Do You Own A Garden?

Discussion in 'Gardening, Plant Propegation, & Farming' started by BethSztruhar, Jun 4, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. BethSztruhar

BethSztruhar Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Do you own a garden? If yes, what do you plant? Do you enjoy gardening?
    We have a HUGE garden where we plant tomato, radish, onions, strawberry, corn, cucumber, pepper, spinach, pumpkin and zucchini. We have 4 apple trees, 6 walnut trees and 3 plum tree.
    It requires a lot of work but it's cheaper and healthier to eat our own products. What's more, we can make a lot of jam out of the strawberry, and we make our own ketchup with our own tomatos.

TheRoaringLion and Keith H. like this.
  2. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    Yes, we garden on our rural acreage. We grow a lot of vegetables (e.g., lettuce, tomatoes, potatoes, et al.) at this time. There are also some herbs as well. I've started clearing another area on our land, so there will be more expansion on the way. We have a small greenhouse now, but it is really isn't enough space, so I will likely put in a larger one.

3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes we have our own gardens Beth, & we grow much the same types of vegies that you do.
    Keith.

danil54grl and BethSztruhar like this.
  4. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    We have a small garden because our property is the standard 280 square meters only. Aside from the fruit trees, we also plant edible plants for the kitchen like herbs and cooking ingredients. We don't buy ginger and garlic for we always have them together with lemon grass, real lemon, squash and other vegetables in season. But our garden is only for our own consumption although when there is more than enough harvest, we offer them to the neighbors. Now the mango tree is fruiting heavily and so many have tasted the harvest. Next harvest is the banana and the star fruit which has more than 50 fruits right now. It is fun to have a garden especially when the harvest is regular and of good quality.

danil54grl and BethSztruhar like this.
  5. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    I love to garden.
    Beans, cucumbers, potatoes, tomatoes, summer and winter squash, pumpkins, and more.
    Nothing like fresh from the garden produce.
    I even grew blue potatoes one year but the yield was small and they didn't taste that great. upload_2017-6-8_7-50-43.png

In case some doubt there are such things.

danil54grl likes this.
  6. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
  7. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I have a small garden at home. Now I'm working in the Middle East, I miss gardening.

I have this six small pots, 2 has tomato, 2 has egg plant and chillies were planted on the last two. I have sprouts but its almost a month now but my sprouts still has 2 leaves. Supposed to be , it should have atleast produced 2 more. I can't actually complain because im using dessert sand as my soil with egg shell as my fertilizer. Plus my garden is indoors. Actually it's inside my room.

danil54grl likes this.
  8. Scarlet

Scarlet Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    It was an inspiring story. We do have a small garden at home. Since it's small we can only plant some seeds. We have grown tomatoes, eggplant, corn, chili peppers, papaya to name a few.

danil54grl and Neiltarquin like this.
  9. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I don't have one, but my parents do (and they absolutely love it :D).

Particularly, I don't think I would have the patience / skill needed to, because the little that I learned was just to help my parents and considering they don't complain about my work, I think my efforts are being valid. I think it's really cool to be able to help them. :)

10. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Thanks

11. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Not really at this time. I only have a tomato plant. I have gardened in the past, but right now I am trying to move and have lots of things to do besides gardening. If I am still here in the Fall, which I likely will be, I will perhaps plant some leaf lettuce.

12. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I have gardens, orchards and a large glasshouse. This spring I also planted an additional 400 bare root trees around the place with a view to coppicing them in the next 15 years.

danil54grl likes this.
  13. Vinaya

Vinaya Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I live in a farm, I own few acres of farm land. I grow rice, corn, wheat, lentils in my farm. I also have a vegetable patch where I grow varieties of vegetables such as cauliflower, potato, tomato, cucumber, cabbage, brocoli, spinach etc. I also have a small orchard where I have varieties of fruits such as mango, banana, guava, pomogranate, lychee etc.

14. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have a garden, squash, peppers, citronella (we are eaten-up with mosquitoes quite literally), trying strawberries, tomatoes 4 the wifer, zucchini I love, ..., this and that. Fried squash a joy. As a boy, tasked to raise and harvest potatoes, forked too many / got yelled at, so now I avoid, too much trouble over K+ and starch, so buy Idaho. Talked just this week to a Russian about growing potatoes, dear Jesus too many redclay memories dancing a tiller over red clay and limestone rocks, spare me Lord. As a boy worked gardens belonging to myself & others. Had sainted great-uncle, God's Grace be upon him, had greenest of thumbs, peppers were his prayers, and grand lot that. Mensch he was, would that I could be the man; and other great-uncles too, men royal, souls nigh unto Gott, Sehr Schöne. Roy as in Royal, true the man, I would that I could be he.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    danil54grl likes this.
  15. Denis_P

Denis_P Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I used to live in New York City and could only dream of having a nice, big garden. It was literally one of my life goals. Then, life happened and I ended up moving into a rural farming community to live with my grandparents. It was a dream come true.

