Duct Tape Anyone?

Discussion in 'First Aid and Medicine' started by joshposh, May 25, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    This is something that a buddy of mine brought one day while drinking a beer. We talked about survival and how the world would come to and end, and what exact items he would have on him. He said he wanted a roll of duct tape.

His argument was that with duct tape you could close up a wound, make a sling for a broken arm, wrap your ankles and wrist for support, even fasten sticks to make a tool. I thought that was ingenious. He was right. I use duct tape all the time, but when it comes to survival all I was thinking about was a good knife, first aid kit, and a fire starter. Duct tape should be on the list as well

You thought about duct tape and it's applications on survival?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Destiny

Destiny Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Duct tape is great is has so many uses. It could also be used to hold a shelter together, it'd be a lot faster stringing it together with raw materials.

3. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    When we were out hiking, I developed a very bad blister on the bottom of my foot. We did not have any moleskin, but we did have duct tape. We were out for a several day stint before we would reach civilization again. I kept it sealed up with a clean piece of duct tape and so I was able to continue hiking. And we did get off that mountain eventually. Duct tape has a million uses. I have a rusty hole in my old kitchen sink. I'd rather not chip the tile out to replace it. It's made of white porcelain and I keep it taped up with white duct tape. It is very attractive, almost invisible, and I believe the last time I changed out the tape is probably 2 years ago. It really sticks and has completely sealed off that leak. Duct tape for president!!

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I remember hearing about a chap who had his light aircraft torn up pretty bad by a bear in the wilderness. No way he could get out with the plane. He radioed a mate of his & got a case of duct tape dropped to his camp site. With the duct tape he repaired his plane & flew it out of there.
    Personally I would not bother with carrying duct tape, I have more important things to carry with me, but I do have some at home & it does have its uses.
    Keith.

5. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Duct tap is just one of those materials that has no end when it comes to it's uses. When you are in survival situation the last thing thing you want is to have a open wound open to infection. The quicker you can cover it up the better. I think it should be a must to any camping or survival gear.

6. evelin

evelin New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Well, believe it or not, most people would disagree with you, but I'm on your side with this one. I mean, a duct tape could help you to LITERALLY do anything in your survival journey, and it's a good substitute for other fancier things available on the market. Still, it can't be eaten, so... there's a little flaw there. :D

7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Duct tape has its uses but TBH the modern stuff is not as good as I remember it being, its not as adhesive as it used to be, so although it might be handy its not something I would include.

8. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I am such a huge fan of Duct tape, I always have it with me when I go camping, it can fix anything! I once had a tent that was completely broken but with duct tape I managed to keep it standing for one more night until I could get another one.

9. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Humm I'm not so sure about that, maybe with a side of chips and a nice salad it might not be that bad, haha

No seriously duct tape has so many uses that it's a must, I can see that certain people might be against it because when you leave a place you have camped in it should look like it did before you arrived. That means you should carry the used duct tap out with you and most people aren't going to do that.

10. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Duct tape is incredibly useful. When traveling, I used duct tape so much that it was odd to not need it once I came home. I used duct tape for a lot of repairs while traveling. You never know when something is going to break and the easiest means of fixing something immediately is duct tape. Duct tape held a lot of my supplies together and at some points, I was creating duct tape wallets and such to sell to the public. It's just an all around useful item to have on you. Whether you're in a bind or a fellow traveler needs some help, it will always be used at some point in time.

11. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    In Oklahoma people make all sorts of items with duct tapes. I've seen wallets, shoes, belts, hats, and so much more made from duct tape. Not that any of these items would help you survive. I'm just pointing out the possibilities are endless. Its definitely worth including in my survival kit

12. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    No, I had not thought of duct tape. Tell your friend thank you. Duct tape is another item to add to my emergency backpack. Maybe you should go drinking again with your friend and see if he will come up with another jewel you can share with us.

13. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I have never really posed to reflect on the potential applications of duct tape to survival and this is to say the least, ingenuous and revolutionary. It is second to none in terms of tweaking things in the wild for survival. I thought fire would solve most problems in the wild. I think a combination of a lighter, duct tape, a knife and a sleeping bag is next to impossible to beat.

14. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    I read on the news once that they fixed an entire plane that was attacked by a bear, all with duct tape, and it flew without any problems. If duct tape can do that to an entire plane, I'm sure we can use tape as first response aid to breaks in the skin that came from broken bones, cuts, bleeding, and other injuries. There are lots of things that people use as first aid, especially in dire situations, such as quick sealing glue to close out a ruptured artery. So it's not at all ridiculous to use duct tape and place it in emergency kits.

15. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Duck tape is definitely part of my survival pack that I have stashed aside. It's truly amazing what you can do with it. You can make clothing with it even, although I don't know that I say that it would be comfortable. It's definitely something hand to keep around and can serve so many purposes. You have to pay the extra to get the good stuff though. Don't even bother with the cheap stuff. It'll leave you stranded and angry.

16. jonthai

jonthai New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I don't see how a duct tape can be useful to me in a disaster.I don't think it's a good idea to put duct tape on an open wound,as it might contain lots of germs and cause an infection.It can be useful to assemble tools,but if you already have pre-made tools then you don't need it. Duct tape would definitely not be on my to-bring list in an apocalypse.

17. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    the duct tape we get in the UK isn't as good as the stuff we used to get just a few years ago.

18. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I think the duct tape would actually probably help to prevent infection, if it were a survival situation and sterile bandages were not available then using duct tape to cover a wound is quite a good idea. Also if any of those tools broke, or any other items you had broke then you would soon wish you had some duct tape! I think it would be better to have it and not use it than to not have it and need it.

19. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I'd definitely want some duct tape because it can be used for so many things.
    You don't want to put it directly on a wound but yeah, you can easily use it to make a bandage with a piece of cloth or anything similar. (as long as it's clean)

20. Finman0507

Finman0507 New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I actually have thought about it. It's the one thing my husband makes sure is always in the house. It can be used for so many things. And in a survival situation all the more. Definitely keep in your survival kit.

21. Jaydon A.

Jaydon A. New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Duct tape is almost as versatile as the Swiss Army Knife. It can be used for shelters, wounds, adhesive needs, etc. I always keep a couple of rolls of duct tape in my car and in my house! Especially the heavy duty kind.