Do Psychological Disorders Make For Better Survivalist?

Discussion in 'Mental Preparedness' started by ZoeZoundBarrier, Jun 30, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. ZoeZoundBarrier

ZoeZoundBarrier Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    From the Gladiators of the Greek coliseums to the War Veterans of Vietnam, it is obvious that some of the most deranged people made up the lot of our survivors. Society may look down on people with psychological disorders now, but in an event, who will be mentally tougher than those of us that have already struggled through traumatic situations? It seems to me that we are only counted as sane by how well we coexist with society but when it all crashes, sanity will just be a word and those who do not mesh well with society may be some of the most successful survivors.

2. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Psychopaths are not so uncommon in our current society, you may have met one today while walking across the streets or driving to your workplace. That doesn't mean They will end up being a prospective Hannibal Ledger, Charles Manson or Albert Fish in a future though.

Anyway, Psychopaths might be the best people to have around in an urban crisis ( There's rioting in the streets, Food is scarce, Entire cities burn in conflict ), because of their inability to empathize and their shaky morals -- both frowned-upon traits in a happier world -- suddenly transform into advantages when said world goes post-apocalyptic, since they don't even flinch at gazing upon those horrors. But don't try to put the rebuilding of society in their "trusty" hands.

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    what dosent kill you, makes you stronger.

ZoeZoundBarrier likes this.
  4. AnnaBanana

AnnaBanana New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I would say that certain psychological disorders could be an asset during a survivalist situation. People with disorders like social anxiety or depression may be better accustomed to the feelings of having to survive alone, without the aid of society. Also, people who suffer from those conditions may experience some degree of relief when their circumstances are drastically changed. Disorders such as schizophrenia, however, I cannot imagine that being an aid to a survivalist situation. I would think that any type of psychotic episode or disorder couldn't be beneficial in any way.

sunnytn likes this.
  5. ProNine

ProNine Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    As @AnnaBanana mentioned above, people of some disorders might be at an advantage, the opposite is true though. Some people might sadly be used to the feeling of loneliness which rather than an asset, would be an easier transition for them into a new world order, rather than those who are very used to being around other people, who might begin to suffer from anxieties because of this. Another group of people who might be at an advantage are people with apathetic behavior. While I'm not saying that dismissing other people and their feelings is better at decision making, it simply makes it better for quick decision making that is for the benefit of the person in question alone.

6. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    As others have stated, some disorders might make a better survivalist. Others might greatly impede your chances of making it out of situations alive. A psycho will certainly fair better than a person with PTSD, for example. In the end, I think the overall landscape of the mind dictates how well a person will survive rather than a certain mental disorder. Like, I have anxiety and depression, but that doesn't stop me from overcoming daily hurdles and living life to the fullest. Another person with the same issues might just roll up in a ball and give up.

7. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Most everyone has a disorder of some sort, it may help it may not I have no interest in mental disorders unless they impact me or mine!
    If they will or do impact me or mine then I will sort it in the usual manner!

You will find if you look that nearly all PTSD is faith based!

8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    depends on the disorder I suppose, but if say, you had a disorder where you had to rely on someone else for all your meals, your bathing and dressing, or to accompany you every where you go, to make sure you didn't come to harm, then that wouldn't make a good survivalist, but if you had a disorder where you were alone for long periods and had to take care of yourself, then that would make a good survivalist.
    people who grew up in institutions wouldn't be able to fend for themselves because they would be used to following set protocols and wouldn't be able to adapt.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  9. cecejailer

cecejailer New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    There are hundreds of psychological disorders, most of them don't make you "rougher", but quite the opposite. Not all disorders have anything to do with trauma or losing sanity. I have Borderline Personality Disorder and I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be handy in a survival situation... It would only make me freak out even more. So, I guess it depends completely of what disorder you're talking about. I think any kind of disorder that has crisis/attacks wouldn't be good, but perhaps sociopaths might be better at dealing with loneliness/life or death situations.

sunnytn likes this.
  10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    not even so called "normal" people will be able to deal with loneliness or life and death situations if its outside what they normally know.

11. AnnaBanana

AnnaBanana New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    A person with a fragile psyche who can barely function under normal circumstances could truly suffer a breakdown in an extremely stressful survivalist situation. However, a person who has become accustomed to fear and stress may be better equipped to thrive in a similar situation. I think it probably depends on the severity of the disorder.

12. ZoeZoundBarrier

ZoeZoundBarrier Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Exactly. It might sound a little crazy, but nothing beats horrible experiences as a teacher. Life lessons and experiences are the only way that I have been able to gain confidence in some helpless situations.