DIY Rabbit Coop

Discussion in 'Animal Husbandry' started by acheno84, May 24, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I have been looking for easy and quick designs for a basic rabbit coop. I only have one, and would like to give her a space that is large enough for her to stretch out. All of the large cages that I've seen are riduclously expensive and I know that although I have very basic saw and building skills, I could make it work. Has anyone else built their own rabbit coop that they could share pictures and material that they used? I have access to thousands of pallets on a regular basis, so getting that wood is the easy part. What should I use for the bottom if I want to keep the cage indoors?

2. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    I would highly suggest you keep them outdoors unless you want to constantly clean up after them. The ammonia alone is going to make you gasp for air. Their dung is actually good fertilizer as my elders around the neighborhood actually scooped them up everyday to spread around in their gardens. So having rabbits is great as it completes the circle. Rabbit eats vegetation and they dung fertilizes the vegetation to grow faster. They'll eat anything, so let them eat the weeds in the back yard.

Here's a bunch of google pics of coops you can build. I would be careful of building coops on the ground. Rabbit will dig their way out and under the cage fence. Maybe laying down wire mesh so that they can dig their way out and at the same time letting weeds and grass grow through the wire mesh.

https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=...UBL5QKHe1mBCEQ_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=rabbit+coop

acheno84 likes this.
  3. ally79

ally79 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Check out Jnull0 on YouTube.He built a rabbit hutch out of old wire closet shelving (you know like the white closet organizer shelves) and it turned out really, really well. We are thinking about doing something similar.

I missed the part about you wanting them indoors...not sure this would work for that. He kept containers underneath to catch the droppings and then used them as fertilizer.

acheno84 likes this.
  4. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Good tips for sure! I wish we could keep her outside, but my neighbors cats are scam artists and have broken into their cages and killed all of their critters. I just worry that if I leave the cage outside, they'll find a way to get in there and kill her. I've grown somewhat attached to her, so I'd hate for something to happen. Not to mention, we live in south Florida so it gets unbearably hot for a long haired bunny. I appreciate the help. I'll have to do some research and see what cages people have come up with. Her droppings have helped my plants out lately so I've been scooping her poo out every few days (apparently they're supposed to eat their own droppings?).