Dryer Lint Fire Starter

Discussion in 'All Resources About Fire' started by ziskasun, Jun 15, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. ziskasun

ziskasun New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    You can make some nice fire starter logs from dryer lint, a toilet paper roll, and wax. You can really use any wax, melt down some spent candle stubs or any paraffin wax will do. I don't really recommend scented candle wax. You pack dryer lint into a toilet paper roll and then pour the melted wax into the roll. Let it soak in. After it dries store it in a zip lock bag to keep dry. These will burn nicely for at least 20 minutes.

cluckeyo likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I would not recommend this as a sustainable method. Candles are best saved for lighting in my opinion & if you did use a candle, one is sufficient to ignite many fires simply by holding the lit candle under the kindling.
    Better to learn how to light fires using natural tinders & kindling.
    Keith.

3. evergreen

evergreen Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    Actually this is the exact method I use to light fires in my fireplace! I agree with the candles thing, however what I do, is use the unused melted wax - the wax that drips off the candle and onto the plate that pours into a puddle. Let that harden, then snap it into pieces and insert into the paper roll. If you want to be "flashy" obviously in survival this wouldn't apply BUT until then, you can wrap the roll in tissue paper and attach ribbons at the ends.

4. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    If you want to have artificial tender you should buy Emergency tender replacements. Colghlans Emergency Tender Replacements seem to work very well. The good thing about these is that there non toxic and water proof. I would also invest in a fire starter this way you don't have to worry about running out of lighters or matches in the long run.

5. Eric Graham

Eric Graham New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Dryer sheets work good too! I always have a pack of small ones I just buy from the dollar store and they not only light easily they catch on really well and is good for a base to start a good fire. Of course they aren't a permanent solution but if you are low on ideas you can always try that.