Catching Salmon With Your Bare Hands.

Discussion in 'Primitive Fishing' started by Nycto_Hunter, May 23, 2017.

Catching Salmon With Your Bare Hands. 5 5 1votes
5/5, 1 vote

1. Nycto_Hunter

Nycto_Hunter New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I'm sure we've all seen a bear stand upstream, and catch jumping fish in its mouth right?. Why not do this ourselves, just not in our mouths of course. During the spawning seasons, fish such as salmon, like to leap up small streams in great numbers. When this happens, it would be simple to stand at the top of one of these short waterfalls and catch them ourselves, casting them to the side and catching another. A person could simply stand there and catch enough fish to feed themselves and there companions. These fish such as salmon and Herring come in great numbers and can be hand caught very effectively.

Good luck! And save some fish for me!

Nycto_King

Sambaby92 likes this.
  2. Sambaby92

Sambaby92 New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    This is awesome. I go fishing with my husband sometimes and he's always saying "I wish I could reel in five at once" I'm going to tell him about this

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I have seen some documentary of the salmon and other fish in hordes that it looked like you can catch them by your bare hands. But I wouldn't count on it. Fish are so slippery, maybe that is their nature as part of their defensive mechanism. There was a time when a flood inundated our place and there were lots of fish in the water. Since our living had water and there were some fishes, you can expect that we tried catching them. And with our bare hands, no can do, amigo. Maybe if we will use the shirt to serve as net then that would be easier. To continue my story, we were able to catch those fish inside our living room, of course, but we used a pail.

Koala likes this.
  4. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I agree with Corzhens. You made it sound way too simple, I wish it was, but it really isn't. I've tried catching fish with my bare hand several times. We often hike up to this small river stream and there are many fishes gathering. I thought, ''hey let's do this, can't be hard'' and tried catching them... boy was I wrong. Not only did I completely wet myself splashing around like an idiot but all the fish I've even touched got away before I could count to 3! They are extremely hard to hold in hand unless you have some previous experience and know exactly how to hold the fish.

5. JeffHart

JeffHart New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    The only time I have seen fish caught with bare hands, well, fists and wrists is called, "Noodling" here in the US. It is a skill mainly down south. These catfish hunters go in rivers and stick their hands in small caves or crevices between rocks. The catfish will eat their hand up to their wrist. Obviously, the catfish won't bite off their hand. Although, it can draw blood sometimes. It is a crazy sight to watch! The catfish hunters just pulls them up out of the water. This is how the locals eat for free and to survive.

6. DeeFree

DeeFree New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I don't think you would be able to catch salmon because we don't have the strength of bears who can easily hold and subdue a 50 pound fish. Also, since we don't have the long, sharp claws of the bear we can't spear a fish like they can. Bears aren't "catching" the salmons with their arms. This would make catching salmon very arduous for bears and impossible for humans. Not to say it's impossible to catch by hand, it's done all the time on YouTube, lol, it's just that catching salmon is not possible by humans nor bears.

7. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    There is a poaching technique called tickling which works on most types of trout. Less energetic than noodling for catfish but an acquired skill all the same. It is time consuming and involves lying(on your belly)on a riverbank and lulling a trout into a stupor by stroking it's underside before flipping it out of the river up onto the bank. (And onto the grill)

8. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    The native Americans used dip nets to catch salmon this way.

9. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Now they just use fish wheels.

10. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    109_w_full.jpg dipnetting_90815-4522.jpg

Ystranc likes this.
  11. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    Necessity is the mother of invention. Were this salmon migration to take place in some other parts of the world, not many would survive the journey upstream. But I digress. I didn't know salmon is such a big fish, 50 sounds my foot! Makes me reminisce on documentaries no wildebeast migration in East Africa as they cross rivers in droves past hungry sabre rattling crocodiles.