Even When The "big One" Hits Los Angeles Will Never Be Like Haiti

Discussion in 'Earthquake' started by DeeFree, May 26, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. DeeFree

DeeFree New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    The fathers of Los Angeles have long taken earthquakes seriously. I remember as a junior administrative analyst for the city of Los Angeles way back in the nineties, Mayor Riordan made earthquake retrofitting a budget priority every year he was in office. He took his cue from Tom Bradley who made retrofitting of all city buildings a part of the five-year-capital improvement program. It took ten years and a lot of fundraising to retrofit city hall itself which was built in the 1920s.

The worst earthquake in an urban center in North America was the 6.7 Northridge earthquake in 1994. Black Angelenos call it the "Kingdom Day Earthquake" because it happened on January 15th, Martin Luther King's birthday which was a public holiday that day. Fifty-seven people were killed, thousands of homes and office buildings were damaged and many roads and freeways were made unusable.

Compare that with the 2010 7.0 earthquake in Haiti, sixteen years later: 100,000 to 316,000 people killed, 250,000 homes and 30,000 office buildings destroyed. No need to state the obvious reasons for this disparity and I only point it out because when Americans want to compare disaster threats and which ones they prefer to endure I wonder if they know that Los Angeles is probably the best place on the planet to ride out an inevitable monster earthquake.

2. working3

working3 New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I live in California now and I'm terrified of an earthquake. I only hear stories and I felt a mild shake once but I am so very scared of the "big one". I used to live on what was considered a fault line. I looked it up once and I still don't know what it means but it's scary as heck to think that where I lived put me in even more danger. And then there was the issue of living and working 6 miles from the beach. I heard about the Tsunamis and such. I got the heck out of that area, even though it was very nice. I didn't move for that specific reason but I was sure glad to go.