Do you garden?

Discussion in 'Gardening, Plant Propegation, & Farming' started by FuZyOn, Jun 14, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    I have to admit that I'm not the most experienced when it comes to gardening and I tend to overlook it when I'm out and about surviving, I'm not the most patient person and I haven't done my research properly.
    From what I've read it's a pretty important thing for survivors.

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I was born and raised in a city apartment so you can guess that I have no gardening background. But I had married a gardener so I got a sort of orientation with gardening. But our garden is more of edibles and just a few ornamental plants for me. Even our trees are all fruit trees like mango, sugar apple, star fruit and cashew and banana. With the plants, they are more of vegetables and crops like cassava and corn.

Maybe I can plant vegetables on my own but I would need guidance from my husband since I am not well experienced yet. All I do is to watch how they plant and how they harvest. That's the most likable part of gardening for me - the harvesting of the produce. Today we had a good harvest of Indian mangoes that we gave away most and left us a few pieces. IMG_2437 indian mango tiklis.jpg

3. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Is 3acres a garden or a farm ?guess 6acres with strawberries and grape added into it. Then there is the fruit trees allso

4. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I love gardening. Ever since I was little I have had garden plots. Raising vegetables and herbs has been a long standing hobby of my family.
    Now that I'm on my own, in Japan, I'm still raising indoor edible plants and vegetables.

5. chelsknits

chelsknits New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I haven't started gardening yet but I'm planning on starting very soon. If you have a problem with patience (which I do too, so I completely understand!), you can always grow some crops that grow faster. I've heard radishes can grow in a matter of a couple weeks. Something like tomatoes or green beans are great to grow too, since once they get going they grow so fast that it feels very rewarding. I used to grow them and I was able to go into the garden every day and come out with tomatoes and green beans. It gave me the motivation I needed to keep caring for everything else that grew less fast.

6. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    Mr. Cluckeyo is an expert gardener. Though I am an official Master Gardener and he is not, he still knows lots more than me. And he has grown some beautiful gardens over the years! Some years are really fabulous, some years we are beaten before we ever get started. A lot depends on the weather and how the rainy season goes in the spring. If you ask him what you need to grow a great garden, he will tell you,"Lots of water and turkey sh@@"!

7. jonthai

jonthai New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Yes I do! I've been planting for about a year now and I love it!I usually plant mint, onions, and cherry tomatoes for cooking purposes and they seem to grow well even in adverse conditions.

8. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Oh, yes. I had lettuce and onions until we ate them and shared them with neighbors. I am still growing okra, bell peppers, green beans, blackberries, and corn. I am even toying with the idea of getting growing lights so I can grow all year round in my sunroom.

9. lucidcuber

lucidcuber New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I have grown radishes and tomatoes. I want to try potatoes soon, but an not exactly sure what the process is, because it's a little more different than other vegetables. Radishes and carrot are simply a case of dropping seeds into a pot and occasionally watering. Potatoes are a little more difficult because they are grown in the ground rather than in pots, and you have to be careful with spacing etc.

10. chelsknits

chelsknits New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I've been wanting to try growing lettuce myself. I heard of one kind that you can keep trimming the leaves off of and it'll continue to grow but I can't think of what it was.

11. chelsknits

chelsknits New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Do carrots grow well in pots? I would love to start growing them but I didn't think that a pot would be deep enough to grow them in.

12. amonda

amonda New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Gardening can be fun. In my personal experience, the easiest ground provision to grow are sweet potatoes. Within a month or so, you can expect to have two extra buds.

13. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    if someone dosent garden and dosent know how to grow food they aren't going to live very long past the initial SHTF event.

14. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I am not an experinced gardener either. But i can see that with every garden i learn and become better at it. I like the idea that i am not ingesting pesticides when i eat from the garden. I hope to have a small gatden this fall, too.

15. amelia88

amelia88 Well-Known Member
      75/99

Blog Posts:
    I do, yes. Right now we have tomatoes and cucumbers growing really well, and we have some herbs too (basil, rosemary, sage and cilantro).

I would ideally like to have more space to grow, but living in Japan right now my yard area is very small - but I'm doing the best I can with the space I have available. My ultimate goal is to have enough land to be basically self sufficient with fruits, vegetables and herbs.

16. iamawriter

iamawriter Well-Known Member
      88/115

Blog Posts:
    I am a passionate gardener. We shifted from the city to a semi rural setting just so that I can give vent to my passion. Our garden is now up with several fruit trees, plenty of perennial and seasonal flowers, a water fall, collage1.jpg a terrace garden and a birdbath.

This collage has pictures of fruits and other crops that grow in our garden

17. TravelDiva77

TravelDiva77 New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    Yes, you can grow carrots in pots. Just make sure you plan short carrots like Danvers 126.

18. Sino

Sino Member
      18/25

Blog Posts:
    Actually, no, I don't garden, but I always wanted to since I was very young but I unfortunately have not had the time to lately. I remember when I was a kid my mom would always take me out to her garden with her and I'd help with picking the vegetables.

19. scaruso3

scaruso3 New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I do not garden in particular, but I have family members who do. They love to grow their own produce without having to worry about if there are any chemicals or pesticides in them. Plus, it is economically cheaper because over time you will make your money back. My family members say the food they grow tastes better than store bought food.

20. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    yes. Click link.

Not all carrots are long ones. Many varieties, many are short. All taste good.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Grow-Carrots-in-Pots

21. Harrysung

Harrysung New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    Not again, but I used to. Gardening was the way I used to use to help reduces my parents market expenses. I grow the basic crops we use mostly in the kitchen, crops like tomatoes, vegetables, pepper, beans, okra and onions.

22. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    No, but my parents yes (and they love it!). They have a vegetable garden in front of our house that they care for. The vegetable garden is based on tomato, potato, corn, carrot and lettuce.

I particularly didn't understand anything about gardening, and today... The little that I know was thanks to my parents. I asked them to teach me so I could help them from time to time and as they don't usually complain about what I do, I believe that I'm doing a good job. :)

23. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Im into gardening. I enjoyed it alot. Plus it's so rewarding that you can actually eat your bounty. Bybthe way im more into vegetable gardening.

24. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    When I was growing up I was always involved in the planting of vegetables. Nowadays, I only maintain a small plot of flowers because where I am living there is a very small area available for planting anything so I just opt to do some flowers.