Easiest Way To Find Water In A Desert

Discussion in 'Finding, Purifying, and Storing Water' started by Koala, May 28, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    We all know that water is extremely important when it comes to survival and that it is even a bigger commodity when you are stuck in an extremely hot climate/place - like the desert. It got me wondering what would be the easiest ways to find some water if I'd ever get stuck. I already know the obvious ways, like trying to find a stream, river, eating cactus fruit but what are some others if these weren't an option. Should we try to look for anything specific in the area? like rocks, vegetation?

So, what would be the best/easiest course of actions for finding some water in an unknown desert?

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I haven't been to a desert yet but I know that one can die of extreme thirst. Dehydration can weaken you and eventually you die if you couldn't replenish your body fluids. The only source of water in the desert that I know is the oasis. Desert people know where to find the oasis so what I would do is try to find a desert nomad who can lead me to the oasis.

3. DeeFree

DeeFree New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Another good question posed here and being that I actually live near a desert and have reason to drive through it a few times a year this is information I could use one day, god forbid. So I decided to google this subject since the original post ruled out the only two I already knew. So, google says to listen for birds or animals and head in that direction. I've never seen an animal in the desert flatlands except maybe lizards and they're too fast. Then, google says to look for swarms of flies or bees and follow them. Lol, like they're going to just let you tag behind them and they will totally not bother you. I guess the best tip is to look for vegetation and dig where you find it. Now I have the problem of filtration but that's another post.

Jonathan Solomon likes this.
  4. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I know that one way you can get water in the desert if there are no other sources nearby is to gather stones and put a cloth or conatiner underneath. You might need a smll whole. You can collect the dew and drink that. You may not get alot but it may help. Yes, there is dew even in the desert.

5. Anniee

Anniee New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    Well, I read a comment above talking of vegetation, birds, flies, bees, insects etc. All those are difficult in an extreme desert. The best is to use a gps if you have and get out of that place, else you are a goner.

6. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Another way that I know that you can get water even in a desert scenario is to get water out of a cactus. It may not sustain you enough to be hydrated but it can certainly whet your whistle. If you can manage to follow animal tracks they may lead you to water as well. You have to do what you can to survive.

7. texsun54

texsun54 Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I don't live in the desert, but if I was headed to desert area I would try to take enough water to travel through. When on a road trip that was going to take us through desert I carried extra water for drinking and for the car in case it over heated. I don't really see a scenario that will put me in an unfamiliar desert area away from any sources of water.

8. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Well since this is a survivalist forum we discuss ways we could survive under extreme circumstances. Yes, it is likely we will never find ourselves in one of these situations, but should it happen, hopefully we will be prepared more than the average person to survive in conditions that other people might consider impossible.

9. joegirl

joegirl Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I know this sounds horrific and you might want to throw up just thinking about it, people have drunk their own pee when all else failed and there's no way of getting water. The human body can survive without food for a while but can never survive without water beyond three days.

10. Okaviator

Okaviator Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    Finding water in the desert is actually quite impossible. In my opinion the only real way to find water would be to find an oasis or drink your own pee. I really can't think of any other viable options.

11. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The answer is gold, bearer bonds, and superior firepower.

You are in the desert and have brought with you everything you need ... except water. Awwwwwww, shucks!

You and your more than adequately-equipped hired guns must now wait for the column of armor-plated Mercedes Benz cars and SUVs that will inevitably come barrelling down the non-road upon which you have dug-in your emplacements. Your crew traps the column and even though you have created some seriously unhappy, seriously wealthy well-born folk, they understand the potentially fulminating situation now enveloping them.

Be ever so nice, even obsequious to your "guests". Explain your circumstances and offer 1.5x price against water supplies to continue your journey OUT of this purgatory. In addition to payment, you must make compensation for the horribly unfortunate situation you have placed these individuals (who routinely have many people killed) -- thus the gold and bearer bonds.

Barrels of water will then be provided you from the SUVs. ......... That is if this unimaginably precarious balancing act doesn't go royally sideways. There will be a lot of breath-holding going on. The rich people also have death toys in their SUVs along with their own well-payed mercenaries skilled in the use of such toys.

Never be without water.

Biologist Charles Darwin wrote about this stuff a long, long time ago; avail yourself of such wisdom.

12. Soum

Soum New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    I never been in a desert yet, but I know that one can die of dehydration. There is no chances that you'll get water in the desert very easily and also impossible to find water because in that situation your body gape up and you don't have much energy to walk. In my opinion if somebody make a plan to go in desert than He/She should check the lot of water and make the plans before the journey.

13. TsuyoyRival

TsuyoyRival New Member
      9/29

Blog Posts:
    Probably not a very chance scenario, but if you find a corpse of an animal on the desert, and if he was recently deceased, you can open it's carcass to avoid extreme heat and also look for body fluids, that you could purify with a hot source.