Do you wish you were a pirate?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by FuZyOn, Jun 5, 2016.

Do you wish you were a pirate? 5 5 1votes
5/5, 1 vote

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    I surely can't be the only one that wanted to live in a century where pirates dominated the sea and were feared by everyone, I love the idea of surviving on a boat for a very long time, looting chests of treasure on forgotten islands, all the sea stories involving monsters, magic or surreal stuff, navigating a ship and even the battles between the pirates.
    I Wish I was born in those times.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Sometimes I wish I was born back in those times, where live was far more exciting and dangerous. I think survival was a thought that dominated human actions, thus creating a high-stake lifestyle that was very much live fast and die young.
    But, at the same time, the pirate life is not all it's cracked up to be. We only see and read romanticized versions of life on the high seas. The truth is that these ships were filthy. Pirates had scurvy and lice and skin cancer so deep it ate them alive.
    Sometimes you'd get lost for months out at sea, especially if there was no wind. People would turn mutinous, deranged, and the only thing that ever made it back to port was a ghost ship full of carcasses.

Pirate life: It's all fun and games until you have to swab the poop deck and clean out bilge rats.
    I'd rather be a Western cowgirl like Calamity Jane :)

3. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    The idea of spending my life on a boat scares the living hell out of me. I am pretty scared of the ocean as it is. I will swim in the shallow ends of the ocean, but I very rarely get onto a boat. Ever since I was a child, being on a boat has made me uneasy. The idea of the boat sinking is what makes me nervous. I would love to be a fearless pirate, but with my personality, things would not go over well. I imagine they would make me walk the plank due to being such a cowardly pirate.

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Wish no more FuZyOn, 18th century Living History CAN actually take you back in time. There are Living History groups worldwide, except perhaps in places like Korea & China. There are many Living History Pirate groups. I will include some links for you here. Actually I am told that some pirates intend to attend our Annual Winter Solstice Masquerade Party this year :) DO NOT confuse Living History groups with Historical Re-enactment groups! Some of these groups actually own & use period style boats & ships. I might also point out that these 18th century living history groups are the best ones to join if you are into survival, the majority of members are also survivalists, & many join these groups for that reason.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]
    Some of the members of "The gentlemen Of Fortune" group.
    http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/gofindex.htm
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/455778251185874/
    http://eighteenthcenturylivinghistory.freeforums.org/ A Worldwide membership group.
    http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/reenactor_info/reenactor_group_map.shtml
    http://www.historic-uk.com/LivingHistory/ReenactorsDirectory/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_historical_reenactment_groups
    http://www.cindyvallar.com/piratelinks.html
    http://www.verobeachpiratefest.com/living-history-encampments.html
    All our equipment, weapons & tools are real.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A promotional video made for our own group which covers all 18th century personas. This will give you just a small glimpse into what we do.

5. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I am a pirate!
    I have the eye patch
    I have the cutlass
    I have the sunken chest and the funny hat!
    One leg is as stiff as wood
    and I often go Hoe Hoe Hoe!:D

Bird is too heavy for the shoulder and she complains people can see up her skirt when she tries!

6. DaBozzLady

DaBozzLady Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for the information above Mod, it is going to be very helpful as we continue this journey. I know Hollywood sensationalizes a lot of the movies about pirates for commercial purposes, but one show almost made me fall in love with being a pirate. It's a show called "Black Sails", that comes on Starz. I saw a preview one day about a year or so ago and I was hooked. I binge watched all of the episodes on demand that they had available. The grittiness, truth and perfection of the skill and dedication of the characters is what gets me. I know most would like to believe that all pirates are just thieves, unloyal, and killers, but they aren't. They are survivors and this show helped me realize that.

It is definitely going to be worth it to check out your links from the post above. Again, thanks!!

Keith H. likes this.
  7. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    An interesting aside to this is that these days Living Historians are hired to participate in period movies. They already have all the period clothing & equipment, so it saves the movie producers a lot of money.
    Keith.

8. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Want to try the life go to the far east many waters there are very dangerous from pirate activeity

9. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    No mam. Being stuck on a boat with smelly people and no sense of privacy is not my idea of the good life. Besides, it does not offer a steady income. I will respectfully pass on being a pirate.

10. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    Piracy is still very much alive in some parts of the world [in the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico]. It's not any less dangerous but unlike in the past you'll at least have some modern conveniences but with that also comes the danger of being blown to pieces by a drone strike.

Piracy certainly is not something I would desire. Pirates were murderers, rapists, robbers . . . which is why captured pirates always were executed. A pirates life . . . yo ho . . . not for me.

11. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    if you want to be a pirate go to Somalia where they still carry this on.
    for me the answer is a resounding NO, I prefer my feet on terra firma.

