Dental Hygiene for Survivalists

Discussion in 'Herbalism - Medicinal, Practical, and other Uses' started by DecMikashimota, Jun 10, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. DecMikashimota

DecMikashimota New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    If you are practicing a sugar free vegetarian based diet then you will not need to worry about dental hygiene as much. If you are a sweet and meat freak like the rest of us, then there are various ways that you can maintain dental and oral health care. If you have any natural survivalist oral health care procedures, please share them with us.

2. Coputere

Coputere New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    It is pretty obvious to use anything that resembles more of a brush shape. In that case, birch tree twigs can be used to brush unwanted plaque off of your teeth and residue ff of your tongue. You can even use the paste of wood ashes as your toothpaste. The only problem is that it can agitate the gums if it is not rinsed thoroughly.

3. barbecueIt

barbecueIt New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    A twig of a guava tree that has been softened a little bit can be used as a toothbrush and the young leaves of the guava when chewed can be used as a toothpaste. There is no need to rinse after but the weird taste left by chewing the leaves may not be desirable.

4. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Some people claim that you can brush your teeth using charcoal as a toothpaste. You grind it until get a black sludge and then pick your toothbrush and brush your teeth with that. Not an entirely crazy idea since charcoal has antibacterial properties with binding all of them within the black sludge and also helps to whiten your teeth. The problem is that not every bacteria lingering in your mouth is harmful and you may need those for better digestion, and even more when you are in the wilderness. I personally would not recommend it

5. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I am in that first group. However, I do take care of my teeth and I have seen some natural creams made of cinnamon and mint. These are both very good for the health of the gums and therefore for the teeth. On the other hand, I saw a show on Discovery about some tribes and they brushed their teeth with ashes. It is bacteria free and germs free so they would just rub it in and their teeth would come white and clean.

6. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Well a favourite topic of mine!
    My ex was a fanatical twice a day brusher!
    I am a once a week type of guy!
    The ex now in her mid fifties has complete top and bottom falsies!
    While I who has not visited a dentist in just over thirty years still have my own teeth in my late fifties!

I can not see how abrading the enamel on ones teeth twice a day can be good for your teeth long term.
    Good for you mouth odour is about it!
    Short term gain for a long term loss!

7. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Ginger, celery, pink salt, water. Easy mouth wash, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, pink salt grains work as a deep scrubber + mineral source, natural numbing properties, taste rinses out easily and neutralizes breath. Add mint for scent. Can be done with dry ingredients but live is always better.

8. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    I love both meat and sugar. I have quite a bit of toothpaste in my survival kit, but naturally you would run out after awhile (I have 20 tubes in my at-home stock, and 5 in my mobile kit). However, I definitely think that the ash or charcoal pastes would work. It's amazing to me how ashes can actually clean something and I don't think teeth would be any different. You would definitely have to make sure that you rinse extremely well though for hygienic reasons and the taste must be awful, too.

9. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    ^ You don't need a paste to clean your teeth often if you are constantly replacing and replenishing the water in it and using a lightly active cleaning agent (like I listed.) My teeth stay very clean with that very recipe, I hardly ever use mint. I can brush dry with just a bit of the reside of that left in my mouth and it cleans just fine, you really just gotta understand whats going into your mouth. Now, floss...

10. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    A great text on the topic is Where There is No Dentist. It covers a lot of dental related topics that are helpful to the prepper. It can be bought in book form or found online in Adobe PDF form with a simple Google search. It is worth adding to your prep library.

11. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    Animal protein and fat is needed for proper brain function. In the natural world the only source of sugar is in the form of fructose. Fructose is found in fruits. But leave it to capitalism to purify and intensify fructose or sugar, to the levels of addiction. It is fructose that leads to tooth decay, not animal flesh.

12. DecMikashimota

8/23

Blog Posts:
    Understood, but we do not need meat for proper brain function. I am sorry fellow corpse eater, but studies have shown that eating meat increases the risk of alzheimer's disease and other brain diseases. Tumors including brain tumors will greatly reduce by going on a meatless diet. Even mad cow disease is a result of parasites inside of the meat that eat at neural pathways. Eating meat that might be undercooked will fill your brain with a latent parasite called Taxoplasma which will rewire your neurons in such a way that results in suicidal thoughts and even schizophrenia.