I now have a huge garden quite similar to yours. We grow onions, garlic, peas, squash, peppers, spinach, kale, chard, potatoes, tomatoes, strawberries, carrots, cucumbers and corn. We also have several berry bushes including raspberry, goose berry, and blackberry. Fruit is also abundant when the weather is good, as we have several apples trees, a cherry tree, two apricot trees, a pear tree, and a couple of fig trees. And to top it all off, while half the garden is used for vegetables the other half is a vineyard.

We grow many grapes which are both meant to be eaten and used in the making of our homemade wine.

danil54grl and Bluesky9 like this.
  16. DirtDiva

DirtDiva Master Survivalist
      285/345

Blog Posts:
    Yes we have an extensive garden. Asparagus, beans (red, butter, horticultural and green) onions, garlic, beets, cabbage, lettuce, mustard greens, turnips, green onions, potatoes, squash (winter and summer) okra, tomatoes, cucumbers, watermelon and cantaloupe, and zucchini.

We also grow fruit : peach, Native/choctaw (pruned to standard) sand plum (native), blackberry, grape, mulberry ( native), blueberry, strawberry, rhubarb, gooseberry, Nanking cherry, Service berry/June berry(native), 8 figs, black currants, elderberry(native), Highbush American cranberry (native viburnum), Pawpaw (native), Mayhaw (native), Cornelian cherry (native Dogwood). We also grow Catalpa for fishbait.

17. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    To be successful at gardening it likely will take experience in such endeavors . Just watching a you tube video or reading a book about it will most likely mean a failed garden attempt . Nothing will replace experience . In a S.H.T.F. situation . That is no time to be trying to learn . Having garden growing skills might mean survival or death . Just something the inexperienced gardener might want to think about .

18. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    "Do you own a garden?"

Do any of us?

Mother Nature is doing her level best to retake my garden and do whatever the heck She wants to do therein. Bugs think that they own my garden. Weeds are moving in with the attitude that they own the very dirt.

So, I can only say that I sort'a-kind'a own a small garden. I will say this, my squash and tomatoes have taken off like the space program -- and this year we weren't going to try to produce a whole lot of squash.

19. danil54grl

danil54grl Expert Member
      125/173

Blog Posts:
    I do garden as much as I can right now. This has been an extremely good year for some of my crops and others have just been so so. I plant a nice variety of both fruits and veggies to eat fresh and also store up for the rest of the year when it's not in season. This garden is just for us at home but when the kids stop by for a visit, they normally take some home with them too and I also give to my mom and her husband. I wish we had more fruit trees around here but the only thing left are lemon, pear, mayhaw, mulberry (but the birds get all of them before we get a chance) and some blackberry bushes.

TMT Tactical and DirtDiva like this.
  20. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    we do some home growing, mostly apples, squash and raspberries this year.

TMT Tactical and danil54grl like this.
  21. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Have a nice compact garden surrounded by an electric fence to keep the deer, black bears and rabbits out. Currently growing snow peas (about finished), lettuce mix, mustard, gourds, squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers (bell, chili and hot), basil, oregano, rosemary, garlic, corn, green beans and pumpkins. Also have apple trees. apricot, pear, peach, plum and Bing cherry trees. Have several blueberry bushes and hazel nut bushes. Just planted a black walnut tree, but I doubt I live long enough to get nuts from it.

Plan to put in a strawberry bed for the wife this fall, so she has fresh berries next year and if things work out, I'll get the new greenhouse built in the spring and start growing aquaponicly again next year. Plan on raising freshwater lobster but haven't decided on the second fish species yet. Always raise some Koi to sell also.

Dale

TMT Tactical, DirtDiva and danil54grl like this.
  22. danil54grl

danil54grl Expert Member
      125/173

Blog Posts:
    I started a small type strawberry bed during the early stages of this pandemic. Hunny surprised me one day a brought home 16 half dead strawberry plants on clearence. There were a couple I did not the think would make it, but to my surprise they are all doing good now. In fact putting off lots of shoots and trying to spread. I set up cinder blocks a d just planted in the hopes after filling them with garden compost. I have since expanded that adding in a couple purple bell peppers, 5 tomatoes I started from suckers in the garden and some herbs. Wanted a small type kitchen garden so all I had to do was walk out the backdoor when cooking dinner to just grab. My strawberries may eventually be taking over that new addition though.