John Snort likes this.
  12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    I feel like pirates nowadays don't have the same amount of power, considering they can encounter a military submarine or a vessel that can take down their ship instantly. In the past they were feared because a lot of them had the best ships one could get, not a lot of people were willing to go head to head with them. Not all pirates were murderers or rapists, many of them were "fueled" by treasure-hunting.

13. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    My moral leanings leave no allowance of even thinking of being a pirate. I tend to belong to the school of thought that force is the preserve of those who prefer brain over brawn. I can imagine the obsession with piracy by alluding it to quaint happy go lucky stories of Cinderella but in reality, involved mental anguish on the subjects of those pirates.

14. cyclistbabe

cyclistbabe New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Absolutely. But a Robin Hood kind of pirate! I think I would have a hard time 'raping and pillaging' as the more sinister pirates did, especially in the the 17th and 18th centuries. But I love the culture and lore around piracy in that time and I think it's so neat. Would love to have been a part of it myself.

And yeah, since the dynamic of a pirate's life is a lot different now in the modern ages as FuZyOn said above me, I'm way more attracted to the Golden Age of Piracy as opposed to the life a contemporary pirate.

15. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I think I personally would not want to be a pirate but would enjoy living in previous times when going on adventures was fairly new. I would be more the person who would want to write everything down while traveling. Maybe instead of traveling on a boat I would travel by foot because then I would get to meet more people and see more new things.

16. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Modern pirates wear suits and sail desks! but they still rape and pillage!

17. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    While I always fantasized about living in that era, I am very glad I don't. To be honest, I'm blessed to be living in a quiet safe neighborhood. I wouldn't trade my position now for something so dangerous. Of course, there may be one exception. Anyone who has seen the tv series Once Upon a Time, would understand my willingness to convert to a pirate overnight for Killian Jones, or better known as Captain Hook.

18. jonthai

jonthai New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I would love too! I believe the thrill and the feeling of being a pirate just excites me! Sure , those times were filled with diseases , and there were practically no medicine for any of our illnesses , but i would like to live in those times.I enjoy the sea quite allot , and the Pirate movies that are out there just make me more enthusiastic about experimenting the life of a pirate.

19. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    At least pirates lived!
    The average modern worker drone just exists.
    Just a day of real living beats a year as a worker drone!

20. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    Times during the heyday of pirates often had several diseases, like small pox, scurvy, or even the plague. The idea of sailing the high seas in search for treasure is one thing, but being out in the open sea for months at a time with a dwindling food source, lack of companionship, and disease being caught because of the lack of advanced medicine, would really make your life pretty miserable. The lifespan for pirates isn't really that long, because you have to be constantly fighting at land and sea, and you would probably never be able to appreciate the loot that you would be collecting through the years to come.

21. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Yes life would be short for most but
    Fighting for your life is really living!
    If you have spirit in you that is!
    Not if you are just a plodding worker drone simply existing!

Risk, Adventure, Fame, Glory all that stuff!

Nothing ventured nothing gained!

Safety is slavery! and that is for stock animals!

22. scaruso3

scaruso3 New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I do not wish I was a pirate because I am not a huge fan of the sea. I would much rather rule from the land and be feared from my castle and riches. This sounds much more appealing to me. I guess I just don't have what it takes to be a pirate because of the unexpected occurrences that can happen in the ocean.

23. Mr Boots

Mr Boots Expert Member
      188/230

Blog Posts:
    Pirate no Viking yes
    They explored where no one ( in any written account before them ) went before
    They traded all over the world before the stock market
    Fierce warriors skilled craftsmen
    They didn't just plunder they came to new ground they also integrate in the community set up trade roots and improved whole countrys
    But learning any of the skills that most of the world had between the 10th & 18th century could help u more that all the modern survival books together

24. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    No i don't.

25. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
  26. Mr Boots

Mr Boots Expert Member
      188/230

Blog Posts:
    Keith H. likes this.
  27. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I do know how to make black powder, & yes I have made it in the past, but I purchase what I need while I can.
    Thanks for the comment, appreciated.
    Keith.

28. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Although I love adventure (I really like to travel and I always prioritize the places considered more "unusual" to visit) seas and boats, I never thought of being a pirate. In fact, I've always found them very annoying and without much purpose. :confused:

29. Mr Boots

Mr Boots Expert Member
      188/230

Blog Posts:
    Maybe ur the one to ask......
    I know there are a few different recipe for gun power but I have bin told that the alder tree turned into charcoal was a better wood to use in as your charcoal ingredient in powder making don't know why that particular tree just wondered if you have used it before and if so why it works better.
    The only other use for that tree was pillars in water for bridges/ pontoons and most of Venice is built on alder pillars
    It a native tree in Ireland just wondering if it was worth marking locations for TEOTWAWKI

Keith H. likes this.
  30. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think it is more the idea of collecting plunder & being free to wander wherever without the bad parts of piracy :)
    Keith.