If this is what you are referring to then it is the other way around. We think better having no opposition to our thought process when we do not eat meat. Eating meat slows you down. Just look at how digestion slows down the body, it is way more work for the digestive system to break down meats than vegetables. It has to separate fats and proteins that we will only utilize a fraction of at the expense of exposing our bodies to serious brain disordering pathogens known to carry parasites.

That's why I am trying my best to get off of corpse eating. I just I know that after eating meat all my life, a couple of years of vegetarianism won't get rid of all of the parasites that are in my body. I will have to do consistent purging and flushing of my systems to get it all out. This will take years to accomplish which is my over all goal. I want to be in the best shape and health of my life by the time that I am 50.

I'm weening myself off meat so that when I am done, it is a permanent change and not something I will go back to. I've been doing my research and meat entering the body slows down everything, including brain activity. Everything works better off of eating carbon based plants because it is full of oxygen and we all know how well the brain responds to increased oxygen.
    I think I made my point, but carry on brother. Don't let me stop you, I just have been researching and reading the exact opposite

13. QtheMyst

QtheMyst Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    My dentist recently told me that flossing does a lot more to prevent tooth decay and gum disease than brushing does. It's pretty easy and takes up minimal space to stockpile dental floss, so I always keep that in my survival kit. I keep a toothbrush too, but in a pinch, if I can only do one or the other, I'd choose flossing. If no floss is available, using a leaf or twig as a toothpick can work. I've also heard that crunchy fruits and veggies like apples and celery help to naturally clean your teeth.

DecMikashimota and joshposh like this.
  14. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    The brain is made up primarily of fat. Not carrot or lettuce. For proper brain functions you need the proper building material. That is animal fat. If you look at through out the history of man. We were primarily hunters and gatherers. Out of the 200,000 years that we the current human form has existed, we only started farming a small percentage of that. We foraged and got most of our food supply from animal protein. We were built to consume animal flesh as our bodies are made that way. As far as using meat that isn't free ranged and processed, that is not the type of meat you are suppose to be eating. If you are from the states majority of the corn and soy is already GMO, and the likely hood of other GMO crops are most likely to happen. GMO crops are fed to livestock which leaves their meat GMO tainted. Proper meat consumption is that of free range and organic.

DecMikashimota likes this.
  15. DecMikashimota

8/23

Blog Posts:
    I understand what you are trying to say, but bananas, nuts and foods of that nature have the types of fats you're looking for. We humans are omnivorous genetically that is why we've had such problems digesting meat and being disease free since becoming consumers of meats way before GMOs. Man can break down plant life properly with no problem, we don't break down meats effectively like real carnivores. Here's the simple fact, we eat raw vegetation unlike real carnivores and successfully break vegetables down, unlike real carnivores. We always needed to cook our meats and still die from complications due to meat diets, while real carnivores can eat raw meat, digest it and kill off all pathogens inside the meat. I understand how you feel, I was the same way about 5 months ago, but now I can't argue with it anymore. Meats don't make sense to our genetics. We aren't natural predators or meat eaters. We've always needed technology to help us simulate being those things. You take all the technology away, and we are clawless, flat footed, flat teethed, herbivores.

16. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    I'm adding 3 toothbrushes to my survival kit. Toothbrushes last a long time. And you don't really need toothpaste. Swishing is good too. Especially after coffee! Drinking plenty of water. I guess I'll add some floss too.

17. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I have seen people chew on twigs or thin branches to clean their teeth. I have also know of immigrants using cold ash from the fireplace to clean their teeth. It acts as a mild abrasive and helps to keep teeth white I am told.

18. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    get your teeth regularly checked before the world goes to pot, we have a regular checkup every 6 months.
    stock up on toothbrushes -I've got a stock of toothbrushes I bought for 50p each-not your skinny little cheapo's but a decent brush, I have enough to last several years.

19. Rere

Rere New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    Ginger, celery, pink salt, water. Easy mouth wash, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, pink salt grains work as a deep scrubber + mineral source, natural numbing properties, taste rinses out easily and neutralizes breath. Add mint for scent. Can be done with dry ingredients but live is always better.

20. Scarlet

Scarlet Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    When I was a kid, I used to see my grandmother in the province brushing her teeth with rock salt because she said they used it before when toothpaste is not yet available. I saw her teeth are complete at an old age although it's yellowish in color. When I became a grown-up, I've learned that salt has antibacterial properties that is why doctors always advice us to gargle lukewarm water with salt when we have a sore throat if we don't have antibacterial mouthwash.