Does anyone follow Alone on History?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by Dude17, May 24, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Dude17

Dude17 New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Over the years I have followed quite some TV network 'survival' shows. While most focused more on drama aspects (naked and afraid) and staged many situations (man vs wild, dual survival, etc), Alone really got my attention. I found the first season absolutely amazing. It focuses more on actual survival and the mental aspect of doing it by yourself. It's a bit like Survivorman with Les Stroud but then with 10 less experienced people competing against each other and for a much longer time. Season 2 is currently running and I'm watching again of course. Does anyone follow the series and if yes what are your thoughts?

2. Destiny

Destiny Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Yes! I watched the first season and thought it was such a great concept. I really like that they don't have a camera crew following them around, they have their own cameras and have to film themselves. I'm also watching the second season... man, did you see when the woman cut her hand with the axe? That made me cringe!

3. Dude17

Dude17 New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Yeah not having a camera crew is what's so great about this show to me. They only have contact with a medical crew once per week I think, they check if they are still doing ok and retrieve their footage.

The girl that cut her hand was nuts. At first I thought she had to man up and just bandage it, but later when they zoomed in on the actual cut it was much deeper than I thought. It was quite clear she couldn't continue, but she still asked while on the boat. It's funny how a bunch of them make such silly mistakes. One guy let his ferro rod roll into the fire and a many of them have set their gill nets in the wrong spot. But even then they seem to be better than the people from last season, it will be interesting to see who will win this season and how long the top 2 will last.

4. Destiny

Destiny Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Oh yeah! When they zoomed in on it I knew she'd have to leave too. If she'd have stayed it would have gotten infected and sure she cut some tendons in there. On last week's episode when the guy made his own rope swing on the tree, I just kept thinking that was so stupid. I get it must be super boring way out there but it seemed too dangerous. I just kept thinking he was going to have a hunger induced dizzy spell and fall and break his leg or something!

5. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    No TV out here.
    Keith.

6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    cant get History on my tv basic package. although I do watch Les Stroud on another channel.

7. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Don't watch any of those sort of shows any more
    I just got too irritated with stupid stuff to bother
    They all deserve the Darwin Award!

lonewolf likes this.
  8. Dude17

Dude17 New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:

Alone actually features a whole bunch of survival instructors, a wild life guide, ex marine sniper, someone living off of the land already, etc. They have some interesting characters and some plain stupid ones, but some of them show really neat tricks. Maybe it's not great for the experienced survivalist, but it shouldn't be taken too serious since it's a TV show aimed at entertaining the larger crowd.

9. Dude17

Dude17 New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    The epsisodes are on youtube as well. Especially the ones from last season can easily be found.

10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    not really bothered to be honest, there still just TV programmes at the end of the day.

11. DaBozzLady

DaBozzLady Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    OP, you beat me to it. I was going to ask about the show today. I keep seeing the clips and was wondering if I should watch or not, how scripted, etc. So thanks to all for the information posted above. Do you know if they have the first season available anywhere?

12. Dude17

Dude17 New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    They do try to dramatize a lot, but yeah that's television.

If you're from the US try the History channel website. Otherwise YouTube or less legal options. But then again, you may never see these on your local tv channel because it's really not that popular to the bigger crowds. Maybe Discovery will buy it for worldwide broadcasting at some point.

13. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    I applied for the show did not get on have on

14. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Just was watching a New Zealand crime drama. Fellow gets killed with a rifle whose brand name I didn't recognize. I look up the rifle brand and it turns out the writers used a cricket player's name and jersey number as the weapon's manufacturer and model number. Oh and the ammo box was wrong. The coroner at autopsy made statements about ballistics that could never have been ascertained from an examination of a shooting victim's body. The bullet type listed on the wrong type of box was the wrong ammunition description. The original ammo shown as show's beginning did not match the ammo shown later on. All manner of other mistakes were made.

This show has the most accurate info about firearms I've seen -- even with all of the mistakes. TV and movie writers know nothing about firearms. Same with directors and their technical staff. The industry itself is Leftist and would have all firearms (to include archery tackle and black powder firearms) in the possession of civilians confiscated tomorrow afternoon, however they go about such piecemeal. They know it will take time to turn all civilians into absolute serfs.

You'll never see anything on the idiot box that is accurate, same with the big screen. Elitists and those cattle who vote for them do not recognize your right to self-defense. They do not recognize your right to store food and provisions. If you are found to be "hoarding", all that you own will be confiscated by the government goons. Thus, civil wars will be breaking out in all Western nations

Keith H. likes this.
  15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    its just entertainment, not to be taken literally, just "opium for the masses".
    film and tv directors aren't bothered about accuracy just ratings and income.

Keith H. likes this.
  16. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Sounds very much like our government!
    Keith.

17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    sounds a bit like our current Labour party, they just haven't got a clue!!

Keith H. likes this.
  18. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Tv isnt too important here old analog signal i got 30 channels on my antenna now with digital i get 10 and they fade in and out with weather i find most shows full of mistakes and alot of made up info plus they talk way too much about bad and hardly notice good

Keith H. likes this.