Eating the same thing everyday

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by FuZyOn, Jun 21, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    I was once put in a tricky situation when I was on a surviving trip. I ran out of food quite fast and the only thing I had to eat was fish that I recently caught and potatoes. You would think that's a pretty good meal and I thought that way too, but after a week I couldn't bring myself to eat fish or potatoes anymore, it took a tool on my apetite.
    Eating the same thing repeatedly can make you really sick and nauseous, make sure you always have some kind of alternative otherwise you're going to fail.

2. schiavonecalvin

schiavonecalvin New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Well in my case I do not mind eating the same thing everyday for a week. I guess when you have involuntarily gone days without food you appreciate eating anything that is available. Homelessness is one of the situations that I am not proud to have gone through, but i am proud of the person that I have become through it all. Not to say that you are one of them, but To this day, I frown on picky eaters.

Sealpikachu likes this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Can't say that I have ever found it a problem, though I can understand it because after cyclone Tracey, the only food made available at the survival supply depot was SPAM. We ate this until I was able to repair my Toyota 4x4 & get it out from under the rubble! Then I went bush to hunt some real meat.

I recommend to alleviate this problem in the future, that you carry some different herbs with you. They weigh little & a little goes a long way.
    Keith.

JeffHart likes this.
  4. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I agree that the monotony of having the same food every meal will kill your appetite. But there are ways to overcome that monotony. That is why dishes are invented so the taste would differ even if the main ingredient is the same. Just for the sake of argument, take the case of the potato which can be fried as french fries, can be boiled to make mashed potatoes or can be broiled like baked potatoes. And to further enhance the taste, you can add flavoring like butter or cheese or simply salt. With fish, it's the same that applies - you can fry or broil or make into fish broth soup.

When I was in high school, I usually come home to an empty house at around 4pm, the time for a mid afternoon snack. The usual snack would be sliced bread and butter. To avoid the monotony, I learned how to fry an egg and later I also learned how to make an egg sandwich. I hope I have shared something beneficial.

5. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    In a survival situation. I think you should be lucky to have something to eat then nothing at all. I can see kids pouting over eating the same thing everyday, but when your life depends on it, you have to make due. As my mom use to say, "you don't like it, don't eat". Be happy you have something as some people don't have the luxury of eating everyday.

6. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    This is just a mental thing... ie. getting bored with what you are eating. It's still food and it will keep you going. Over longer timeframes you do need to switch it up, simply because our bodies aren't designed to run on a single type of food and you'll be leaving out some key nutrients if you are only eating one thing. Short term... it's ok. Long term, yeah you need to find alternatives. (which is quite easy really, even if you are just fishing then find different types of fish, have some vegetable only dishes etc.

7. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Huh, I generally eat the same thing every day and have been doing so for the past 5 years. The only exception is when I go out with friends to a restaurant or pick up lunch or dinner at the convenience store, which happens probably once every 6 months.
    I guess it's a mental thing. In a survival situation, I probably would be perfectly fine eating a select number of available foods all the time. As long as I have energy and am getting decent nutrition. That's all that matters to me.

8. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    When there is a lot of food to choose from even if you can't afford to buy it or circumstances rule that out, eating the same thing every day can be make you nauseous. However when there are no options but to eat anything that is available I don't think eating the same thing every day would be a problem. In fact if you have to ration the food, I'm sure you'd have quite an appetite and you'll be looking forward to your next meal every day.

9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    in an extreme situation I think we'd just be happy having anything to eat! talk about "looking a gift horse in the mouth"!!:D

John Snort likes this.
  10. ally79

ally79 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    This is where the old adage store what you eat and eat what you store comes from. We eat a variety of foods so I store a variety of foods. Keeping spices around is a great option too. being married to a chef has taught me a wide variety of ways to very simply turn a meal of say chicken and rice into many different dishes.

11. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    This is why foraging can help. If you look for many different edible wild plants nuts, and berries you'll have variety. You can also season your food with wild herbs that you find to add flavor. Just eating fish and potatoes can be really boring. Still eating the same thing is way better than eating nothing.

12. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJ New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I can remember eating chicken for weeks at a time when I was younger and, yes, it did get boring and monotonous after a period of several days but, all in all, I was glad to have a steady source of food. Boiled chicken is fairly 'meh' but it you can get a nice fire going and manage to find some wild herbs, then roasted/grilled chicken will always hit the spot.

13. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    We have eaten topramen for a week before and always with a different flavor which made it easier to endure.
    I think in a situation where you had no other choice but to eat what you have and if it is the same over and over again I would eat it.
    But I am sure there are ways to avoid this, such as bringing a variety of foods with you!

14. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    All depends on how hungry you actually are, not how hungry you think you are!

15. katjamas

katjamas New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I mean if you have to pick between eating the same thing everyday or not eating at all then the first choice seems very good to me. But I guess you will get sick of eating the same stuff over and over again and the organism will probably get tired and bored of the same food and It might become less nutritious to you.

16. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Our bodies need a variety of foods to function properly. There is not one food that has everything that our body needs. This on the other hand doesn't mean we cant survive on one or two ingredients for a certain amount of time but sooner or later your body will show signs of malnutrition. It won't be in a week though it will take longer then that.

17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    our ancient ancestors ate about 2000 different foods, modern humans eat only about 200-maybe less.

18. Arctic21

Arctic21 New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    It really depends on the kind of food you are eating. Fish is something I would get sick of in a short time. Something I could eat for a long time would be beef since it's satisfying for me and I love the taste. When you are very hungry you won't really think about it too much though.

19. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    There has been a greater amount of uniformity in what we eat. In the past people would eat what was available to them, since there weren't any stores they had to suffice with what there geographic area provided for them. I personally think that we have lost a lot in the past decade in relation to ingredients for food. Many might disagree with me but if we have to compare what our grandparents or great grandparents ate we don't have as much diversity of local plants on our plate as they did.

20. Sealpikachu

Sealpikachu Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    It is really admirable that you went through that and take things to learn from! I am not a very picky eater but my mom did raise me to know that, if i threw food away, I would be throwing out a blessing others did not have. To thhis day, I can't even throw away leftovers. Will save everything and try to incorporate it in new meals not to waste.

schiavonecalvin likes this.
  21. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJ New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    It is true that eating the same food or limited number of food items every day will eventually lead to malnutrition and/or vitamin deficiency unless they are fortified with vitamins and minerals that are not naturally present in the food item. Humans ate a much wider variety of foods thousands of years ago since there were no such things as fortified cereal/milk/bread, multivitamins and other altered foodstuffs and thus, needed to eat dozens of food items to meet their dietary requirements. Nowadays, one bowl of Total, a cheeseburger on a multigrain bun, a glass of calcium-fortified orange juice, a baked potato and a banana would basically be enough to get 100% of your dietary requirements (if not your caloric requirements). How things have changed over the years ..

22. Rere

Rere New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    Well in my case I do not mind eating the same thing everyday for a week. I guess when you have involuntarily gone days without food you appreciate eating anything that is available. Homelessness is one of the situations that I am not proud to have gone through, but i am proud of the person that I have become through it all. Not to say that you are one of them, but To this day, I frown on picky eaters.

23. JeffHart

JeffHart New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    In a prior post on here I shared how I ate the same 3 items for 7 days. It was boring. I felt physically fine and my appetite was content.
    Psychologically, it was messing with me. I wanted something vibrant and definitely different to eat. I think it was because I COULD have something different to eat
    because the rest of the world can. Heck, the people in my own hometown were, so, why in the world am I eating these 3 things for a week!

I believe, if there was a disaster in our region, a switch would go off. The idea of "I live to eat" would change to "I eat to live". Our minds wouldn't look at food as plentiful and a
    token of entertainment. I believe we would become grateful for that fish or that spoonful of peanut butter, because it sustains us to live for another day.

This is my food for thought ;)

24. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    why would you eat the same things every day? that's just bad planning.

25. kamar19

kamar19 Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    well that may be true but I thinks it's a mind thing. We get use to mixing a variety of foods together but if the same food gives you the right amount of balance nutrition, one would think that you would not get sick from eating the same thing, but I never went long periods of time eating the same thing.

26. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Eating the same thing repeatedly day in day out can could sometimes play on one's appetite to the point that you may find it difficult to continue with that recipe for any longer. In a matter of survival, you may have to find a way to train yourself to accept whatever is available because your life may depend on it. Take note that there are some cultures in which the inhabitants really don't have that much of a variety when it comes to their diet and they have been able to endure and survive in spite of this the limited choice.

27. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    I'm Sorry for that and I agree with you eating same thing can be nauseous and Can make you really hate that food completely but You know what you had to do was just change the recipes, I believe that if you cooked them Fishes and potatoes everyday in different recipes you would not feel that way it helps to change taste and give you impression that you're eating different things :) Fishes and potatoes are healthy I would not give them up for anything If I had them As my only choice, Just change recipes for example today you eat Boilled potatoes with grilled fish tomorrow you boil fish etc.

28. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I think it's a way of your brain telling you that it needs something else in your diet. I don't think for a short period of time it would affect your health but it might over a longer period. There are a lot minerals and vitamins that you can only get in certain types of food and if you don't get them, your brain will find a way of making find them.

29. m33kuh

m33kuh Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    I don't mind and If it's a must, I never will I guess. Because I have eaten almost the same thing everyday when I was a kid. So my stomach will never complain. Sometimes our brain tells us that they've had enough but who is it to judge? Lol. As long as I am not starving, I will eat almost any edible food.