Do Anyone Have Experience Building A Biodigester?

Discussion in 'Other DIY' started by Zyphir, May 14, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Zyphir

Zyphir Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Saw a youtube video on Biodigesters and how it makes natural gas from food waste. I think it would come in handy in a off grid environment.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I agree, but I have never tried making one. A good idea, providing you have enough waste to feed it. All our waste goes to the chooks & the gardens, simply not enough for a biodigester.
    Keith.

3. Zyphir

Zyphir Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I seen that you can feed the biodigester waste from goats, sheeps and cows. Rinse water from rice and other foods and water from boiled pasta can help feed it being that the starches will be left in the water. Starch can break down into a nature sugar that can feed the bacteria that feeds the biodigester. It can also feed on grass. I figured between pruning, weeding and general landscape maintenance should be enough to keep it feed.

4. Zyphir

Zyphir Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Also the biodigester produces a slurry that can be diluted and used like worm tea on your garden.

5. Zyphir

Zyphir Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    How do I embed a youtube video?

6. DeeFree

DeeFree New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Select the FILM STRIP icon at the top of the box you type in to make your post. 5th icon from the right. Good luck, woul like to see the video!

Zyphir likes this.
  7. Zyphir

Zyphir Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
  8. Zyphir

Zyphir Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for that!

9. Zyphir

Zyphir Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
  10. Zyphir

Zyphir Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
  11. Zyphir

Zyphir Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I think anyone with livestock should have one.

12. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    I have done this with methane gas letting it fill up a inner tube but it's not safe the way I did it static electricity or a spark could make for a bad day

13. Zyphir

Zyphir Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Would you make it again? And how would you make it safer?

14. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    If I had to I would I used plastic 50 gal drums to cook the chicken manure in and the inner tube to hold and pressure ize the plastic being a static electricity magnet and the inner tube being able to melt a hole in it fast made me stop but I really want to know if I could do it

15. Zyphir

Zyphir Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Yea all the videos I saw used tubes but never knew it was a magnet for stat electricity. Any ideas on how to eliminate the stat electricity or have another means to store it?

16. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I did, a small scaled one using droppings of my rabbit. It works and i am producing good amount of gas with just a 5 gal of water container. Hoping to up scale it once i have started my pig farm business.

17. Zyphir

Zyphir Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    If you are going to make a pig farm you are going to need a big digestion system! Pig shit is high in methane gas. Good luck on your journey and post pictures of your build!

Neiltarquin likes this.
  18. Zyphir

Zyphir Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    About how much gas are you producing a day off of rabbit poo?

19. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Good question... I didn't get any data on that part. Its more of a test if i could build 1 rather than a data gathering experiment. My makeshift bunsen burner did light up fo a good 3 minutes i guess. So i can say thats good enough for me.

20. Zyphir

Zyphir Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Never seen a manual for it but there are alot of videos on youtube that explains it well.

21. Zyphir

Zyphir Member
      23/29

Blog Posts: