Can You Make Your Own Weapon When In The Wild?

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by mwah, May 17, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

?

Do you think it is a must to know how to make your own tools or weapons?

1. Yes

76.9%
  2. No

15.4%
  3. Maybe

7.7%
  1. mwah

mwah New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    I know most of us would use a survival knife or any type of tool when going into the wild.But I was thinking, what would happen if we were forced to survive in the wild with no tools. Where you had no time to get your tools or you weren't even close to your house. In this case, does it mean that it is a must to know how to make your own tools or weapons?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    YES.

Keith H. likes this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think it is important to know naked in the wilderness skills, you never know when you may need them to survive.
    Keith.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    The hunting knife is the basic weapon introduced to the boy scouts. I would hear my brother telling stories about their scouting lessons on the proper use of the hunting knife. But when in the woods and there is no hunting knife or any other weapon, my recourse would be the stick or a cane. It's fortunate if there are trees because broken branches can serve the purpose. A stick can give ample protection against animals.

5. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    I have a Gerber survival knife in my car, a large folding knife in the console, a Buck pocket
    knife in my pocket.
    But I see your point.

upload_2017-6-4_8-56-18.png

6. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    Hoko knives are easy to make even a cave Man can do it

7. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
  8. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    The Native Americans were very well skilled at making weapons.
    After all it was a matter of survival.
    Now a bit of historical fact that may surprise many about Native Americans.
    Horses didn't exist until the Spanish brought them here so Indians hunted on foot.
    They were not fantastic archers either. Wild game was often driven into rivers where
    other Indians would club the beasts as they tried to gain footing on the other side.
    Native wild plants that were toxic to fish were used to poison the fish and grabbed up
    by Indians.
    There is nothing romantic, sporting, or fair, about surviving.
    When horses became available plains Indians drove bison herds to exhaustion and shot them with
    arrows then waited for the beast to bleed out.
    White man nearly exterminated the buffalo.
    Sure the hides were worth something but the goal was to KILL THE INDIANS.
    By starvation. Exterminate the buffalo, exterminate the Indian.
    White man can be very cruel.
    Were I a Native American I would hate me.
    Oh! Almost forgot. I'm part Blackfoot.:eek:

As an aside native Indians also attempted to exterminate other Indian tribes.
    Often.
    Inter tribal wars were quite common.
    Competition for resources perhaps?

9. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    Yes fish poison was used from leaving buckeye pods so they could eat them buy putting in net bags and soak in the rivers the poison come in out would go down stream and to the pools of slow moving water and it would paralyzed there gills and they would fit to the top also black walnut husk were used when they were using it to dye there buck skins

10. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
  11. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    The wood makes a pretty knife scales and a sling shot.

12. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:

I had no idea.
    Thanks.

13. m33kuh

m33kuh Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I sure can. When I was a kid together with my childhood buddies, we used to make hand slingshots and we would always carry it every night whenever we look for spiders in the woods. I have also made some wooden spears. It's not that much but at least you can rely on to something for survival just in case.

14. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    This might appear misleading but I have discovered that animals fear a weapon that produces sound and this acts as a deterrent against actual combat. To this end, most people would assume that a stick is more effective but I would place my bet on a leafy twig. The sound it makes when violently waved would cause the animal to take it as a serious weapon. I have tried this go the part with success. But have a heavy stick for back up, just in case.

15. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Its as simple as picing up a good piece of hardwood clud bat with a bit of work spear

16. eyinka

eyinka New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    To be very sincere, this hit me so bad! I can't think of what to do in the wild other than having my little knife with me. But then with this post, I thought again... What if I lose this knife? How would I survive?
    Time to visit Youtube once again :-D

17. m33kuh

m33kuh Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    There are some yes. But it depends on how big the animals you are talking about. Most wild dogs won't even get scared unless they feel the pain. Snakes also don't give a flying damn so you gotta have another back up weapon. Lol :D

18. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I guess it isn't a necessity to know how to make your own weapons but that knowledge makes your chances of survival a lot better. Knowledge is the tool that never wears out and one that you can give to others and still have it. I have basically an armory but still am always happy to learn a new trick when it comes to making a weapon...or most anything else actually.

If I was dropped butt naked in a forest I would in short order have a pointy stick and a club preferable one with a stone head. To do that I need to know how to find a rock that will make a crude blade and hand ax and then how to make cord to tie up the head on the club until I can kill something and get raw hide and tendons to make stronger ties. Generally the sticks on the ground are not very good. They fell off the tree because they were dead and rotted.

Give me time and I will build an entire kit of tools and weapons from whatever is available. But I guess you might make it without all of that. In the short term it really isn't as important and actually, at least in the US there are not really many critters out there that want to hurt humans. Even the bears will usually leave you alone if you take a few very basic precautions.

I'm old school and like to be at the top of the food chain and to do that I need tools and weapons because people got short changed in almost every area except two. We have thin skin, very little fur, short dull teeth, out nail s are almost useless as claws, we don't see well at night, we are slower than almost any predator or prey, we are weaker than any comparable sized predator or prey... BUT, We got a great brain and a thumb. The brain will let us make things that level the playing field against all other animals and the thumb lets us manipulate things in that making and using. Tool making is what elevated our species above all the other animals.

19. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    anything is possible.