Earthquake Prediction

Discussion in 'Earthquake' started by Corzhens, May 16, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    We are irritated whenever we would read or hear a warning that the big one (earthquake) may hit the West Valley Fault where our home is located in its vicinity. According to the Seismologist of the government's bureau, the big earthquake that can destroy a sizable area can occur soon or maybe in 400 years. Can you dig that? Within 400 years is the prediction. Obviously, they cannot predict earthquakes so all they can do now is to issue warnings. And those warnings are scaring people.

2. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Yes, they issue these warnings all the time, there may some related happenings but mostly nothing happens, and most of the time things happens and it's a great surprise because no one knew it beforehand. When I get a prediction of, "soon or withing 400 years," I am not going stand up and really take notice because this prediction is very iffy so I won't lose too much sleep over it.

3. Ali_q

Ali_q New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    They also provoke misconceptions among people, I cannot begin to tell you the ridiculous things I've heard. Whenever there's a swarm of small quakes the news creates panic saying this could mean a big one will be hitting us soon. Instead of doing this they should concentrate on preparing people. Many are not ready to face such an event and it worries me that it's not a concern until something happens.

4. m33kuh

m33kuh Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    True indeed. But although we can't really predict whenever a major earthquake is happening, it's better to be prepared at all times.
    We never know when it will strike, but when it does, we know that it'll be hard. We gotta be prepared at all cost.

Morgan101 likes this.
  5. Robin Roberts Jungle

Robin Roberts Jungle Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    It reminds me of that Mt. St. Helen volcano in the Northwest that blew up in the 80s. They are also predicting that the volcano at the Yellowstone National Park will blow up again. Michio Kaku, a renowned physicist, said that it's like black magic predicting when the natural disaster will erupt. We can't change what the earth is going to do. Even weather forecasters say that if there is a 40% chance that their predictions are correct, that is an ideal scenario. I do understand why and if people are scared though. I wouldn't want to live with the thought of a fault line going through my neighborhood.

6. overcast

overcast Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    There are some near accurate systems which can predict the earthquake. But a lot of them are not upto the mark. For example seismic activity around many places was not properly read in last few years. Otherwise many people could have been saved in case of tsunami problem. That being said, it's not an easy way to handle this sort of situation. So a lot of money goes into making the equipment that can give us more accuracy.

7. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    On spaceweathernews today July fourteen , the scientist alluded to the polar shift of earth thus changing polar magnetic field is causing earthquakes . We had two more quakes in the last few hours on the planet . They didn't say it but I will , as the magnetic field continues to shift " we will see earthquake frequency and intensity increase " .

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    There are all manner of ways that geologists say, "Don't worry," at the end of their report on the latest string of earthquakes.

One word I see that keeps popping-up is "overdue".

The Pacific Ring of Fire is currently having an awakening. Oh my. And then there was the Italian earthquake in their Apennine Mountains. And then there was the little tsunami thingy in Japan.

Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  9. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think people tend to think that things have always been like this in their life time, so that is the way it is supposed to be. Only problem with that kind of thinking is our lifetimes is but a grain of sand on the beach of time. The planet is in constant change and flux but we can only measure it based on out lifetime of observation.

10. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    There were a couple of other articles I read a couple years ago about the polar magnetic shift and something else it was doing to the planet, but if you know me, ah, the memory! I'll work on finding that info sometime today, if I remember. I'd been thinking about that lately anyway because I couldn't remember what it was...

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm not sure I know where to weigh in on this subject. The statistics are confusing at best. According to this scientific body the number of earthquakes per year with a magnitude of 7.0 or greater has remained constant (no increase) since record keeping began.

https://www.iris.edu/hq/files/publications/brochures_onepagers/doc/EN_OnePager3.pdf

For a period of four years Oklahoma experienced an exponential rise in earthquakes a magnitude of 3.0 or greater. This was of course blamed on fracking, but they have had an equally dramatic decrease over the past two years, and to the best of my knowledge they are still fracking.

The USGS is still studying the impacts of man-made and natural occurring earthquakes, so IMHO the jury is still out. If the USGS can't make a definitive statement then who can?

Living in a region that is prone to have the "BIG ONE" happen, IMHO the best advice is be prepared. No one will ever know exactly when it will happen, so you just have to be prepared for it to happen today.

TMT Tactical and Radar like this.