Cleaning utensils without water

Discussion in 'Cooking and Cooking Utensils' started by remnant, May 31, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I envision a situation of water scarcity in the wild or a desert situation where water would have better priorities than to wash utensils. The issue to check in this regard is to make sure that the utensils don't get to have their dirt to reach a stage of having their dirt start to rot by placing them in the sun to dry. Then scrape with a spoon to remove the dry dirt. There are some people who survive that way anyhow since the cooking process will put paid to any pathogens resident in the dirt. Any thoughts?

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    sand was always a good alternative when water is scarce.

3. Kev Brown

Kev Brown Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    You just have to use whatever is available. Sand, salt, earth, and leaves are all good options. Depending on where you are it may be necessary to use a combination of some of these.

4. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    You're going to think this is gross but urine is sterile and would be a fair alternative to water if you want to clean your utensils.

5. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't think most people would want to eat off them after that!:D:D

6. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Hahahaha I know! It's disgusting but effective.

7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'm sure it is, wouldn't bother me but I bet it grosses most people out:D

8. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I think I'd be ok with it, knowing the amount of bacteria that would be on the utensils without effective cleaning would gross me out more than knowing the utensils were clean enough to prevent illness even if it was urine that cleaned them!

Karen Martin likes this.
  9. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Clean as best as you can the stick into hot fire coals for a few seconds! not for plastic or aluminium but you should be using stainless steel eating irons anyway.

10. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    Is anyone here capable of eating with their hands? Why over think things? before babies had the dexterity to eat with utensils they ate with their hands. There are still many cultures and continents that still eat with their hands. It's not uncivilized, it's just the ways it's done. Get back to your roots people.

lonewolf likes this.
  11. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    That's actually a good idea, joshposh. Of course, many cultures to this day still eat with their hands and they survived it. I would eat with my hands as well if I were put in such a situation.

lonewolf likes this.
  12. jonthai

jonthai New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    AS
    Actually pee is drinkable and it's not that bad for you if you only drink it in low quantities. Besides sterilizing your utensils, it can have nutritious properties, from your own body, that allow you to hydrate yourself. It's not a bad idea at all.

13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    it might be drinkable but its not recommended. only for extreme events, and if its that extreme it is possible to eat without plates and cutlery.
    drinking pee dosent rehydrate you, in fact it does the opposite.

14. Karen Martin

Karen Martin New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    ello, Lisa: I agree with you, but how gross it may sound urine is one of the most effective cleaning remedies and a whole lot of people in the wilderness use it for different things like cleaning utensils, preventing bug bites and clearing acne or getting rid of a cold sore!

15. Karen Martin

Karen Martin New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    If I was living in the wilderness I would first take a first aid kit with me to use the alcohol pads in the kits or hand cleaning solutions or gels to clean the utensil and if all else fails I would use my very own urine! Urine has so many different cleaning solutions remedies in it and it even helps to prevent bug bites and cold sores and helps clear up acne! A cup of urine a day keeps the doctor away! As gross as that must sound, but it works; one of the old school surviving remedies!

16. cmoneyspinner

cmoneyspinner New Member
      0/25

Blog Posts:
    I was watching a documentary on our public TV station and did notice that the women were wiping the plates with dirt. They were in the desert. I was thinking I would use leaves from a tree. But of course, if I'm in the desert then … (o_O) (???)

So? Do you not think using leaves from a tree is a good way to clean dirty plates? I mean ... if you had a choice between leaves and dirt, wouldn't you opt for leaves?

17. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I agree with you. We do that when we are on the beach. Cooking on the shore is not easy and sometimes the one cooking is lazy to go to the water to wash the knife, what to do is to wipe it with sand. But it's not that easy because after the sand, you wipe the knife again with tissue paper or a clean rag.

When in the wilderness, my best bet is the leaves particularly the big fresh leaves. They are clean and good for cleaning utensils.