Cooking From Leftover Bread

Discussion in 'Cooking and Cooking Utensils' started by iamawriter, May 16, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. iamawriter

iamawriter Well-Known Member
      88/115

Blog Posts:
    Bead is one item that every household keeps a stock of. What stays in the fridge for days may not quite taste the same when it was fresh. This bread can be used for making tasty snacks. Here is one

- Break the bread into pieces and soak it just enough water
    - Chop onions, green chilli, coriander leaves
    -Separate the bread from water and add the chopped chilli and onions. Add salt to taste
    -Make balls and deep fry.
    -Whip curds (yoghurt) adding sugar.
    -Dip the fried bread balls in the curd mixture
    -Sprinkle with coriander and red chilli powder

A yummy snack dahiwada.jpg

Keith H. likes this.
  2. PriscillaKing

PriscillaKing Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    Easy Indian-style snack, and since the bread gets broken up and dipped it'd be easy to use with gluten-free bread.

iamawriter likes this.
  3. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    For leftover bread, the usual food we make from it is the traditional pudding. Mixing with one egg, a can of condensed milk, sugar and garnishing like raisins and cheese bits, it is easy to bake. Another way of making good use of leftover bread is to make bread pizza. All you will need is tomato paste, chesse of any kind (but cut in strips or bits), bell pepper for the pizza effect, meat of any kind like spam or bacon. You can also add some vegetables like cucumber slices or zucchini.

4. ToTang45

ToTang45 Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    Why are you putting your bread in the fridge? That makes it go stale a lot faster!
    No wonder you're looking for alternatives to ue lessthan fresh bread for.

My tip, freeze what you're not immediately using. That way you always have fresh bread, no waste.
    Also, NEVER put bread in the fridge.

iamawriter likes this.
  5. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    As you rightly said pudding is kind of traditional. We too make it often. I caramelise the vessel in which the stuff is put and I also add some sun dried apricots and the stuff that you have mentioned. I have not tried using it for pizza. Is the bread mixed with the stuffing?

6. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for your suggestion. Our freezer is always loaded. Anyway the dish that I have discussed here is something I like very much and so may as well use leftover bread than fresh one. Leftover bread is easy to turn into balls. We have a similar recipe using some other ingredients but using bread is simple as we do not have to grind the urad (black gram) dal which is one of the ingredient for the other recipe.

7. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    That sounds like an easy way to use leftover bread. I like to make bread pudding. This is one way to use leftover bread, milk and eggs as well. I made some recently and it was quite delicious. I thought it was a tasty way to use bread that I had leftover. It was one of the things that I could easy think of to use the bread.

iamawriter likes this.
  8. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    Making pudding from leftover bread is something we all do but I thought of a snack instead and realised this snack does taste great. I normally make it for breakfast when we do not eat sweet things in isolation.

Do you bake or steam your pudding. I prefer it steamed. I also caramelise the dish before putting in the stuff.

9. PriscillaKing

PriscillaKing Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    Slight staleness/dryness is a key ingredient in some recipes that use breadcrumbs; fresh, soft crumbs won't work! (If you have only fresh soft crumbs, half an hour in a very slow oven will boost them along the way to the texture these recipes require.)

10. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I bake it in the oven, but in kind of a steam bath similar to a custard. I have never really tried making a steamed pudding, but I am guessing it would be delicious. I know alot of plum puddings and so forth are steamed. I might try a steamed pudding just for fun sometime.

iamawriter likes this.
  11. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Works fine in our fridge, you sure you have turned your fridge on at the wall ?!
    Keith.

iamawriter likes this.
  12. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    Steaming is quite the thing in our household. We even steam left over food rather than heating it up again. Normally left over food dries up a bit and steaming moisturises it and gets back its freshness

13. overcast

overcast Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I think there are plenty of recipes that you can do with the bread. I have found that leftover bread can be used to make some of the dishes such as cheese sandwich. I have found out that some of the bread recipes can be also made with the vegetables salad. I have found that it can depend on what's available in the kitchen. I have found we can also use it like tacos.

14. ToTang45

ToTang45 Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    I do.
    When I met my Mrs. she used to fridge bread too. o.0

It's so weird to me, as when you put it against storing it simply on the kitchen counter ion an airtight environment the fridge will shorten it's shelf life - regardless of how it's stored in the fridge.

15. duke in wales

duke in wales Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Bread and Butter pudding with custard

French Toast

Bread crumbs

Croutons (cook and store in a jar, stay good for ages)

Fridges draw the moisture out of bread, even more so when you freeze it.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    Keith H. likes this.