Emergency/homeless Shelter

Discussion in 'Natural, Temporary, and Permanent Shelter' started by joshposh, Jun 7, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys, I just found this video on Youtube that shows off a cool concept and design in emergency shelters. It is not a natural shelter where you use leaves and vines. But I thought it was a good idea in most weather conditions. You can stay dry and out of the elements with this little guy. But I would like to see one that can fold up as shipping and traveling with it and carrying it on your back would be a big issue.

2. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    It looks like a hibernation capsule. Is compact, cosy and easy to assemble. But I have my qualms in regard of the material: fluted plastic. That kind of plastic is sturdy corrugated plastic lighter in weight than wood and solid PVC sheets. Its fluted ribs support its surfaces making it tough and abuse resistant. It's also chemical and water resistant too.
    All cool but there's the minor detail that fluted plastic is rare.

3. joshposh

260/345

Blog Posts:
    Points taken. But the idea is there and sound. I don't think it is in mass production or else I would of seen one by now. I'm sure there are other materials that could be used to construct something like this in the future. I still want a version that can fold up and be carried in a back pack. If I was in heavy snow like area, I would rather have this instead of a tent.

4. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    Yes, traveling with it is an issue, because unless you are planning on doing some camping and you brought it along, survival situations tend to be a bit unexpected. So you really wouldn't be able to anticipate bringing such a luxury along in case you ever get stranded in the middle of nowhere with barely anything on you, much less a high tech and professional grade build it yourself shelter. So maybe make it a bit smaller, a bit more accessible, and we may have something here. But for now, unless you're planning on a camping trip, you probably wouldn't even consider bringing this along in your vacation.

5. joshposh

260/345

Blog Posts:
    I think the creator can produce a model where it does fold outward like a monocular. To bring down the size even further, why not cut the overall circumference by 25% and we might have something that could possibly be strapped to your bike. Lots of possibilities here.

pTVOfd1QeaLqH2pdNIYXJVErudEdM3xa.jpeg

6. jonthai

jonthai New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    That seems like a really cool idea. Personally, with all these new tutorials and knowledge on how to make a shelter based on leafs and sticks , i don't think that that shelter would have allot of sales. It would have to be a low price to actually sell it to people, otherwise people are just going to buy a tent or other cheap shelters.

7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've seen this before, probably alright for homeless that are staying in one area but a problem if they wanted to move on.

8. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    This looks like something you go camping in. This may be for the homeless, but I think survivalist could us this also. You can stay warm in it and even put a good quality mattress in there. This could have multiple uses. Cool video.

9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    moving them would be the problem.