebies. If you look at Craiglist there usually are people who are giving away stuff they don't need because they are moving away or decluttering. Getting some of that stuff can save you mone.

But getting back to the point, there are a lot of things which if they are gently used will be as good as anything you'd be buying new. And as they'll cost less, the money you save can be used to buy something else which you might need.

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    look at "Freecycle" here in the UK, lots of stuff given away for free.

3. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    We have a few places in my area called "Play it Again Sports" where people return gently used sporting and camping gear and either get cash for their items or they can use it for store credit. It's such a neat concept. Definitely check out the freebie websites in your area. There are also many "Garage sale" type pages on Facebook that can be helpful. Also, don't forget your local Goodwill or Salvation Army. You can usually find some pretty neat things there that will help you save money and bulk up your stash. :)

4. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    We bought our current car ( a great car) on Craigslist and saved mucho bucks! I don't think I would ever want a brand new car, it is absolutely like throwing tons of money away just for the new car smell which won't last long. I also got a large size room of like new carpet on Craigslist, for free! I went to pick it up and they had me haul all their scraps away too, a small price to pay for the new carpet, now installed in my new hobby room, which is where I do all my shipping for Ebay, Amazon, and Etsy, etc. Got a mower and weedeater off Craigslist too. I haven't yet been disappointed with Craigslist.

5. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    There are tons of freebies if you are willing to hunt for them online. Most people with freebies don't bother to post them online. Sites like Craiglist and Amazon have freebie sections and one just has to pay for shipping only. I was mulling on the possibility of initiating an online site dealing with barter trade instead of dealing with cash.

6. jonthai

jonthai New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I kind of agree with your post. The thing is, those products that we buy , might not be in a good condition , and there's no guarantee that they will work in further instances. We should cross a line between what is worth buying , and what is not.

Moroccanbeauty2266 likes this.
  7. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Here in Germany, people put out the stuff that they don't need in front of their house all piled up for it to get picked up (Sperrmuell=bulky waste).
    All of it is for free and you often find people looking through the stuff and taking something with them.
    You can often find furniture, lights, drawers, washing machines, chairs, tables, toys but all kinds of other stuff.
    I know in the USA you have garage sales and they cost something but are not expensive.
    Other than that I think craigslist is also a good idea.

8. GrecianShamrock

GrecianShamrock New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    If I saw something that was used but in like new condition, I would consider it. Depending on what the item is. I see things on Amazon, ebay or craigslist sometimes do that.

9. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    We buy some things used. For example, I've never owned a new car in my life, but always bought low mileage used and maintained/ran it until it was dead. I'd say, roughly, half of our firearms are used, while the other half are new. And there are plenty others. Thrift, done correctly, is most certainly a preparedness habit. :)

10. Vinaya

Vinaya Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    When someone gives me something that is no used to him but I can make use of it, I will keep it. When someone gives me something for free, which I don't need, I will never accept. When someone wants to sell his things to me, I will buy only when it is useful to me and is in good condition. Generally speaking, I don't by used electronic items because usually it has a short life. For example,I will never buy a phone that has been used by another person. The money spent on repairing can actually buy me a new phone.