Does Spit Fishing Work?

Discussion in 'Hunting / Fishing / Trapping' started by John Snort, Jun 4, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    Someone told me about it but I'm not sure it can work.

According to him all you need to catch small fish is your t-shirt, or shirt, and saliva.

You spit in the water. The saliva acts as bait for small fish. They come swimming over and you use t-shirt as a some sort of net to catch them. It sounds quite easy.

Does this method of catching fish work? Or is it something which works only in theory?

2. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Probably works somewhere with some species
    good idea to keep in the back file but I would not spent time on it!

3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I do not class myself as an angler, though I do know how to fish & have done so many times. I have never heard of this method, & from experience fish are very wary of anything out of the ordinary, also movement. People have caught fish with just the hand, so I guess it can be done. Personally I think it would be easier to make a net from plant cordage & attach it to a pole, but then if you were going to that amount of effort you could just as easily make a fishing line & a gorge hook.
    Keith.

John Snort likes this.
  4. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Lol mAny better ways to fish line hooks and weight are very affordable bait isnt hard to find think it be easier and better to fish be more productive lol spit fishing wow lmfao

5. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I have caught fish in many ways, sometimes just a shiney hook works.
    I have caught several huge leatherjackets bare handed.
    I have also caught poddy mullet with a net and crumbs!

Nets work wonders catching fish!

6. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    I have friends that have caught tilapia with saliva and a regular net. Not with a t shirt. I suppose you could fasion a net like aparatus with a t-shirt.

If there was no cordage or hooks, this would be an option.

7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think someone is having you on with this tale.

8. joshposh

260/345

Blog Posts:
    It works. I know how Tilapia behaves as I'm own Tilapia farms. Drop anything in in the pond when they are hungry, they will jump for it. I know people who use fishing polls with no bait on them and they will bite. I've never tried it as I can get Tilapia any time I want.

9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    do that in the UK and you'll just frighten the fish away. a fish trap is much better.

10. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I have never heard of this before. If fishing were this easy every survivalist would know about it. I do know there are some fish that are easier to catch like minnows, I used to catch these with just about any thing edible in large numbers. Spit doesn't feed the fish in any way so I doubt this even works.

11. joshposh

260/345

Blog Posts:
    It works with Tilapia. My friends use to catch them with just a hook and no bait. If it is a pond with very little and no food, these little guys will bite at anything. During a Typhoon in the Philippines, we couldn't feed the Tilapia for a few days. Some of the trees and branches had fallen into the pond. I had my crew go in and clear the area, and sure enough the Tilapia had cleaned off the bark of some of the branches. Tilapia breed like crazy and go after food as there is a lot of competition in the pond.

12. ProNine

ProNine Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I'd make sure to bring some extra bait with me as I don't believe this is not the most reliant method for fishing. The reason is that there is nothing special about saliva that fish would actually be willing to get near to. In fact, it shares a strong resemblance to that of water bubbles which is why the fish won't even approach it. A better way is to use cereal balls instead of spit and use the same method. Get some cereal and damp it so that you can turn it into small dough like balls and throw them. The fish will come after them, then you can use the net on them.