Does anyone know a good homemade fly killer recipe or how to build a trap?

Discussion in 'Other DIY' started by branchd77, Oct 10, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. branchd77

branchd77 Administrator Staff Member Gold Supporter
      257/345

Blog Posts:
    I know flys aren't a deadly threat but they are still annoying. Does anyone have a trick or homemade solution for getting rid of flys? I've heard spray bleach around the entrances to your house. I've tried that and had OK success. Fly paper works alright too, but nothing that I have ever used is 100%.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    You can purchase fly traps or you can make them from a soft drink bottle. You simply cut the top part off at a point where it can be placed upside down in the bottle without falling right in. Put a small amount of water in the bottle, say a third to half. Put is anything that will attract flies, I have used egg & fatty meat scraps. The flies can get in, but not get out, they drown. It looks when finished much the same as a fish trap.
    Regards, Keith.

Neiltarquin and PriscillaKing like this.
  3. branchd77

branchd77 Administrator Staff Member Gold Supporter
      257/345

Blog Posts:
    Awesome, I will try it out and see if I can get it to work. Thank You

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Zyphir

Zyphir Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Get a 16oz soda bottle. Cut the top off just above where the label start. Take the part you cut off and put the mouth piece side down into the rest of the bottle. Tape it up. Now add sugar to bottom of the container you made with a lil water so that it look like syrup. The flies will fly in from the top to get to the sugar but will not be able to fly back out.

Attached Files:

Corzhens likes this.
  5. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I totally agree re the trap construction, but that is the first time I have heard of flies going for sugar. Wasps yes, flies no, not here anyway. We add an egg or some meat to the water in the bottle to attract the flies.
    Keith.

Zyphir likes this.
  6. Zyphir

Zyphir Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the correction Keith. I always seen my dad and uncles do it assumed it was for flies but once you mentioned it, it clicked that yea when I went to dispose of it there was always more yellow jackets in there than there were flies. See that is the reason that I joined this site to learn and refine the things that I have learned.

Keith H. likes this.
  7. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    We don't have a problem with wasps here in the forest, but I remember when I was a kid in England that wasps could be a problem. Flies on the other hand are always present here!
    Regards, Keith.

8. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Yes, that plastic bottle is an effective trap for flies. But what I know is vinegar for the bait. The smell of vinegar will attract the flies. And once inside the bottle, the insects cannot fly out. I think it is Apple cider vinegar for best results.

9. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I'd go with what Keith suggested. It is a fool proof plan.