Do You Usually Buy Second Hand Items?

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by WildSpirit, Jun 5, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Q7WEvJBz7DlViOSGR3ieArD3QP2p16CF.jpeg

Saving money is one of the most constant battles for those who are not rich, right? We are always looking to balance (which is not always easy to achieve) our bills in order to be able to pay them all at the end of the every month. Then, when necessary, buying second hand items can be a very common activity - even if it is against our will sometimes - for millions of people around the world.

Would you be one of those people?

I particularly don't like to buy anything second hand. I prefer to save the money and buy everything new (unless it's an urgent situation).

Keith H. likes this.
  2. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    I will if I know the item, what it's worth and if I can tell the item is in good working order.
    Electronics I would avoid unless it can be plugged in and demonstrates its o.k.
    Same with optics.
    Guns I know very, very, well and most of mine are bought used. Most from ads in the paper
    or at gun shows.
    Same with cutting implements. Knives, hatchets, hawks, etc.
    Used air guns? NEVER.
    Used cookware yes.

Keith H. likes this.
  3. Mr Boots

Mr Boots Expert Member
      188/230

Blog Posts:
    For me it depends I find a lot of old hand tools are not just cheaper (some not as cheap as you would think) but made of better materials like wooden handles instead plastic and a much higher grade metal. And I find a lot of tools I am looking for they just don't make them anymore or poor remakes
    If I do find a new one that meets the standard I am looking sure I would pick it up it just does not happen as often

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I am absolutely one of those people, why purchase inferior new items when you can purchase good quality items second hand at a greatly reduced price? Have you not heard the saying "they don't make it like that anymore"? Quality linen,wool blankets & leather clothing can be found in op-shops & they are great for making your onw clothing & equipment. Axes, carbon steel butcher knives & other tools that are no longer produced in the same quality/size/weight can also be purchased second hand from op-shops & second hand stores. Some of these items are 200-300 years old & still going strong. I will purchase a good second hand item over a modern made item every time when possible.
    Keith.

WildSpirit and Mr Boots like this.
  5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Truth be told, if you want quality, you'll be buying used equipment / tools. One must know where to search and have what you need to test the item when taking a look at it. When budgeting for a piece of equipment, set aside not only the purchase price, but also what it will take to restore it. You ARE going to be eating some repair costs and repair time on your part.

For instance, let's use a weapon as an example: Do you have a trusted gunsmith? I've polished chambers and free-floated barrels, however I do not keep no-go gauges, can't re-heat-treat receivers, and I have no milling equipment. A friend of mine did and did all manner of metallurgic stuff for me that was waaaaay beyond my skill set. Now understand that this super-skilled friend of mine would take his needs to the professionals when he was in over his head; he'd do a Rockwell hardness test on a receiver and if it came up short, he'd send it off for re-heat-treating (there's a better hardness scale for rifle receivers than Rockwell, but I can't think of the name). Moral of this story: A deal isn't a deal unless the item can be put right and if something involves safety (like getting a piece of metal blown back into your head) you'd really better know what you are doing, or be willing to pay someone who does!

Finally, if you are unfamiliar with the repair and maintenance of a certain category of equipment you need, then consider buying new and with warranty.

6. Eva.Ling

Eva.Ling New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    It depends on what sort of products. If I'm looking to try something out, I wouldn't mind buying second hand or cheaper just to see how it works.

7. Harrysung

Harrysung New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    I like to buy second hand if the product, especially electronics, is still fully functional, it helps to save money.

8. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I often buy second hand items or refurbished items. This is especially when it comes to electronics. I read somewhere one time that electronics many times are better to buy refurbished, because they have individual inspection unlike many other refurbished items.

9. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    You have some good arguments for buying second hand items. :cool:

I'm still starting to enter this world. Until today, I have just few experiences with this type of product because I still don't feel safe enough / so confident about spending money on them. I still prefer the new ones, but I'm open to new possibilities without any problem. :D

10. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Nop I don't like second hand items, I love brand new things! I like to use things for the first time and feel that yeah This is my new Phone and Not The one I have to repair or just after using it few days it will start have problems Uuh That doesn't feel wise for me :') I prefer to add some little more money and buy new item :) which has guarantee.

11. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    I guess this topic could be a "survival" tip????????????????????????????????????????

12. BethSztruhar

BethSztruhar Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I usually do this and I've never been disappointed. It's important to go there and take a look at it. Lot of people fail at the part where they buy a second-hand products online, without actually seeing it. The last thing we bought like this is a fridge. Buying a shiny new fridge like this would cost me a lot, but buying it from someone else made a huge difference. They needed place in their kitchen, I needed a fridge. Easy. What's more, if I don't need something, I usually put it online so someone can buy it for just a little money. I think it's a good thing, especially for "us", who don't want to waste our money, but save it.

13. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have bought lots of second hand stuff either on Ebay or in person at open air markets, in fact going to open air events and buying old items is my main hobby.

coffee likes this.
  14. Brizo

Brizo New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    YES! I buy a lot of second hand items. I love to shop at thrift stores and yard sales.

coffee likes this.
  15. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Me too! Glad your here.:D

16. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    In the past? You bet! Now? Less so. Not because we have more funds to work with, though we do, the economics just don't work out to buying used for many items now. That said, there are items that were quality built in yesteryear, but are now more or less crap, so we stick with the older items. Long story short, whatever works, for the least amount of cash outlay.

17. Nela Civobeg

Nela Civobeg Member
      18/25

Blog Posts:
    I would agree with you about electronics. When it comes to those, your best bet is always buying them new. Not necessarily, but you could buy something that looks good, works good to have it die out in 2 months.

As for general shopping, such as clothes, I personally don't care much about it. If something looks nice & it isn't expensive, sure, why not. No shame there.

As for the guns, no need. We don't have those around :)

18. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    It depends on the item. If it's a cabinet, a fridge, a table; sure. If it's something you use personally like blankets or pillows, then I'd rather buy something new for myself. I don't think I will be able to sleep at night with the idea that some person probably drooled on the pillow I'm leaning my head against. I don't know, it's just a slight germophobe habit I have. Depending on the quality, there's always lots of stuff you can get for free or at least bargain priced, and you can always use it for a temporary basis if funds are tight.

19. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Depends what it is, I like to buy my toilet paper new ;) but if I can find whatever else I want in good condition then I will certainly buy second hand. I often find that old knives, hand tools and axe heads are made from better steel, certainly they're more aesthetically pleasing. Storage barrels and cubes are a great second hand buy. My pallet rack for storage was second hand. The list goes on. I also network with most of the second hand arms dealers in Wales and the West Midlands.

20. m33kuh

m33kuh Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    It depends. If I am able to test the item out then yes. As long as the item is in good shape and not been abused, I'd definitely buy it. But you have to also keep in mind that if you buy it, be very careful in using it. Although it's subjective. Try to buy a second hand item with warranty if possible.

21. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I bought a freezer for £2 just to use it as a feed bin but the damn thing works just fine.

22. Deathisue

Deathisue New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    In some cases its neccesary, sometimes went the money is no enough and just there is not other way, is useful the most of the time, if your good searching you can find items in a good shape with only a few scratches or without any obvious flaw.

23. Vinaya

Vinaya Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I have bought second hand books, furniture (sofa, bed, table, cupboard etc.) and electronic items (mobile handset, TV etc.). Buying second hand saves you a lot of money. However, you should be extra careful while buying second hand items. You should always check the condition (there is no point in buyin a bed that has a broken leg). You should also compare the price with the similar item (there is no point in paying $50 for a second hand set if you can buy a new one for $75).

24. Rhodolite

Rhodolite New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I buy second hand all the time but it's usually of high quality items. Things that can last a lifetime or even generations depending on the brand. No use balking at the fact that it's been used if it's freaking amazing. I have leather jackets and clothing that are worth hundreds dollars per item that I bought for as stupidly cheap as $20 (because people are bum frigging stupid) and literally last a lifetime. I don't follow fashion trends whatsoever and generally stick with clothing that are classical- meaning they're fashionable enough to pass for years and years due to their cuts and styling. A ton of my high end work boots are second hand as well. Just replace the soles every couple years depending how much wear and tear you do to them and clean/condition the leather every few months. Furniture's the same way. I purchase wood only, none of that particle board garbage. Got a nice dining set for $30 bucks cause some idiot had no idea that it was legit Amish made, gorgeous oak and antique to boot, just wanted to clear out dead grandma's stuff ASAP. Electronics I typically purchase new so I can use the ever living crud out of them for a few years before having to replace it.

25. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I often buy second-hand items. I mean, why not? the item can be in a perfect working condition. Just because it had a previous owner it doesn't necessarily mean that it's not good anymore. I have bought things like: clothes, furniture, items for my pets, bicycle, car and more. The only thing that I am a bit hesitant about buying second-hand is the electronics. For example; I wouldn't buy a used computer. I just don't know what the previous owner did on it and if he perhaps tinkered it so it'll be working for a couple of days then break down. Other than that, I am all for buying used things!

26. Denis_P

Denis_P Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    If something is still of respectable quality and condition, I don't mind buying second hand items. This applies particularly to clothing, considering it's easy to judge the quality of an item and assume how much longer it is going to last you. On the other hand, stuff like electronics and other equipment is a little more questionable. Often times you can't be too sure when it comes to the condition of used equipment, so sometimes it's better to simply wait until you have the money and buy something that is guaranteed to last long enough that you get your money's worth out of it.

