Easy Way To Purify Water

Discussion in 'Finding, Purifying, and Storing Water' started by John Snort, Jun 14, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    Supposing you can't boil water or don't have anything else that can be used to purify water?

Well, you can use sunlight to get the job done.

UV-a rays from sunlight will kill bacteria, viruses and other parasites in water if it [the water] is exposed to sunlight for more than six hours. You can play it safer, if you want to and opt for more hours.

All you have to do is fill a clear container with the water you want purified and place it a spot where it'll get maximum exposure to sunlight.

Wait six hours and the water will be safe to drink.

2. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:

It does kill bacteria, but to add my 2 cents to the mix, I would strain the water and remove all visible particulates before leaving the water out in the sun for 6 hours.

John Snort likes this.
  3. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I have a life saver water bottle (6000 UF) and a few spare filters. Got it on sale for $150, produces medically sterile water and I have an organic mineral supplement to accompany it. It is a bit pricey, (6000L replacement is $130-150), but if you think about it, that's still pretty cheap compared to bottled water (2.5 cents per liter).

You can put this into a contaminated water source and have sterile water in a few moments.

4. DecMikashimota

DecMikashimota New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    UV-A ray beams from the sun can slaughter unsafe microscopic organisms, parasites, and viral infections in water, sufficiently if exposed to sunlight. An unmistakable way to purify water would be to load a plastic jug with water,and leave it in the sun for 6 hours.

Coputere likes this.
  5. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Couldn't you also use some type of mirror setup to concentrate light and boil water? Preppers carrying magnifying glasses and handheld mirrors, lol. It'd work though for sure :)

I remember seeing some video of a giant laser that can melt rock that's just one big reflective thing

6. Coputere

Coputere New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Allegedly, sunlight has held its place as a natural purifier. What is lacking from this methodology is indication that there is any fact to back this statement up. What we need is some proven research that will solidify the purification progress that has been said to take place when sunlight hits water.

7. crmeche2

crmeche2 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    When you have nothing else around, you can always purify water by boiling it. It's not the greatest tasting water, but at least it is safe. You can also use bleach. Put four drops of bleach per 1 quart of water and let it sit for 30 minutes.

8. lucidcuber

lucidcuber New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I've always thought that simply boiling the water and condensing the steam is the best way. I see all these products and filters, but ultimately are they even necessary. Boiling the water is almost as good as distilling isn't it? You can boil water as long as you have fuel and a container, an almost universal method.

9. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    The only reason I would prefer the lifesaver versus boiling is the lifesaver is 1. nearly instant 2. medically sterile from any source. You need to be able to boil water in a survival situation, then cool it down to have it sterile. What happens if you need to dress a wound and only have mucky water that you can't be sure about? What happens if you don't have anything on you to boil water with nearby, but you do have a relatively small filter?

Again, no ref links or anything, just love them @2.5 cents per liter~. I think the filter price makes it less in the long run (filters are still expensive but far less than the whole kit). No big deal for portable medically sterile water, imo. Need those minerals though, there is no medically sterile water in nature so I don't want to drink it in that state very often

10. mysurvivalblogger1

mysurvivalblogger1 Well-Known Member
      68/99

Blog Posts:
    Hello all, I am not sure if any of you are familiar with a distiller. I recently purchased a distiller from this website www.shtfandgo.com among other great water purifying products they have to offer. This distiller is basically a two in one. It can be used as a distiller or as a gravity filtration system. When I use it as a distiller I have gotten about 8-12 cups of water and I have also tried it as a gravity filtration system and I have gotten about a half gallon of water. It's been the best purchase I have bought myself in a long time. They also offer the smallest water straws which I purchased about 12 to keep in my car, bags, hunting gear, etc. Great little water straw! Hope this helps some of you out. I know I am very satisfied with the products I have purchased from them. Best wishes with searching!

11. Karen Martin

Karen Martin New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Good day, Team: What a lot of good valid points on how to purify water! Purify water can be done in so many ways, but if you are out in the wilderness the best way to purify the water is to take the water and let it sit overnight in the highest sun exposure to kill the bacteria flowing in the water to purify the water for good old fashion water drinking!

12. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    if you do nothing else, you should at least bring the water to a rolling boil for a few minutes.

13. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    If you have it 3-4drops of bleach purifies a gal of water boiling water is easiest a water filter is best

14. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    I knew about bleach but did not know about the sunlight method. Of course you would have to then drink hot water. But hey, if you're thirsty I'm sure that would taste pretty good! If it's true, then it's an important method because that may be the only choice you have. If you don't have a watch, you'll have to estimate time by the movement of the sun.

15. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Wow i did not know this. This is interesting and if this truly legit, this is no doubt really useful method in times of great difficulty where our choices are limited. I'll have to remember this.

16. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    If there was no fire or bleach to purify the water, then UV rays is the best natural purifier. However I still must insist that you strain the particulates out of the water first before you leave it out in the sun. If there was a turd in the water, I would not drink it. Better be safe then sorry.

If there was a watering hole where animals drink from, you can try to dig a hole several feet from the community water and the soil will remove almost all bacteria from the water. From there is you are still not convinced, you can leave it in the sun for a few hours or a day.

17. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    This is quite a useful idea Mr. Snort due to the fact that it engenders use of natural energy and therefore free. It should be applicable where there is plenty of sunshine. I have been pondering on using water purification tablets which are usually chlorinated and are not healthy for the gut. I have seen some literature in the past supporting the fact that water at the base of a waterfall is sterile and therefore safe to use. I wonder whether this method of utilizing UV rays is effective for the more stubborn bacterial pathogens like those responsible for typhoid and cholera?

18. ProNine

ProNine Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I think to purify water, you need to realise that boiling alone would not work. Of course, right now, we're talking about tap water or natural water coming from rain, lakes, rivers, and ponds. Boiling alone wouldn't help as not all chemical pollutants will be removed. After boiling, let it rest for at least a minute, then add two drops of household bleach per gallon, for example, Clorox or Purex. Make sure the chlorine concentration is inbetween 5 and 8 percent. As for quantities, here is a nice table to stick by:
    Volume of Water to be Treated Bleach Solution to Add
    1 quart/1 liter 5 Drops
    1/2 gallon/2 quarts/2 liters 10 Drops
    1 gallon 1/ 4 teaspoon
    5 gallons 1 teaspoon
    10 gallons 2 teaspoons

Grumpy Max likes this.