Covering long distances on foot

Discussion in 'Survival Stories' started by remnant, Jun 10, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I remember a time when I fumbled into my pockets and found that I had no money. I panicked since I was quite a distance from home. I tried to solicit for trapport almost in vain. I resolved to take matters into my own hands by walking on foot though it was already getting dark. I was soon rescued by an old man who negotiated for my onward transportation. I had walked for a forbidding distance deep into the night. When I reached the nearest town to my home, I would have to walk alone at night.... Lessons learnt: do not change your walking pace; solicit for help only from older people; always carry a bottle of water; don't stop any car and mental toughness pays.

2. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    We had to hike deep into the mountains for one month, because of medical aid to be given to the rural communities. From the base camp, you would have to walk from only an hour to your target house, or six hours straight, to the farthest community in the area. Because they really need the medical assistance, we really had to go there everyday, going six hours to and from the place. The trek was okay, but you get a sense of dread that you may get lost anytime and never to be seen again. That's why we always have a veteran classmate with us, one who grew up in the mountains and had the sense of direction to keep us in check all the time.

3. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Why solicit the help only from older people? That you were helped by an old man doesn't mean that younger people have
    lesser disposition to help. Carry water is always a wise choice. Mental toughness may prevent you of freaking out to some point and keep your cool enough to walk safely.

jeager likes this.
  4. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    This is why you need to have a flashlight with you at all times. You never know when you'll be forced to walk somewhere in the dark. Supposing your car breaks down the person you were traveling with is hurt? You'd have to go out and seek help. Take your pocket survival knife with you because you may need it too.

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    we always calculate like this, a fit young person on a road or level hard surface will walk at about 4MPH, a fit but older person about 3MPH, off road on a level track about 2MPH, and off road, uphill, in the dark, in bad weather 1MPH(or less), for get about the Rambo's who say they can run with a full pack at 5MPH all day, if you do 20 miles you'll be lucky, more like 10-12miles.

6. QtheMyst

QtheMyst Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Why do you say don't vary your walking pace? I think taking rests as needed would be a good thing if you are covering long distances, especially as you are talking about an emergency situation? I could understand this for recreational hiking but I don't know about when you are stuck/stranded. I definitely think hydration is key in a situation like this, and there are some good tips here, just wondering on this pace thing? If I were stuck I'd be stopping to rest at least once an hour.

7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    if you don't want to be found, you'd probably need to hide/rest up during daylight hours.
    if not then take a rest maybe once an hour, trouble with stopping is its hard to get going again afterwards.

8. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    If I need to travel long distance by foot!
    I will be walking from sundown to first light with a 10min break every hour!
    I will be wearing a dark grey cloak over everything, I will be walking silent and smooth.
    I will be going as fast as I can maintain without huffing and puffing!
    Refering to my maps I will be harbouring up near first light, sleeping most of the day
    building a fire in the arvo to cook etc a covert fire that is.
    Then after eating and policing the camp moving at last light!
    I plan to travel via roads in the dark with the aid of night vision when needed.

9. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Good footware good socks gear packed so it carries comfy walk at slow steady pace wear clothing comfy to weather rest eat water as needed long trip of ten miles or more use wagon or wheelbarrle to move gear more comfy

10. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    The longest I have ever hiked for one stretch is 5 weeks. Up before dawn, hike all day, make camp and get ready for the next day. The most frightening thing I can remember is getting caught in a really bad thunderstorm. It was terrible and we walked a long distance in it. When we made it to a shelter, we were soaking wet and hungry. It was incredibly dark and still raining, thundering, lightening... We had rain gear on our packs, thankfully, so our gear was dry. We had to huddle for warmth. It was a long night?

11. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Maybe I can share my experience of hiking 28 kilometers once a year. It is a festival in the suburban town where we travel to by foot on the night of April 30 every year. The final destination is the Antipolo church. We were residing in the city of Mandaluyong at that time and from what I remember, I have joined that hiking more than 5 years. It was fun to walk because the street was full of hikers, old and young. The hike usually starts after dinner.

In walking long distances, I find it easier if I maintain a brisk pace, not so fast but now slow. Walking slow tends to make me tire easily but brisk walking seems to give me the energy. And it's encouraging whenever I would overtake other hikers. That hiking experience taught me the proper way of walking where the toes land first instead of the heel so as not to abuse the feet.

That annual hiking had stopped when we were able to buy a home of our own in the suburbs, coincidentally near that town of Antipolo.

Moroccanbeauty2266 likes this.
  12. Christavia

Christavia New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I have never walked more than 5 miles at a time but I was always prepared as it was during my workout! Long distances can be tough especially when unprepared. I remember once I went walking for just 3 miles and I did not bring any water and I felt so restless and dehydrated in the short period of time. I had to cut my journey short and head home for my water.

13. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Since we do not have a car, we often take the bus or tram instead. However, there are many times where I like walking long distances with foot.
    It has a relaxing effect and I have walked long distances many times before. Now if it is more than 2 hours that would be too much to walk now but after an apocalypse I might have to walk way more. Having the right equipment with me I should be okay. I just have to watch out where I take a rest and that nobody is following me....