27. Jameson

Jameson New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I personally don't like to buy second hand items.If I happen to buy anything second hand,it just never feels right than when you buy a brand new item.

28. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    For me, it all depends in the item. Especially if I know what it is, & if I can maintain it. I buy used cars all the time. I know what they are worth broken & in good working order, how to fix & sell.at a profit.

29. Ken S LaTrans

Ken S LaTrans Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    One of my favorite things to do is scour flea markets and swap meets for used items. Some of my favorite things to find and buy are cast iron cookware, old hand tools, and just about anything from the turn of the century such as coffee grinders, meat grinders, and other home tools.

Another favorite is buying used guns. Since Smith & Wesson stopped making their beautiful Model 19, 24, 25, 27, 28, 29 without that stupid lock...only second hand revolvers are available. I look for them, regardless of their condition and bring them back to life. It is the same with 1911s and Browning Hi Powers. I was an armorer with my agency for years and building, restoring, and customizing combat handguns and rifles is my passion along with competition shooting.

My wife is a trauma surgeon and I was a police officer. By any standards I made a decent living, and my wife makes an extraordinary living. It is not out of financial need that I buy second hand, or look for bargains...it is because I enjoy it and enjoy bringing things from the past back to life.

There are some things I would never consider buying second hand...like condoms, fire extinguishers, computers, or the like.

Spending retail dollars when you can spend wholesale dollars seems to be lacking in common "cents".

30. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    our weekends are spent buying stuff at what we call car boot sales but you would call flea markets, I've had some good stuff over the years, next one is on Saturday.

31. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    Yes, i buy 2nd hand stuff, i love garage sales, yard sale, flea markets, kijiji . if you have a good eye you can save a fortune. also for us survivalists. you can buy stuff that is no longer manufactured such as 18th century items that we will need .

32. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm with Ken S LaTrans and other members here. I will buy second hand stuff at yard sales and flea markets.

For I know quite well that you an buy junk at first hand stores...plenty of it there.

I have found myself over the years able to keep my lawnmowers running years and years after many people have bought two or three lawnmowers. You just have to know to change the filters..oil ...and generally keep it clean.

I have salvaged several lawn mowers off the scrap heaps in front of peoples homes and for parts...to keep mine running.

Been through several sets of wheels in this manner.

I have found it interesting to note how many people do no maintenance or up keep on their yard equipment and just go out and get a new one.

Tools...I have worked with enough tools over the years to know a good quality tool...even used.

I am not beyond buying used tools if I recognize quality in it.

Picked up a used 0-1 inch dial indictor and magnetic base in this manner. A 1-2 inch outside micrometer too.

I use the dial indicator mostly for doing run outs on more accurate reloads in 30.06, .308 and .223. Also occasionally for my 7.7mm Arisaka rounds.

I now have a 0-1 inch and also the 1-2 inch outside micrometers in my tool inventory.

Precision tools are stored separately from most of my other tools

Note...I do not buy used torque wrenches. Those I prefer to pay for new.

I do not like a lot of new stuff..for home and or use in the garage.and or yard.

Too much of it is plastic today.

IN this aspect...plastic...I agree with many of the other posters here.

Just my .02,

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

33. Ken S LaTrans

48/58

Blog Posts:
    Here is an example of reviving a second hand purchase. I call it the Junkyard Dog. I bought it second or third hand for $200. I put $100 in parts in it. I did a complete rebuild in my shop. CeraKoted it and I shot it for a whole summer in USPSA and IDPA. I still have it in my safe. This is why I love second hand purchases.
    JYD Collage.png

Mr Boots likes this.
  34. Ken S LaTrans

48/58

Blog Posts:
    Here is another one I bought. It was literally a bag of parts.
    Champ 01.jpg Champ 02.jpg Champ 1.jpg

Mr Boots likes this.
  35. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have bought used scooters and mopeds over the years and have been taught to maintain them by olde timers who came before me. I verily appreciate what they have taught and passed on to me....even some knowledge which is not in most books...on how to get things done.

I use these scooters and mopeds for short trips about town...and often to go to and fro work.

And I have a truck, a van and a car....but often prefer to take these scooters/mopeds.

Riding two wheels can get in ones blood so to speak..even on a scooter.

But I an keep them running and also have purchased the manuals for them to assist in keeping them running...in particular the parts breakdown..comes in handy.

Most of my vehicles/cars and trucks are second hand and have kept them running too.

I have little use for a new vehicle. I'd rather spend my monies on something else....flea markets and yard sales.

Or at the gun club...or just not spend it...and certainly not pay someone else to do what I could do or learn myself.

It is my way.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris