Extract Water From Any Healthy Plant

Discussion in 'Finding, Purifying, and Storing Water' started by Coputere, Jun 20, 2016.

Extract Water From Any Healthy Plant 5 5 2votes
5/5, 2 votes

1. Coputere

Coputere New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I am sure that everyone is aware that there mostly all plants are full of water , not just certain types of plants .

Because this fact, extracting water from plants is not as specific to some plants as it is made to seem.

By using the transpiration process to your advantage you will be able to extract water from almost any health plant.

The items that you will be needing is 1. a healthy leafy plant 2. a fresh and clear plastic bag 3. a string long enough to tie around the mouth of the bag.

Find a healthy leafy plant that is not toxic in any way and also has branches with an abundance of leaves since the leaves will become the source of water.

Make sure that there is no strange debris or that there are no insects on the branches that you would like to use.

Cover that branch that is abundant with leaves so that it sits inside of the bag.

Use the string and tie off the mouth of the clear bag so that it is air tight.

The transpiration process will do the rest and given some time you will have drinkable water in any situation.

One bag will most likely not be enough to give you a substantial amount of water so have a good number of bags and strings with you, just in case. FHCCTXYHI3TP0K9.MEDIUM.jpg

F9B6G68HI3TP0KM.MEDIUM.jpg

F7VW3FVHI3U4JEW.MEDIUM.jpg

joshposh and GrecianShamrock like this.
  2. schiavonecalvin

schiavonecalvin New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    This may sound a bit far fetched but there has to be some validity to it. Do you think that after you extract the water from the plant that you could also feed them their own water supply as well? I doubt anyone has ever tried creating a renewable food source for plants before.

3. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    I watched this movie called "Approaching The Unknown", it was super boring, but the point is that the astronaut in the movie screwed up his supply of water on his way to be the first man to colonize Mars. He had to figure out a way to make some amount of water, as any amount of water is better than none. He put some plants that he grew inside the spaceship inside of a container and put plastic over if to make the condensation that would form... pour into a cup and he would use that to make it to Mars.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I'm not being scientific but I think most of the water came from the condensation. As I remember our general science teacher talking about the process of evaporation and condensation, she made us understand that there is water in the atmosphere and so we can create water like magic, without any input, water will come out from the air. But in fairness to this thread, I think that plastic trick is one good way of creating water to drink.

5. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    Good find. This is something I will keep in mind and pass along to my kids when taking the in the forest. It may take all day to get some water out of a single branch, but as you said, just use a lot of bags. I'll have my liter of water in a half the day with several of these.

6. chelsknits

chelsknits New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    This is really interesting! I've never thought of doing it before. In a pinch, I'm sure it would be better than no water at all. And like you said, as long as you had a lot of bags and strings then you could harvest a decent amount of water at once. My question would be whether or not it harms the plant though. If you were in a survival situation and used this method to get water, would you be slowly killing off the plants around you?

schiavonecalvin likes this.
  7. Christavia

Christavia New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Very interesting article. I should be trying this sometime but I guess I have to be careful as to what plants to extract the water from as I know some plants are poisonous or is it that the water would still be safe to use even though? Please enlighten me on that aspect. Thanks

8. chelsknits

chelsknits New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    This is a very good point. If the plant is something you shouldn't be touching, like poison ivy, I'd think that would obviously be out. If it was something that was only harmful if it was actually ingested, I'm not too sure since you wouldn't be actually eating the plant, just water from it. Personally, I wouldn't want to risk it and I would just find other plants I could use that I knew were safe.

9. schiavonecalvin

schiavonecalvin New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I am thinking that because it will be like a greenhouse effect or any climate with a severe humidity, the plant will be alright. I'm not sure, but I'm just guessing that might be the case.

10. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    If you were dying of thirst I dont think you should be worrying about the plant dying. I think it's silly to worry about that when your can die from dehydration.