Cold war era foods

Discussion in 'Newbie Corner' started by Big "D", May 25, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Big "D"

Big "D" New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I have found some sealed cans dated in the 60's that are in very good condition, question is, Would the contents of a sealed metal can of "Cold War Era Survival Crackers National Biscuit Company" packaged in the 1960's still be edible?.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If they have been kept in a cool environment possibly they are still good. I believe emergency services replaces survival supplies in cyclone shelters every year. If it was me, I would be opening a can to find out, because there is no point relying on something that may have gone stale.
    Keith.

3. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Stale, discoloured is ok!
    May taste not so good but so long as you do the edibility testing they can be used in a stew to bulk things up!

4. Destiny

Destiny Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't eat them! Not because they wouldn't be good, they might. But, that's a $15-$50 can of crackers you got there, depending on condition.

We have a few of them, they're adorable memorabilia for people into that type of stuff.

5. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Heh, such a piece of story you got there. I bet is still edible as long as you found it stored inside a frozen cold place. Because that means It was barely touched by microorganisms (bacteria and molds) since few of them survive cold temperatures and molds require warm and humid conditions to thrive. Also It may lose flavor due to chemical decomposition.

6. Lakeisha Brown

Lakeisha Brown New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I would either sale it or open it up and test whether or not it is edible. No sense of just holding on to it.

7. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I am the cautious type and would not eat it. I am not one to risk a day or two of puking just to find out if it is still good. Although, your eyes and nose can go a long way in telling you if it is edible or not.

8. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I would not eat it just to be on the safe side. However, I do see why you would want to try it and if it is edible to eat it if you have nothing else to eat.
    I am also very fascinated about historical items that have their own unique story to tell. Surely, there are antique collectors who would enjoy to have that can as part of their collection.
    My husband is a collector and he has this old military bottle from the 15th or 16th century that you can put around your neck.
    Quite practical to have something like that with you if you are on a survival mode...

9. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    That's interesting and that's probably considered a collector's item if someone is into that kind of thing. But i really wouldn't eat them, I truly believe those canned goods are way past it's expiration date and will cause more harm than good if consumed.

10. Bonzer

Bonzer New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I would definitely not eat it. In fact, it may have gained antiquity status. Without ever opening it, I'd rather sell it or donate it to a museum displaying such stuff.