Economy after a disaster.

Discussion in 'Financial Planning' started by jonthai, Jun 14, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. jonthai

jonthai New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    How do you think the economy is going to go after a disaster? In an apocalyptic state, I'm sure people wouldn't be bothered to go to the ATM and pick some cash up.How do you think it will influence the way we live, after the disaster happens? Personally, I think that for the first days, not many people will be bothered, but as we rebuild our lifes, it will start to sink in.

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    after an apocalypse what economy? I don't think there will be one. it will be consigned to history, paper money will be useful for starting a fire and that is all.
    daily living will be about finding the resources for daily survival, principally food and water.

GS AutoTech and John Snort like this.
  3. jonthai

jonthai New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I know,but someday we have to start an economy again. Don't you think? I mean, I'm thinking people will start trading goods for other goods... that's economy.

4. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I think trading will become the ultimate form of currency. Nobody would care about money if the money was hyper-volatile, they'd just want certain essentials beyond all else. Being able to make pottery, for example, would be an easy way to trade for labor if somebody didn't know how to fire clay or make a quick little oven...cooking for that matter, etc. I can make a cob oven in a few hours of work (3~6+drying time), I could easily trade that service for all kinds of stuff.

5. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    trading post apocalypse will be a long way down the road-maybe years, would you know when its safe to trade and if the other person isn't after all your stores? nope me neither.

6. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    One thing I have observed about economies after a disaster is that the process of picking up the pieces and rebuilding of the infrastructure creates alot of opportunities for all cadres of professionals ranging from engineers, plumbers and a wide array of entrepreneurs. Its not uncommon to find a war economy recording double digit growth.

7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yeah but if we are talking apocalypse and I assume we are, the manufacturing process for all the stuff that those engineers and plumbers you speak of will be absent.
    even in a war, even the second world war, the manufacturing factories were still up and running, some of them got bombed but they just shifted the manufacturing to another location, but if the manufacturing is gone, and in an apocalypse it would be, then you have to start all over again, from the bottom up.
    in an apocalypse people are more interested in putting food on the table than starting civilisation all over again.

8. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    I think people will come to realize sooner rather than later that they can do without money. Right now people work to earn money so they can buy food.

Post apocalypse people won't need the money to buy food. Everyone will have a farm. Food. They'll learn to enjoy life without all the extra things money could buy them.

9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    you only need money to pay taxes, without a government there will be no need for taxes.
    you will be able to grow your own food and raise animals, everyone will be self reliant if not self sufficient.

10. Arboreal

Arboreal Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    As long as the ATMs are working, it's not been an apocalypse yet :p In the unlikely event of a global collapse of modernity, the begining period will have primitve economy, and scavenging (and, sadly, raiding) for supplies - chiefly food, but also stuff like medicine, fule, ammo - left from before the Event will make much of it. Any productive activity would be likely centered around immediate survival and even smaller communities would aim for a high degree of self-reliance. Once thing begin to settle down and regional trade networks are re-estabilished, the more developed economy will reappear, just that there certainly gonna be new currencies etc.

11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    oh dear, listen to "rose tinted glasses":Dsadly it will be nothing like that, we'll have to start from the bottom up once the power goes off.

12. Rere

Rere New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    One thing I have observed about economies after a disaster is that the process of picking up the pieces and rebuilding of the infrastructure creates alot of opportunities for all cadres of professionals ranging from engineers, plumbers and a wide array of entrepreneurs. Its not uncommon to find a war economy recording double digit growth.