14. Vinaya

Vinaya Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I have walked long distance on foot. I was in a new town and had to go to another town. Because of transportation strike, there were no vehicles on street. There was no option for me except walking. The town was 50 kilometer away, I began my journey in the early morning. I wanted all through morning but I was able to cover only 10 kilometers. After I had breakfast that I had carried, I continued walking. BY the lunch time I had walked just about 15 kilometers. I was lucky because in the after noon I found a police car and the officer gave me a lift.

15. willywonka

willywonka Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    For me I walk when it is cool! If you don't have to be somewhere by a certain time, it is nice to walk at night when it is cool or early morning when people are just waking up. Then you might be able to score a free ride on the bus by jumping in the back when everyone is rushing to get off. I have done that when I have no money to my name.

16. Jaydon A.

Jaydon A. New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Hmmm... that is a good scenario. Let me tell you about a time when I was hiking by myself from some desert about 4 miles southwest of The Hoover Dam. I planned to solo this trail both ways, but unbeknownst to me a flash flood was headed my way. About 1 and half miles into the hike, I noticed some clouds accumulating and that's when I knew something wasn't right. Before I knew it, it started pouring hail, but I didn't panic. I searched for a place to take shelter, a cave of sorts just off of my trail. I waded out the storm there and once it past I headed back to where I came.

17. neoKit

neoKit New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Walking for long distances while one is hungry and thirsty is not easy. It will be even more difficult if one is walking through the jungle. Looking for a water source will be the most important thing to do. This will ensure that a person avoids dehydration. You will then have to look for food, either wild fruits or borrow passers by. If possible, call home and request them to pick you up. Don't shy to ask for help if you meet anybody on your way.

18. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    that may be okay in the good times. post SHTF be wary of anyone and everyone you meet.

jeager likes this.
  19. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    also remember if you are travelling in a group, you will be travelling at the pace of the SLOWEST person, that could be a grandparent or a very young child.

20. Patrick Gilbert

Patrick Gilbert New Member
      4/25

Blog Posts:
    One time my truck broke down in the middle of no where and I had to walk 3 miles to a gas station. I was on a road trip because my friends and I like to go and exsplore so my friend stayed in the truck while I went to find help. I was sure if both going was a good idea so I asked him what he would rath do and being the lazy person he is. He said I'm good.

21. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    broke down or ran out of fuel?
    we have breakdown cover plus a fully charged phone +the number of the local garage.
    as far as fuel goes, no prepper will ever let his vehicle fuel level go below HALF.
    if your going long distances also consider carrying spare fuel in a proper container.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  22. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    The middle of nowhere is not three miles from a gas station!
    Damn at one stage my driveway was 265km long and the nearest gas station was 650km away!
    From homestead to gas station was just about a full tank for most vehicles and all vehicles carried at least 2x20L cans of extra fuel!
    And I went from one extreme to the other with no less than eight gas stations within a mile of my place where I am now!

23. Rere

Rere New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    If I need to travel long distance by foot!
    I will be walking from sundown to first light with a 10min break every hour!
    I will be wearing a dark grey cloak over everything, I will be walking silent and smooth.
    I will be going as fast as I can maintain without huffing and puffing!
    Refering to my maps I will be harbouring up near first light, sleeping most of the day
    building a fire in the arvo to cook etc a covert fire that is.
    Then after eating and policing the camp moving at last light!
    I plan to travel via roads in the dark with the aid of night vision when needed.

24. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    I live in N.E. Ohio and when a bit younger and not so crippled 5 of us would drive to the far north of
    Canada to hunt black bear and fish for pike.
    One "short cut" was 80 + miles of gravel road. It was owned by a timber company and signs said
    travel at your own risk.
    RISK it was.
    No telephone poles, no houses, no planes over head, not anything at all.
    Break down or run out of gas and you sit, and sit, and sit, 'till someone chances by.
    Don't drink the water you might find . It looks clean and clear but beavers poop in the water
    and you just might get "beaver fever" which can be fatal.
    From what I've been told you could just beg to die.
    Forget a cell phone. It won't work there either.
    Don't travel that road in anything but a 4 wd vehicle.
    Loose gravel, road might be washed out, pot holes, and bear and moose that just won't get out
    of the way.
    Leave the vehicle after dark and your wolf bait.
    An unarmed person that could be injured would likely be dinner.
    Canada. NO HANDGUNS allowed. Period.
    Not for any reason.
    We were all police officers and didn't take a handgun as the R.C.M.P. or Provincial Police would
    lock your arse up right now.

Don't speak French? Good luck.
    Locals learn both English and French but in the far north they speak French and won't speak
    English.
    Luckily I spoke French enough to order food...............and beer. :>)

Frankly the local Canadians HATED Americans with a passion.
    Only when spending American cash are we tolerated.

Depending upon where you are traveling afoot might be a terrible decision.
    NEVER after dark for sure and NEVER unarmed.

https://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/communicable/giardiasis/fact_sheet.htm

^^^ Beaver fever.