WildSpirit likes this.
  31. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have no idea Boots, no Alder growing here. I have used willow & that worked fine. I would think that any wood would work. I am not into ballistics, for me it either works or it does not. If you make your own, remember to mix it WET, not dry. You can use urine if you wish.
    Keith.
    More information on my blog here:
    http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/search?q=black+powder
    http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/2011/08/muzzle-loading-information.html
    http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/2016/04/backwoods-gunpowder-making.html
    http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/2011/02/gunpowder-muzzle-loading-guns.html

Mr Boots likes this.
  32. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    I know how to make Holy Black but I won't.
    I have the better part of a case of Goex, and precious Swiss that will last the years I have left
    on this earth.
    https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/135/1

Now about $23.00 bucks a pound then add haz-mat shipping.
    I think I paid around $7.00 bucks a pound way back when.
    During our Civil War the Rebel South didn't have much in the way of a supply of black powder
    so had to begin making it for the Rebel troops.
    History suggests it was better than powder made in the North.
    When the South surrendered Northern Troops were ordered to destroy the powder mills
    captured in the South rather than have superior powder Compete with powder made in the
    North.

Evidently the south had superior wood that made better charcoal.
    Southern ladies were asked to save URINE for making black powder.
    Ladies urine made better saltpeter, or so I've read.

Here's a link:
    https://www.bardofthesouth.com/an-odd-story-from-americas-civil-war-gunpowder/

So ladies save your pee-pee in event of a shtf.
    :rolleyes:

But I don't want/need it. I have lots of Holy Black.:p

And muzzle loaders.

I have this one. Eat your hearts out.:D
    http://www.custommuzzleloaders.com/buckscounty.html

And an American Jeager caliber .58. A .58 only because he didn't have a .62 available.
    The Bucks County is a .40 and both are rock locks. (flintlocks)
    The Jeager and Bucks have really nice wood.
    Walnut for the Jeager and triple AAA fancy Ohio maple for the Bucks.
    Soooooooooo beautiful.

Keith H. likes this.
  33. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    About wishing I was a pirate?

NO!
    Pirates are cold blooded, murdering, raping, SCUM.
    Back in the day a captured pirate was treated very badly indeed.
    Hanged, then the body hung over the ocean at low tide to rot and fall into the sea.
    The reason being that no proper funeral could ever be had for the scum bucket.
    Blackbeard, Edward Teach, was captured and beheaded and his head swung on the bowsprit.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackbeard

I used to spend a lot of time on Ocracoke island where Blackbeard was killed.
    Legend is treasure is buried on the island but it can't be true.
    Blackbeard didn't steal much gold and silver. He stole supplies, sugar, flour, salt, lead, powder, and such
    which he sold.

Keith H. likes this.
  34. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Two flintlocks, well you are pretty set if it all hits the fan jeager. Good one.
    Keith.

35. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think most of you are taking this thread far too seriously. The author of this post said:
    "I love the idea of surviving on a boat for a very long time, looting chests of treasure on forgotten islands, all the sea stories involving monsters, magic or surreal stuff, navigating a ship". Lighten up folks!!!
    Keith.

Mr Boots likes this.
  36. Mr Boots

Mr Boots Expert Member
      188/230

Blog Posts:
    The first casualty as TEOTWAWKI happens will be people's sense of humour
    it was the only reason I like some people

Keith H. likes this.
  37. Dan Collyer

Dan Collyer New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    With out a doubt the pirates life for me. Nothing sounds more exciting and punishing at the same time, living in the era of Caribbean pirate would have been absolutely liberating. I think a group of us should all get together chip in for a fast boat and a serious cache of weapons, then make a b-line for Somalia. Can you imagine the raw confusion of our potential victims? All I need is a crew of about six people, some AK47's and an RPG for luck. So do you think I should set up a go fund me campaign? :)

Keith H. likes this.
  38. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Make that a tall ship, muzzle-loaders & cutlasses only, & I will bet you will get some backing :)
    Keith.

39. Mr Boots

Mr Boots Expert Member
      188/230

Blog Posts:
    You forget the rum and master pickpocketing monkey then I am in

Keith H. likes this.
  40. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    A deal Mr Boots. Okay, that is three of us. Dan, Mr Boots & myself. Anymore takers?
    Keith.
    _fDZ7SDWQN8NiqQUBer1KGvQdSjp9Cty.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Radar and Mr Boots like this.