Don't forget about cactus

Discussion in 'Finding, Purifying, and Storing Water' started by cluckeyo, May 23, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    Particularly the prickly pear cactus (Nopalea) leaf is full of water. Perhaps it might come in handy to know if you are in the desert. I have drank from the prickly pear and it tasted quite good, as I was extremely thirsty at the time.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes cluckeyo, good post. I had forgotten about the Prickly Pear cactus. None around here, but the further North you go the more you see. I seem to recall there was a trick to getting rid of the spines before eating the fruit? Can't remember what I did now.
    Keith.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    It's funny but I have seen that water in the cactus when I used to watch cartoons. If I remember it correctly, it was Bugs Bunny in the desert who got a branch of cactus and drank water. When I asked if it was true, my older sister said that there is indeed water in the cactus. When we were in Singapore last year, there was an area in Gardens By The Bay, which has giant cacti. The caretaker of the garden said that their cacti grow rapidly because of the fertilizer. When my husband asked about the irrigation, the caretaker said watering the cacti is not a problem because those plants can go for a week without irrigating.

But back to the water, maybe the cactus is the lifesaver of people who are lost in the desert because when you are in dry land, the first thing you will need is water.

4. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    While there are no indigenous cactus around here, this is still a great piece of information to remember for a few reasons. First, you never know where you are gonna end up far from home when something like that happens. Also, many people have cactus around here for house plants, too. So, if water was in a severe shortage, I would think that would be a possibility, too.