1. DirtDiva
      Dani I have never had much luck planting strawberries with anything else. They always seem to over run a bed and smother out anything in their way. I have always had the best luck with just a designated bed for strawberries. Hubby wants to put a bed with a hinged lid on it with chicken wire because we fight the squirrels. He has started shooting them but the woods are full of them and it will always be a problem. They can wipe out a bed of strawberries, blueberries too.

DirtDiva, Jul 1, 2020
  23. danil54grl

danil54grl Expert Member
      125/173

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I kind of have a feeling by next year my hunny is going to be sitting on the back porch with his shotgun :p. I have planted strawberries in the main garden before with a dedicated bed but they didn't do so well there. Think it was mainly due to intense sun and drying out too quickly. So far they seem to be loving the backyard though. They tend to get at least some shade during the best of the day but I am still watering them twice a day. My poor squash in the garden are sun burnt right now. They look horrible yet still producing some. Tempe are lower 90s but heat index was 108 yesterday.

1. DirtDiva
      That is brutal. At 2000 ft above sea level we get a break from some of the worst of that heat. But the cooler temps also play havoc sometimes with our growing season. Right now we are fighting the rain. Past 6 inches in the last 5 days. Hard to stay ahead of the weeds with rain like that. Hubby bought an air rifle for the squirrels. He sits on the back deck early in the morning and lets them fly. We have 4 hickory trees right around our deck. Boy do the squirrels love them.

DirtDiva, Jul 1, 2020
  24. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    This is what I'm building for mine.

8e0fb9cb573f17fd308fdd995456d74d.jpg

Keep them pruned well and fertilized with composted chicken manure and berries galore. This is also easy to hang a net over.

Dale

1. Ystranc
      I really like that design:)

Ystranc, Apr 24, 2021
  25. DirtDiva

DirtDiva Master Survivalist
      285/345

Blog Posts:
    Love the design but the net is the problem. Had net over blueberries and squirrels can chew through. We are working on it though. Lots of fried squirrels and gravy with biscuits and squirrel pie.

TMT Tactical, Dalewick and danil54grl like this.
    1. Dalewick
      I have a solar charged electric fence around my entire garden area. If not, I would only feed the wildlife. LOL! My fence starts at 4" off the ground, 12" off the ground and then at every 12". It keeps the rabbits and squirrels out. Just not the chipmunks. If they become a problem I use a minnow trap with corn and remove them. In the spring to get the wildlife used to avoiding the fence, I fold 1" strips of aluminum over the wires and hanging about 3" down and drip peanut oil on them. Everything loves peanut oil and when it takes a lick....LOL! Deer are the funniest to watch. Inside...out and gone.

Dalewick, Jul 1, 2020
      TMT Tactical, danil54grl and DirtDiva like this.
  26. danil54grl

danil54grl Expert Member
      125/173

Blog Posts:
    Being raised will help out on your back too. I do like the design. Looks real nice Dale.

TMT Tactical, Dalewick and DirtDiva like this.
  27. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have no morals, I am going to steal the design. What size lumber for the stolen design :D

DirtDiva and lonewolf like this.
    1. Dalewick
      The base used rough cut 2 x 10 hemlock and everything else is rough cut 2 x 6 hemlock. Cedar, redwood or black locust would also be great. The base is 5' X 5' and you can go from there. I'm actually thinking about using 2" X !0" for all levels of mine so I don't have to bend over as much to harvest and work the bed. Getting old I guess.

Dalewick, Jul 2, 2020
  28. Popinjay

Popinjay New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    I just started building mine, I should be able to start planting next week.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  29. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    The bottom part of my garden is currently a jungle as the beans and pumpkins are growing WILD! I've harvested about 40 pounds of tomato's now and should pick today (too tired today) and that is from 8 plants. Made 20 pints of pickles so far and have about 15 pounds of cucumbers sitting in the kitchen from our 4 plants. Harvesting beans now and have 6 pie pumpkins almost ready to harvest. Harvested garlic, cabbage, lettuce, basil, oregano and Thailand red hot peppers and red peppers already.

Is it fall yet?

A raccoon figured out how to get over the electric fence and trashed all of our corn. Coon on the menu soon!

Dale

DirtDiva, Rebecca and TMT Tactical like this.
  30. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    My garden is now petering-out. Gathered some tomatoes today. We didn't plant many peppers this year; have plenty stored. The weather has been unfriendly.

TMT Tactical, Dalewick and Rebecca like this.
  31. Rebecca

Rebecca Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    I am also near the end of the garden for the year. Still quite a few green tomatoes I may have to just pick anyway. And a whole bunch more potatoes to dig out tomorrow. After that it will just be the fall lettuce and spinach left, and the herbs are still going strong. In October I will plant next years garlic.

TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  32. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    "In an octopuses' garden... ♫♪♫♪♫♪"

Yeah, I have a garden. Lots of tomatoes, too. I've been putting them on my sandwiches. And I have cucumbers which I have been adding to my packaged salad to spruce it up a bit.

33. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:

Very hot here for what seems like an epoch. Now today it's 68 as I write this at 14:00 hrs. So during this week and the next I guess we have a cool down. I just want it to rain. Got fires going on because it's so filthy dry. I think that if there's a god of the Mojave Desert it may be jealous of our weather god.

Tidbit of the day:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mojave_Desert

Been through that life sucker many times.

12b5093156f69d319f1b19385f168ec3.gif

TMT Tactical likes this.
  34. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    If the communist Chinese biological warfare attack on America had any positive effect, it has been that several millions of vegetable gardeners have been added to the tens of millions of home gardeners already growing their own food.

I found these articles at work today while doing a desk lunch:

https://www.gardencentermag.com/article/scotts-miracle-gro-shares-gardening-statistics-covid-19/

https://www.fayobserver.com/story/o...ard-gardening-part-greener-future/4851812001/

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/article242572456.html

Rebecca and TMT Tactical like this.
  35. wally

wally Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    i can't remember if i have said it before here but we can't have a garden. i tried 2 years in a row and people going through our yard destroy it(kids or adults)never could catch them doing it though...so i stopped trying although i always get a seed vault now and then for when TSHTF and i can deal with "predators" on my own....

TMT Tactical likes this.
  36. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Razor wire works. Sure slows people down. Then you can shoot them.

"Shredded then leaded."

Remember, these stupid evil children grow up to be no more than the cud-chewing cow out of which they fell.

Some old ideas:

upload_2021-4-24_1-36-40.png
    upload_2021-4-24_1-38-49.png

TMT Tactical likes this.
  37. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I actually set up a some similar Viet Nam style traps for some kids . No mine were not made to harm though one boy caught a weighted sack that he triggered the trip wire on , that swung out of a tree and caught him in the stomach . This was all done in good fun as the boys " numbering about ten " knew the trail they were sent down was bobby trapped . ---- This has nothing to do with gardening , but another survival game I have played with kids is to give them a head start then trail them down with a hound on a leash .

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  38. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    On the gardening , mine was looking good for this year until a late freeze came . A lot of my stuff that I had brought up from heirloom seeds got killed . The chicory that I planted for teotwawki handled the freeze quite well and is still looking good .

39. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    My apple trees got hammered. Not sure if any blossoms will make it due to the freeze. 2 days of freezing temps, blowing snow and sleet (2 inches in 30 minutes the first day) sure didn't help any. Looks like the plants I am starting under my low tunnels have made it...so far. I have red and hot peppers, watermelon and sunflowers started. Moving everything to different beds this year. Trying to get rid of powdery mildew. It's in the soil and comes back every year. Tried sulfur, milk, copper and anti-fungal's all with no joy.

Anyone know of a way to permanently get rid of it.

Dale

My blueberry bushes are full of bloom and still looking good.

TMT Tactical, wally and poltiregist like this.
    1. Old Geezer
      > My bet is that the apple trees won't be hit too hard.
      > "Blueberry bushes" -- OK, so now I'm way envious (are you at altitude?)
      > I've been afraid to start any garden. We've had two freeze alerts. And, my health is such that I feel god-awful terrible.
      > Powdery mildew: Never had to deal with this, nor have I ever heard anything about it. Just like you, I would have to look it up on the web. dang :(:(:(

Old Geezer, Apr 24, 2021
      TMT Tactical, wally and Dalewick like this.
  40. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    OG, Yea, I'm at 2500 feet elevation and live on top of the mountain. I live on the edge of what was just made the newest National Park. New River Gorge National Park and Preserve in the heart of West Virginia.

I'm hoping your right on the apple trees. We still have plenty of apple butter and frozen apples but a good harvest would be great for a "bit" of apple shine.

Dale

1. Old Geezer
      Excellent

Old Geezer, Apr 24, 2021
      Dalewick and TMT Tactical like this.
  41. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    Yes i do have a garden, so far i have planted garlic, and green onions, as thing warm up i will plant , potatoes, beans, squash, zucchini, tomatoes, It is a very warm spring this year , the ice went out of the lake three weeks early, never seen that before and i have been there 47 years.
    Mosquitoes are now starting , normally they come out may 24 weekend not April 26, way to early . And some say they is no such thing as global warming